Drunk Taunts Bison at Yellowstone

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Some people are just stupid. When I was a kid, the family went up to Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains. We saw a similar incident, only with a bear. Seriously, who sees a bison or bear and thinks "Hmm, that thing probably outweighs me by a factor of ten, and is faster than me........think I'll go yell at it."

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Some people are just stupid. When I was a kid, the family went up to Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains. We saw a similar incident, only with a bear. Seriously, who sees a bison or bear and thinks "Hmm, that thing probably outweighs me by a factor of ten, and is faster than me........think I'll go yell at it."
When I was a kid on a family trip to Gatlinburg, we came across a momma bear and three adorable, little cubs. Two of them started wrestling and my dad, being a bit of a photo hound, started furiously taking pictures. He got some great ones. However, with his attention focused on the two wrestling cubs, he failed to notice that the third cub had wandered around behind him and he was sitting right between him and his momma. She reared up, growled, and feigned a charge. Luckily, it was just a threat. She allowed my dad to slowly back away from them, where she could see the cub again, and she settled back down.

We got pretty lucky that we weren't rushing my dad to the hospital, or worse.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you read the whole thing, the common thread is alcohol...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Yup, alchy-haul makes you do dumb things.

We saw a momma moose and a set of calves at Sprague Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. We kept our distance and took some great photos of their interaction. Key words: kept our distance. Mother Nature is beautiful and brutal. Respect her or suffer the consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I was a kid on a family trip to Gatlinburg, we came across a momma bear and three adorable, little cubs. Two of them started wrestling and my dad, being a bit of a photo hound, started furiously taking pictures. He got some great ones. However, with his attention focused on the two wrestling cubs, he failed to notice that the third cub had wandered around behind him and he was sitting right between him and his momma. She reared up, growled, and feigned a charge. Luckily, it was just a threat. She allowed my dad to slowly back away from them, where she could see the cub again, and she settled back down.

We got pretty lucky that we weren't rushing my dad to the hospital, or worse.
When I was just a kid, on crutches from a severely gashed left foot, a lady beside me actually picked up a cub. Of course, she dropped it in a hurry when mom noticed. The last time I was at Yellowstone in winter, a bison severely injured a woman and almost caused my stepson to be injured, when his then fiancee panicked and started their snowmobile before he was really on to avoid a charging bison...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
When I was just a kid, on crutches from a severely gashed left foot, a lady beside me actually picked up a cub. Of course, she dropped it in a hurry when mom noticed. The last time I was at Yellowstone in winter, a bison severely injured a woman and almost caused my stepson to be injured, when his then fiancee panicked and started their snowmobile before he was really on to avoid a charging bison...
Good grief, she picked up the cub!?!?!?! That momma bear must have been quite accustomed to humans. Otherwise, someone would have been seriously injured or worse.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good grief, she picked up the cub!?!?!?! That momma bear must have been quite accustomed to humans. Otherwise, someone would have been seriously injured or worse.
She dropped it and, fortunately, the bear didn't pursue. That was back when feeding wasn't even discouraged, about 1951 or so...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://www.newser.com/story/263776/im-sorry-to-the-buffalo-drunken-taunter-sentenced.html

Go Back to Grid|Next Story

Penalty for Taunting Bison: 130 Days in Jail
Raymond Reinke sentenced after his Yellowstone bison harassment was filmed

(NEWSER) – An Oregon man who said he and his buddy were on a "last hurrah" tour through national parks before he entered alcohol treatment was sentenced Thursday to 130 days in jail for his drunken behavior—including harassing a bison that had stopped traffic in Yellowstone National Park, per the AP. Raymond Reinke's crimes drew national attention when at least one Yellowstone visitor caught his interaction with a bison on video. Reinke, of Pendleton, Oregon, pleaded guilty during a federal court appearance in Mammoth, Wyoming, where cases from Yellowstone park are heard.

US Magistrate Judge Mark Carman sentenced him to 60 days in jail for harassing wildlife, 60 days for interfering with law enforcement, and 10 days for disorderly conduct. He was given credit for 21 days served. Reinke, 55, is banned from Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier national parks for a five-year probationary period during which he is not allowed to drink alcohol. His planned chemical dependency treatment is now court-ordered. "I'm sorry to the buffalo. He didn't deserve what I did to him," Reinke said, per ABC Fox Montana.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
http://www.newser.com/story/263776/im-sorry-to-the-buffalo-drunken-taunter-sentenced.html

Go Back to Grid|Next Story

Penalty for Taunting Bison: 130 Days in Jail
Raymond Reinke sentenced after his Yellowstone bison harassment was filmed

(NEWSER) – An Oregon man who said he and his buddy were on a "last hurrah" tour through national parks before he entered alcohol treatment was sentenced Thursday to 130 days in jail for his drunken behavior—including harassing a bison that had stopped traffic in Yellowstone National Park, per the AP. Raymond Reinke's crimes drew national attention when at least one Yellowstone visitor caught his interaction with a bison on video. Reinke, of Pendleton, Oregon, pleaded guilty during a federal court appearance in Mammoth, Wyoming, where cases from Yellowstone park are heard.

US Magistrate Judge Mark Carman sentenced him to 60 days in jail for harassing wildlife, 60 days for interfering with law enforcement, and 10 days for disorderly conduct. He was given credit for 21 days served. Reinke, 55, is banned from Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier national parks for a five-year probationary period during which he is not allowed to drink alcohol. His planned chemical dependency treatment is now court-ordered. "I'm sorry to the buffalo. He didn't deserve what I did to him," Reinke said, per ABC Fox Montana.

OTOH, he deserved whatever the bison did to him. I can't believe this was a drunken fling before entering rehab. That doesn't bode well for reformation...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.