How Much did Tim Tebow's decision to go to Florida impact Alabama and Auburn?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm not sure of this.

Shula was dumb enough to say, "I want to get him into the game so......let's put him at tight end!!!"
Not to mention, even if Tebow stayed at QB, he would have been a QB in Shula's NFL style system. Tebow would not have been Tebow in that system. Shula demonstrated in his first year that he was unwilling to change his style to his players. He inherited a ten win team with a lot of key players returning, and he did not have a spring practice with them. Instead of keeping a lot of the same offensive elements for that team and adjusting to what his players could do, he crammed his style on them in the fall camp and had practically no discipline with conditioning. The result- well, we were terrible and only won four games. Tebow would have been the biggest loser in that scenario because people would have seen that he wasn't a great passer in an NFL system. Of course, this is only my opinion.

CoachThomas

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2006
Myrtle Beach SC
Not to mention, even if Tebow stayed at QB, he would have been a QB in Shula's NFL style system. Tebow would not have been Tebow in that system. Shula demonstrated in his first year that he was unwilling to change his style to his players. He inherited a ten win team with a lot of key players returning, and he did not have a spring practice with them. Instead of keeping a lot of the same offensive elements for that team and adjusting to what his players could do, he crammed his style on them in the fall camp and had practically no discipline with conditioning. The result- well, we were terrible and only won four games. Tebow would have been the biggest loser in that scenario because people would have seen that he wasn't a great passer in an NFL system. Of course, this is only my opinion.
Don't forget bucket step Bob coaching the OL.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
After 25 years in the wilderness, punctuated by individual wins, Stallings' 1991-94 run, and the oases of 1989, 1999,and 2005 we finally caught a break. Actually, a bunch of things had to come together.

-- Tebow went to Florida. For reasons already enumerated, if he had chosen UA, that could have extended the Shula years beyond the window in which Saban was available.

-- Leigh Tiffin melted down in Fayetteville. Missed XPs. Missed chip shot FGs. If he makes any one of them, we win. If we win, we're 3-4 in the SEC, with some really close losses, as viewed by the score. True, we got manhandled. But the score was close, and given the aftereffects of probation and scholarship restrictions, it looks plausible on paper.

-- Herbstreit spills the beans on Miles to Michigan, in the leadup to LSU playing in the BSCNCG. Miles' hand is forced, and he signs a long-term extension of his LSU contract. So LSU wins the NC, and Miles and LSU are now bound at the hip. If Saban wants to return to the college game, it won't be in Baton Rouge.

-- Due to Brees' shoulder injury, Huizenga overrules Saban on Drew Brees and takes Daunte Culpepper....who ironically flames out with myriad injuries from head to toe.

-- Saban realizes the professional game isn't his thing, and wants to get back in the college game.

-- Shula shows his fatal flaw, and essentially refuses to restructure his staff, especially OC, OL coach and DC. Ignores Mal Moore's calls on the return leg of a family Thanksgiving in Florida. Shula forces Moore's hand, and Mal fires him hours (minutes?) after he arrives in Tuscaloosa.

-- But if Herbstreit hadn't spilled, is there any doubt that Miles would have gone home to his alma mater, NC trophy in hand, leaving the LSU job open -- for Saban to make his triumphal return to Red Stick? If that had played out, is there any doubt LSU would be ruling college football the way we are now?

The sun and the moon and the stars lined up, and after a boatload of our own bungling (Dubose and Price), outside treachery (Kramer, Fulmer, Adams, Smith, Sanford, Kirk, Johanningmeier) , and just plain bad luck (Franchione and Price), we ended up with the best coach in CFB history (yes, for a lot of reasons, he surpasses Bryant).

Tebow choosing Florida certainly figures in, but is only one of many factors.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I remember getting to base in 08 on LSU week. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game, but every one of the 30 TVS was on Nebraska-Kansas. I asked for them to change one to Alabama-LSU, and it almost started a riot. They told me and my friends to get out after a few Huskers overheard it. I was called every name in the book. So I ended up watching one of the best Alabama-LSU games on a 10 inch non HD tv at an applebees.
I just re-watched that game earlier this week in research for the 2008 write-up. I'm sitting there puzzled as to why I didn't remember substantial portions of the first half. Then it hit me - I was setting up transfusions that day, so I didn't see most of the first half.

