*** 2019 SG Jaylen Forbes SIGNS with Bama*** - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: *** 2019 SG Jaylen Forbes SIGNS with Bama***

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I always found the 3 point contest arrangement for having to reach down and pick up the ball from the ball rack as distracting. This is especially true if you are a "catch and shoot" type player. I think it favors the guy who is more comfortable shooting off the dribble to some extent.

But, based on the video I shared earlier in the thread, he's a 3 point threat.
    I agree. Reese is an example of a catch and shoot guy, with an excellent stroke, for all the complaining about his flat arc last year. I think Oats will find ways to use him more...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I agree. Reese is an example of a catch and shoot guy, with an excellent stroke, for all the complaining about his flat arc last year. I think Oats will find ways to use him more...
    It's a flat shot, but it probably looks a little flatter because he's so tall.

At 6' 2" I had a rather flat shot but it's because my Jr. High gym had a very low roof. It's how I learned to shoot, but I adjusted a little into high school and college. A higher arc usually is a softer shot, but you can be deadly accurate with a flat shot.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I have a friend who used to complain that he was a 3, trapped in a 4's body. I always replied "Just quit eating, Cary"...
    The problem is he is so slow to be a 3. If you put him in to play the 3 to shoot from the outside which is what he is best at then you give up some defense because he can't guard a typical 3. If you put him inside which is what he is built for then he really isn't much of a threat to score. I want him to develop as a 4 because he does seem to have fairly good instincts and then he could get more minutes and still step outside and shoot the 3 when needed. But I don't want him to be a full-time 3 because I think that hurts us more than it helps us.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Otis Thorpe, Dennis Rodman....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rodman was a point forward? Are you sure you're not thinking about Pippen?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    The problem is he is so slow to be a 3. If you put him in to play the 3 to shoot from the outside which is what he is best at then you give up some defense because he can't guard a typical 3. If you put him inside which is what he is built for then he really isn't much of a threat to score. I want him to develop as a 4 because he does seem to have fairly good instincts and then he could get more minutes and still step outside and shoot the 3 when needed. But I don't want him to be a full-time 3 because I think that hurts us more than it helps us.
    I think Reese would likely play more of a 3 position on offense but probably a 4 on defense. It appears that Oats will usually have one or two extra guard/wing positions on offense. When he mentioned 4-out/1-in and 5-out, he was talking offense. I agree that Reese has very good instincts; he rarely commits a turnover. He also has shown a nice touch in closer to the basket.

Reese had the 2nd highest 3-point percentage the past season; Ingram was highest and I'm not counting Hall's 100%...

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    Rodman was a point forward? Are you sure you're not thinking about Pippen?
    Its the last sentence in the post I quoted. PF is power forward and the two I listed for right in with the best of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson