Watching the Hall of Fame Game and this Helmet Rule is awful

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It's now illegal to initiate contact with the crown of the helmet but there has been three fouls called and two of them didn't match this rule.
Not just the crown of the helmet, but to initiate contact with ANY PART of the helmet. I suspect it will become a discretion call like holding.

That being said, why isn't the rule being equally applied to offensive players, mainly running backs, who always lower their helmets into the chests of potential tacklers? If not, then the rule isn't about safety, its about turning offenses loose to excite fans.
I agree completely. There were many calls the last few years where the defensive players were setting up to make a perfectly legal tackle in the chest but the offensive player ducked for cover at the last second which caused the helmet to helmet contact. I saw another play when a defensive player was set up to make a perfect tackle in the thigh area and the QB jumped right before the tackle and was hit in the knee area. A flag was thrown. They showed a replay and Danielson even said that it was a terrible tackle in the knee area. What? If a defensive player does everything perfectly and the offensive player makes a last second adjustment for protection or to gain extra yards, why does the defensive player get punished? It is absolutely moronic. If the offensive players are scared of injury they should drop to a knee and go to the next play. They know all the rules are there to help them, though, so they take advantage of it. That's wrong. I say let them play football. Now, with that said, it is clear when guys are trying to take cheap shots and decapitate someone. Call those fouls and sit those guys out for two games, and things should be fine. Okay, I'll get off the soap box now.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
In many areas, the NFL is bending over backwards to satisfy people who don't even like the league. Their fanbase however, who like the military, the flag and huge bone crushing hits are the ones they treat like crap. This fact is starting to show in the ratings as the NFL becomes ever more politically correct.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In many areas, the NFL is bending over backwards to satisfy people who don't even like the league. Their fanbase however, who like the military, the flag and huge bone crushing hits are the ones they treat like crap. This fact is starting to show in the ratings as the NFL becomes ever more politically correct.
I believe you strike at the heart of the issue!!!

Our PC culture is killing us. There are all kinds of legalized harmful things that hurt and sometimes kill people (smoking, drinking, deviant sexual behaivor). People can choose to participate or not, but where is the outrage regarding those things?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Stopped on the titans/packers game last night just channel surfing. 3 plays. That's all I could do, 3 plays. First was an incomplete pass with defensive holding flag. 2nd was a run play stopped for 2 yard loss...and the 3rd was an incomplete pass with a defensive penalty for tackling (new helmet rule). Should be called nfm league...not for me league. If you added all the segments I watched last year, you may get a quarter. I'll just not watch anymore.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
As usual, you state your case well and make good points, but we are all going to die of something even if we walk around in a sterile environment wrapped in bubble wrap. I used to head butt things a lot in high school because we thought it was funny to act like wrestlers. It was stupid, and, fortunately, I figured out how stupid when I nearly knocked myself out when I got angry and head-butted some old wooden bleachers. I am pretty sure that my brain received some damage from the those stupid choices and from banging heads in basketball and other things. I am guessing that soccer players have some issues with brain trauma from all of the headers, but not many people talk about getting rid of soccer. Anyway, my main point is that I hope football doesn't go away just because some people think it is too brutal. I don't think it is, and I think many others do not, so I think people should have a choice to play. Yes, it should be an educated decision based on the scientific information we now possess, but people should be allowed to play if they so desire. I'm guessing that more and more parents will stop allowing their children to play, which will eventually shrink the available pool of players, but that is different from some group of people forcing their beliefs on others. Again, this is just my opinion, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Not to worry. Basketball will eventually do to football what it is doing to Baseball. Basketball coaches are sapping baseball and football talent in my area year round. They never stop playing. I am not a fan of basketball. At all.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Not to worry. Basketball will eventually do to football what it is doing to Baseball. Basketball coaches are sapping baseball and football talent in my area year round. They never stop playing. I am not a fan of basketball. At all.
I know what you are saying, but around my area baseball is king. Kids literally are on the field for 10 out of 12 months sometimes playing league and travel ball and doing lessons. Which puts you on the ball field just about every day. They start them at 7/8 years old too. Most kids around here have no clue about basketball at all.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.