Romanian editorial on 9/11...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can't find how to link this, so I'll post it with attribution...

~An Ode to America ~

Why are Americans so united? They would not resemble one another even if you painted them all one color! They speak all the languages of the world and form an astonishing mixture of civilizations and religious beliefs.
On 9/ll, the American tragedy turned three hundred million people into a hand put on the heart. Nobody rushed to accuse the White House, the Army, or the Secret Service that they are only a bunch of losers. Nobody rushed to empty their bank accounts. Nobody rushed out onto the streets nearby to gape about.
Instead the Americans volunteered to donate blood and to give a helping hand.
After the first moments of panic, they raised their flag over the smoking ruins, putting on T-shirts, caps and ties in the colors of the national flag. They placed flags on buildings and cars as if in every place and on every car a government official or the president was passing. On every occasion, they started singing: 'God Bless America !'
I watched the live broadcast and rerun after rerun for hours listening to the story of the guy who went down one hundred floors with a woman in a wheelchair without knowing who she was, or of the Californian hockey player, who gave his life fighting with the terrorists and prevented the plane from hitting a target that could have killed other hundreds or thousands of people.
How on earth were they able to respond united as one human being? Imperceptibly, with every word and musical note, the memory of some turned into a modern myth of tragic heroes. And with every phone call, millions and millions of dollars were put into collection aimed at rewarding not a man or a family, but a spirit, which no money can buy. What on earth unites the Americans in such a way? Their land? Their history? Their economic Power? Money? I tried for hours to find an answer, humming songs and murmuring phrases with the risk of sounding commonplace, I thought things over, I reached but only one conclusion... Only freedom can work such miracles.

Cornel Nistorescu

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
We are still that same America. Something happened to change us between 9/11/2001 and now, we would still unite against a common enemy but I doubt it would be the same. Somehow or someone would turn whatever happened into a political fight, we are just that divided.

I am not blaming our previous POTUS, but it was during his watch that we became so divided. Used to be our elected officials in Washington could fight on the House or Senate floor, then go out for drinks and dinner. No more, things have turned personal now. Perfect example is the Democrats cancelling the annual Dem/Repub softball game. Nothing can get done like this. We should all show support for our elected leaders, if we don't like what's happening, then make a statement at the voting booth. If you disagree with current laws, petition your elected leaders to change the laws.

The current behavior on both sides is childish and unAmerican.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Tragedy unites. Even today, it would unite us again. Though I do believe the window of Patriotism continues to shrink.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
While an attack on our country united us in 2001, it divided us in 2016. Many books will be written on why.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
While an attack on our country united us in 2001, it divided us in 2016. Many books will be written on why.
Geez dude, he is so in your head......

You are going to age much faster if you can’t find a way to just move along and wait it out. It may not be fun but it won’t slowly eat away at you if you find a way to cope.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Geez dude, he is so in your head......

You are going to age much faster if you can’t find a way to just move along and wait it out. It may not be fun but it won’t slowly eat away at you if you find a way to cope.
This dismissive attitude from some on the right is a huge part of the problem.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The problem is that your personal health has to be paramount. Not being dismissive. You can’t change anything. So why let it continue to consume you?
You infer far too much about my state of mind. More importantly, I certainly can change things if I vote and others are moved to vote through discourse. Your learned helplessness leads to social stagnation and is the enemy of progress.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have thought about the article Earle posted above; it hits the proverbial nail on the head. I have lived through conservative and liberal administrations for many years and when the departing administration left, I knew there would be change with the incoming administration, but I never feared for the rights and freedom of American citizens. I always believed the new POTUS (who may not have been my choice) was basically a moral person who, regardless of his party affiliation, believed in the rights of all Americans, stood against tyranny and for the rights of all humanity. IMO, I believed most Americans felt the same way. Boy, did I have a lot to learn about America.

This unfortunately all changed when Trump was sworn in as POTUS. As Americans we can no longer be assured of the many freedoms we have enjoyed and certainly have to fear for our nation's security. When the rise to power is achieved by divisiveness rather than unity then the foundation of our country is in great jeopardy. I have never been a fan of parties or labels, but I can assure you that Trump does not care about a Republican or Democrat agenda, his only concern is his self gratification and sadly this will come at the expense of the American citizen.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You infer far too much about my state of mind. More importantly, I certainly can change things if I vote and others are moved to vote through discourse. Your learned helplessness leads to social stagnation and is the enemy of progress.
Just observing your posts.....perhaps that don't match your state of mind.

Well we've had many many months of "discourse" and I'm guessing not one mind was changed....but by all means keep at it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This opportunity may give you a glimpse into why compliance with the Constitution is so important. If the Constitution is followed, one actor within that system has limited power to do much evil.
Instead, both parties seem quite willing to violate some constitutional provision in order to get their policy enacted, because the end justifies the means. "My ends are so virtuous and important that the means do not matter" seems to be the guiding principle.

Two examples are in order.
1. The Democrats wanted to get Obamacare enacted. The Constitution requires that all tax bills originate in the House because the House, facing elections every two years, is theoretically the more democratic of the two. The Democrats announced that Obamacare was not a tax, because the version that they "deemed to have passed" was the Senate version. Ironically, once to was passed, the Administration said in court that it was a tax.
2. U.S. military action requires congressional approval, some (e.g. John Randolph of Virginia) would say a declaration of war, but at least legislative approval. U.S. military action in Syria today is pursuant to an authorization for the use of force in al Qaeda.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I have thought about the article Earle posted above; it hits the proverbial nail on the head. I have lived through conservative and liberal administrations for many years and when the departing administration left, I knew there would be change with the incoming administration, but I never feared for the rights and freedom of American citizens. I always believed the new POTUS (who may not have been my choice) was basically a moral person who, regardless of his party affiliation, believed in the rights of all Americans, stood against tyranny and for the rights of all humanity. IMO, I believed most Americans felt the same way. Boy, did I have a lot to learn about America.

This unfortunately all changed when Trump was sworn in as POTUS. As Americans we can no longer be assured of the many freedoms we have enjoyed and certainly have to fear for our nation's security. When the rise to power is achieved by divisiveness rather than unity then the foundation of our country is in great jeopardy. I have never been a fan of parties or labels, but I can assure you that Trump does not care about a Republican or Democrat agenda, his only concern is his self gratification and sadly this will come at the expense of the American citizen.
Wow! I thought that TDS was a joke, but now I believe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.