Watching the Hall of Fame Game and this Helmet Rule is awful

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Wow, I hope this doesn't trickle down to the College level and I'm all for player safety but some of these tackles are routine tackles that are being flagged. One even resulted in Ravens scoring.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Well, the No Fun League just got worse then.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Football is going to die if it doesn’t change. I hate to say that, but CTE is real.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Football is going to die if it doesn’t change. I hate to say that, but CTE is real.
CTE may in fact be very real, but football will also die if it keeps making rules that make the game unwatchable. If all of the dangers are presented and people still want to play the game, I think they should be allowed to play. I doubt very seriously that 80,000 people are going to fill stadiums with millions more tuning in to watch flag football. Cigarettes are very harmful, but I think people should be able to smoke them if they can keep their smoke to themselves. I think it is smart to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle or four wheeler, but if a person wants to ride without one, he/she should be able to do so. These are just my opinions, but I do hate to see the game of football lost to society. I believe the benefits of team building and toughness outweigh the harms. I played basketball a lot growing up, and my knees now give me trouble, but I wouldn't change a thing about playing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
CTE may in fact be very real, but football will also die if it keeps making rules that make the game unwatchable. If all of the dangers are presented and people still want to play the game, I think they should be allowed to play. I doubt very seriously that 80,000 people are going to fill stadiums with millions more tuning in to watch flag football. Cigarettes are very harmful, but I think people should be able to smoke them if they can keep their smoke to themselves. I think it is smart to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle or four wheeler, but if a person wants to ride without one, he/she should be able to do so. These are just my opinions, but I do hate to see the game of football lost to society. I believe the benefits of team building and toughness outweigh the harms. I played basketball a lot growing up, and my knees now give me trouble, but I wouldn't change a thing about playing.
I love football. It is a huge part of my life, and I have many family members whose entire livelihood depends on the sport. But if it is really killing people then I would have no problem with its demise.

The problem - we do not know enough about CTE because doctors are only studying the brains of people who were suspected of having CTE. What we need is a study of people who died at various ages, and from various causes not related to brain function, who showed no symptoms of CTE, but had a history of playing football. That would let the doctors connect the dots more definitively. Because, if it is really doing what they think it is doing, the damage will show up in the brains of most/all people who have played the sport for a period of time, though the symptoms might not be as obvious or severe in some/most.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I love football. It is a huge part of my life, and I have many family members whose entire livelihood depends on the sport. But if it is really killing people then I would have no problem with its demise.

The problem - we do not know enough about CTE because doctors are only studying the brains of people who were suspected of having CTE. What we need is a study of people who died at various ages, and from various causes not related to brain function, who showed no symptoms of CTE, but had a history of playing football. That would let the doctors connect the dots more definitively. Because, if it is really doing what they think it is doing, the damage will show up in the brains of most/all people who have played the sport for a period of time, though the symptoms might not be as obvious or severe in some/most.
I bet you love football a little less this week than last ;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This rule is hot garbage. They've got to get it cleaned up before the regular season. It was called as inconsistently last night as the college targeting rule..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I bet you love football a little less this week than last ;)
Being frustrated with the Smith/Meyer thing is not going to impact my football passion at all, but it does make me worry about my school. This is not the only thing going on at OSU that casts a shadow. We need to find out how this kind of thing keeps happening and fix it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Being frustrated with the Smith/Meyer thing is not going to impact my football passion at all, but it does make me worry about my school. This is not the only thing going on at OSU that casts a shadow. We need to find out how this kind of thing keeps happening and fix it.
Just giving you a little grief.....I'd hate for this to be happening to Bama - so for that reason, I'm sorry you are having to deal with it.

Go hire a nice guy.....and be okay with 9-3 every year..... ;)

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Whenever they introduce new rules they always call it way too much in the preseason to give everyone the idea and then scale it back when the regular season starts. Not worried.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

As usual, you state your case well and make good points, but we are all going to die of something even if we walk around in a sterile environment wrapped in bubble wrap. I used to head butt things a lot in high school because we thought it was funny to act like wrestlers. It was stupid, and, fortunately, I figured out how stupid when I nearly knocked myself out when I got angry and head-butted some old wooden bleachers. I am pretty sure that my brain received some damage from the those stupid choices and from banging heads in basketball and other things. I am guessing that soccer players have some issues with brain trauma from all of the headers, but not many people talk about getting rid of soccer. Anyway, my main point is that I hope football doesn't go away just because some people think it is too brutal. I don't think it is, and I think many others do not, so I think people should have a choice to play. Yes, it should be an educated decision based on the scientific information we now possess, but people should be allowed to play if they so desire. I'm guessing that more and more parents will stop allowing their children to play, which will eventually shrink the available pool of players, but that is different from some group of people forcing their beliefs on others. Again, this is just my opinion, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
As usual, you state your case well and make good points, but we are all going to die of something even if we walk around in a sterile environment wrapped in bubble wrap. I used to head butt things a lot in high school because we thought it was funny to act like wrestlers. It was stupid, and, fortunately, I figured out how stupid when I nearly knocked myself out when I got angry and head-butted some old wooden bleachers. I am pretty sure that my brain received some damage from the those stupid choices and from banging heads in basketball and other things. I am guessing that soccer players have some issues with brain trauma from all of the headers, but not many people talk about getting rid of soccer. Anyway, my main point is that I hope football doesn't go away just because some people think it is too brutal. I don't think it is, and I think many others do not, so I think people should have a choice to play. Yes, it should be an educated decision based on the scientific information we now possess, but people should be allowed to play if they so desire. I'm guessing that more and more parents will stop allowing their children to play, which will eventually shrink the available pool of players, but that is different from some group of people forcing their beliefs on others. Again, this is just my opinion, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
I just don't understand why Boxing and the MMA aren't called out on CTE. How much more violent than Football and soccer would those be deemed in the damage to one's brain?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have heard that heading is banned in some youth soccer leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
It's now illegal to initiate contact with the crown of the helmet but there has been three fouls called and two of them didn't match this rule.
Not just the crown of the helmet, but to initiate contact with ANY PART of the helmet. I suspect it will become a discretion call like holding.

That being said, why isn't the rule being equally applied to offensive players, mainly running backs, who always lower their helmets into the chests of potential tacklers? If not, then the rule isn't about safety, its about turning offenses loose to excite fans.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not just the crown of the helmet, but to initiate contact with ANY PART of the helmet. I suspect it will become a discretion call like holding.

That being said, why isn't the rule being equally applied to offensive players, mainly running backs, who always lower their helmets into the chests of potential tacklers? If not, then the rule isn't about safety, its about turning offenses loose to excite fans.
They said that they were going to start calling that this year. Let's see if they do. I doubt that they will.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I just don't understand why Boxing and the MMA aren't called out on CTE. How much more violent than Football and soccer would those be deemed in the damage to one's brain?
From what I understand, it’s the repeated blows to the head over many years that are the root cause, not the individual big hits.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.