News Article: Some non-QB Alabama notes heading into fall camp

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...qb_alabama_notes_head.html#incart_river_index

Expect Trevon Diggs to get some reps at Star during camp. I believe the junior worked exclusively as an outside cornerback during the spring, but it seems like coaches want to take a look at him at that Star spot as well. Either way, Diggs will be a big part of the secondary. Alabama feels good about the progress the junior has made since the end of last year
The last thing for now: Keep an eye on some of these freshmen. We've written about them some already, including as recently as last week with five-star outside linebacker Eyabi Anoma. But Alabama is definitely excited about a few members of this group in particular and feels like they could help the team right away. Anoma, as we've touched on before, was considered by the Tide to be the top pass rusher in this year's recruiting class and has put on about 20 pounds since arriving at Alabama in May. Five-star cornerback Patrick Surtain has some Minkah Fitzpatrick-like characteristics and will be in the mix for a starting job at defensive back. And four-star wide receiver Jaylen Waddle has shown early on with the Tide, as he did throughout the recruiting process, that he's a fast, dynamic guy with the capability to make some big plays. He could push for some playing time at receiver. It also wouldn't be a surprise if he ends up being part of the competition for Alabama's punt returner job. It's not just those guys, though. Cornerback Josh Jobe is another freshman that Tide coaches feel has big upside.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't think we'll be able to keep Jaylen Waddle off the field.

He's the #1 new player I'm most excited to see at PR/KR and WR.

To say he's 'Electric' would be a gross understatement. Love that we went into Texas and got him!!!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Really interested to see what happens with Diggs. I hope he can become a really good player for us (I tend to root for all of the guys from Maryland/DC Suburbs).

I'm also curious to see who ends up being the 4th and 5th WRs. This article doesn't mention him but I have read that Shavers was doing pretty well during spring.

As for the safety position I think there is a real shot that we don't experience a huge drop off despite losing 2 stars in Ronnie and Minkah. I really think Deionte Thompson is going to be a star and it sounds like McKinney might be on his way there as well.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
As for the safety position I think there is a real shot that we don't experience a huge drop off despite losing 2 stars in Ronnie and Minkah. I really think Deionte Thompson is going to be a star and it sounds like McKinney might be on his way there as well.
Same thoughts here on Deionte. Our Secondary seemed to actually improve when he got on the field.

He played really great out there at the end of the season and looks like a Star for sure!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Really glad we've got some football related news. Can't wait to get a report on today's first practice!!!

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I don't think we'll be able to keep Jaylen Waddle off the field.

He's the #1 new player I'm most excited to see at PR/KR and WR.

To say he's 'Electric' would be a gross understatement. Love that we went into Texas and got him!!!
Ditto. This dude has the chance to be super electric in the return game. I know Saban has a history of playing starters on ST but I wouldn’t mind seeing Diggs NOT return punts. Give the kid a shot.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Ditto. This dude has the chance to be super electric in the return game. I know Saban has a history of playing starters on ST but I wouldn’t mind seeing Diggs NOT return punts. Give the kid a shot.
It sounds like Waddle will be a great player on the field. The team needs a few good punt/kick returners so I hope he can contribute without getting injured.

I just read on espn.com that Louisville's best wide receiver, Jaylen Smith, had an emergency appendectomy this morning and is out indefinitely.

There is also a good article written by Chris Low on espn.com today, "Tua or Jalen? Inside the Toughest Call of Nick Saban's Career".

I just pray that the players and coaches will stay healthy and injury free. I look forward to reading practice updates daily! RTR

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Waddle looks great from his HS film. My only worry with him in the short term is his hands. He catches with his body a TON which can be an issue though some WRs get away with it in college a good bit.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We are going to have ton of talent, old and new, in the secondary. If they can communicate and get on the same page I see this group being a strength. TBH, the only positions I am concerned about is ILB and that is depth only and punter.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Really interested to see what happens with Diggs. I hope he can become a really good player for us (I tend to root for all of the guys from Maryland/DC Suburbs).

I'm also curious to see who ends up being the 4th and 5th WRs. This article doesn't mention him but I have read that Shavers was doing pretty well during spring.

I really hope so. Encouraging because our DL and LBs need them back there. Of course that is true of ANY Front 7 BUT we all know our 2ndry will be tested early and often to see if Harrison and Fitzpatrick are really gone. A good 2ndry takes pressure off the front 7 and vice versa as we all know. A player that I grew fond of the last couple of years was Levi Wallace. I think he will be replaced, but he will be missed at times until we get some maturity back there. Levi became a dependable trooper. Enjoyed watching him play. By year's end? We will need that kind of experience against West Georgia U. The Baylor kid can throw a football.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
We are going to have ton of talent, old and new, in the secondary. If they can communicate and get on the same page I see this group being a strength. TBH, the only positions I am concerned about is ILB and that is depth only and punter.
I like your spirit there Bro! I do. We see a lot of that talent early too. Playing Mr Harley wrecker right out of the gate. I promise you that he will test them immediately. Continuity will be key for sure. Coach Lupoi will pull 'em together. Hope they are ready. I expect there will be growing pains. I do think there is talent though. We do need some on field leadership early. And fan support. Dang I can't wait. Want to hit somebody.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To a point I made in the fall camp topic, star and the safeties in end up being critical in stopping the modern spread passing attack that really focuses on your interior coverage. You could make an argument that if you're gonna hide inexperience in the secondary it would be better on the perimeter than the interior. So much of what spread attacks do basically limits the outside receivers to window dressing and screen receptions unless they've got a great quarterback.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Just wondering. I saw an article today at al.com regarding a walk on "Bryce Musso". Apparently, Hurts threw him a TD pass at Saturday's practice. Is he related to our former great RB?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Just wondering. I saw an article today at al.com regarding a walk on "Bryce Musso". Apparently, Hurts threw him a TD pass at Saturday's practice. Is he related to our former great RB?
I think I read somewhere they are 3rd cousins and he has not met him. Bryce is on a scholarship with the Engineering school according to the article I googled.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.