I'd have had a screaming fit had I been watching things like two fumbles at the one-yard line.

Oh for the love of god, don't bring up your opinion about Tom Osbourne. They seriously told me Tom Osbourne was better than CPB and CNS because he didn't cheat, and wasn't a weasel.
Well, I've never said Osborne was a BAD coach. Two words: Lawrence Phillips. (You know - not that I advocate this because I don't - but given that we NOW live in the "let's go find ten-year old tweets and manufacture outrage" combined with "me too," I'm slightly amazed Frosts's hiring didn't elicit more outrage.

I think he will be successful in his own way there - he knows the passion and commitment of the fans, the importance of the program, etc - but I wonder if he realizes that it's impossible to rebuild ancient Rome using ancient means.

This isn't just a select few. Ive worn my Alabama shirt to Nebraska games and got heckled. Lucky I was with a date and booster for 3 of those games who got security to get them out of there.

But you should have fun

Hmmm......that could be fun. Thx for the tips.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just re-watched that game earlier this week in research for the 2008 write-up. I'm sitting there puzzled as to why I didn't remember substantial portions of the first half. Then it hit me - I was setting up transfusions that day, so I didn't see most of the first half.

I'd have had a screaming fit had I been watching things like two fumbles at the one-yard line.
Your doing a 2008 article?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
these jobs were open so speculate.
Air Force
Alabama
Arizona State
Army
Boston College
Central Michigan
Cincinnati
FU
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa State
Louisiana Tech
Louisville
Miami (Fla.)
Michigan State
Minnesota
North Carolina
North Carolina St.
North Texas
Rie
Stanford
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
With him already being in South Beach, it might have been interesting to see what he could have done to the U.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If you are looking for a great steak while in Omaha go to The Drover steakhouse - atmosphere and food are really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
After 25 years in the wilderness, punctuated by individual wins, Stallings' 1991-94 run, and the oases of 1989, 1999,and 2005 we finally caught a break. Actually, a bunch of things had to come together.

-- Tebow went to Florida. For reasons already enumerated, if he had chosen UA, that could have extended the Shula years beyond the window in which Saban was available.

-- Leigh Tiffin melted down in Fayetteville. Missed XPs. Missed chip shot FGs. If he makes any one of them, we win. If we win, we're 3-4 in the SEC, with some really close losses, as viewed by the score. True, we got manhandled. But the score was close, and given the aftereffects of probation and scholarship restrictions, it looks plausible on paper.

-- Herbstreit spills the beans on Miles to Michigan, in the leadup to LSU playing in the BSCNCG. Miles' hand is forced, and he signs a long-term extension of his LSU contract. So LSU wins the NC, and Miles and LSU are now bound at the hip. If Saban wants to return to the college game, it won't be in Baton Rouge.

-- Due to Brees' shoulder injury, Huizenga overrules Saban on Drew Brees and takes Daunte Culpepper....who ironically flames out with myriad injuries from head to toe.

-- Saban realizes the professional game isn't his thing, and wants to get back in the college game.

-- Shula shows his fatal flaw, and essentially refuses to restructure his staff, especially OC, OL coach and DC. Ignores Mal Moore's calls on the return leg of a family Thanksgiving in Florida. Shula forces Moore's hand, and Mal fires him hours (minutes?) after he arrives in Tuscaloosa.

-- But if Herbstreit hadn't spilled, is there any doubt that Miles would have gone home to his alma mater, NC trophy in hand, leaving the LSU job open -- for Saban to make his triumphal return to Red Stick? If that had played out, is there any doubt LSU would be ruling college football the way we are now?

The sun and the moon and the stars lined up, and after a boatload of our own bungling (Dubose and Price), outside treachery (Kramer, Fulmer, Adams, Smith, Sanford, Kirk, Johanningmeier) , and just plain bad luck (Franchione and Price), we ended up with the best coach in CFB history (yes, for a lot of reasons, he surpasses Bryant).

Don't forget Rich Rod turning us down.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Recall the Miles to Michigan story was in 2007, not 2006. Even so, I was afraid if LSU came open in late 2007/early 2008, Saban would have left us after one year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the Tebow recruitment is what got me interested in following recruiting news.

I don't know how it could have changed the coaching situation, but Tebow was a great college qb. His skills, for college were good, but his attitude, leadership and influence on the program and fellow players would have made a positive diffference.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015

GREAT post.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.