Urban Meyer thread 2.0...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
After watching that I will say, those players are going to own this organization unless they went back and got permission to video them and use their comments on record. Those guys were all filmed with hidden cameras. This wont go over well for anyone involved.
My understanding it all depends on where the recordings took place and the state laws concerning recordings. Some state require both parties to be aware of the recording, some only require one participant to be aware of the recording.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
An interesting catch by someone on the web, and discussed on 11W. It seems that Urban may not have lied to the media after all. How/why? Well, it is better explained in the post, but the gist is that Meyer was answering a question about an article published by McMurphy.

The question asked at media days was:

Q. You said earlier that you were aware of the incident with Zach in 2009. Your inquiry into 2015 was unfounded. You couldn’t find anything. Why fire Zach now if you had kept him on staff after 2009?

This question was based on this statement by McMurphy:

Smith,... was arrested Oct. 26, 2015 on felony counts of domestic violence and felonious assault against Courtney Smith.

Well, as we all know, Smith was not arrested, nor was he charged. So Meyer responded with:

2015, I got a text late last night something happened in 2015. And there was nothing. Once again, there’s nothing — once again, I don’t know who creates a story like that.

So McMurphy goes in and edits his story to say:

Smith,... was investigated Oct. 26, 2015... on felony counts of domestic violence and felonious assault against Courtney Smith

Then McMurphy puts together the story that we have all read and calls Meyer a liar.

Read more here: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/foru...s-comments-at-big-10-media-day-important-read

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
We've been there man.....frustrated and embarrassed enough to vomit.

Probation in 1995 due to 'lack of institutional control' to Dubose secretary stuff and rogue recruiting with more 'Lack of Institutional control'......

..... to Franchione leaving like a thief in the night (partly because we didn't fully reveal how bad sanctions might be) to Price having dances with 'Destiny' to even almost bungling the CNS hire by hiring RichRod instead who has turned out to have a reputation for NCAA Violations himself.

We've had constant bungling going on behind the scenes because of people not behaving right.

Thankfully CNS has rid the program of such fat fingered disorganization and dishonesty. But still we had our hands full with CLK's nightime activities and Sark's demons as well.

Hang in there man.... It sucks to have any kind of stain or clouds over your school but I highly doubt it results in any punishments of consequence other than bad PR..... and again that's not going to slow you guys down.
The '95 sanctions were about different things, and quite a bit of that involved a dispute between our AD and an ex-OU man back in the early nineties. A "payback" if you will? Still....you are correct about bungling the investigation. The DuBose thing was different and there would have been enough to handle as it was, but the associations and ties by UT were able to increase the pressure on Bama by a huge margin...so they did. That is why I couldn't understand Pruitt's decision. I know it was a long time ago....but the man (and Fulmer did not orchestrate what UT did..but he was very active once he was loosed) is back, and is the same man today that he was then. Lots of UT and SEC people involved in that. The SEC media was all over us. And we did have some people who behaved poorly. That is not a debate. Some behaved poorly by not standing against the ncaa. By caving in. I remember most everything. Some of the charges that Dickey (UT AD at the time) personally delivered to Roy Kramer in Birmingham against Bama were VERY serious. Like.......Shaun Alexander speaking at Gardendale Baptist and they took up an offering for him. Same as they do for all speakers. That was not used per the ncaa but they did check it out. But Phil and Dickey and Kramer weren't done. So......yes some bungling did happen on that staff, but we didn't need the extra help.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
My understanding it all depends on where the recordings took place and the state laws concerning recordings. Some state require both parties to be aware of the recording, some only require one participant to be aware of the recording.
You are correct. Audio.

But Video is all together different if I recall correctly.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Whatever. Urban Meyer will never coach again at Ohio State. At this point UM is not trying to preserve his job. He is fighting to make sure that tOSU doesn't try to wriggle out of its financial obligations to him and he is also endeavoring to salvage enough of his reputation so that he can get a good job in the future if decides that he isn't ready to retire again. I think he will get future college opportunities elesewhere and maybe NFL opportunities. The ESPN avenue is closed, though.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Whatever. Urban Meyer will never coach again at Ohio State. At this point UM is not trying to preserve his job. He is fighting to make sure that tOSU doesn't try to wriggle out of its financial obligations to him and he is also endeavoring to salvage enough of his reputation so that he can get a good job in the future if decides that he isn't ready to retire again. I think he will get future college opportunities elesewhere and maybe NFL opportunities. The ESPN avenue is closed, though.
Jim Hairball, is that you?

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Defamation doesn't apply. Secondly, everyone involved is a public employee. If the head coach didn’t want to talk about the legal and personal problems of a former assistant, he can say so. But that’s not what Meyer did. He lied, publically, to hide his own role.
Thanks, that answers or at least addresses the gist of my question. My gut tells me that Meyer could have declined to answer the media questions on the matter and deferred them to his higher ups or the legal team. I don't think he could be forced to answer questions regarding another person's legal issues, but he did and he lied (apparently) about his previous knowledge. I guess it doesn't matter who he was attempting to protect, be it the offending coach, the university, or himself. The wise path would have been to say "I have no comment at this time, please direct that question at the university for anything further".

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
An interesting catch by someone on the web, and discussed on 11W. It seems that Urban may not have lied to the media after all. How/why? Well, it is better explained in the post, but the gist is that Meyer was answering a question about an article published by McMurphy.

Q. You said earlier that you were aware of the incident with Zach in 2009. Your inquiry into 2015 was unfounded. You couldn’t find anything. Why fire Zach now if you had kept him on staff after 2009?

Smith,... was arrested Oct. 26, 2015 on felony counts of domestic violence and felonious assault against Courtney Smith.

Well, as we all know, Smith was not arrested, nor was he charged. So Meyer responded with:

2015, I got a text late last night something happened in 2015. And there was nothing. Once again, there’s nothing — once again, I don’t know who creates a story like that.

Smith,... was investigated Oct. 26, 2015... on felony counts of domestic violence and felonious assault against Courtney Smith

Then McMurphy puts together the story that we have all read and calls Meyer a liar.

Read more here: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/foru...s-comments-at-big-10-media-day-important-read
Say it ain't so. The Media would MIS-REPORT SOMETHING? I am shocked, shocked I'll tell you!

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

That's very interesting and falls in line with Meyer's statement, in which some were lamenting a lack of admittance to lying to the media. If he was intending to directly dispute McMurphy's particular statement, then he technically wasn't lying.

Of course, that still doesn't explain Smith's continued employment at the University when his purported actions were supposedly known at least inside the athletic department. The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is that Meyer may have been encouraged to keep him employed or at least given the okay from the higher-ups, most likely due to his name.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
The social media outrage cycle has already run its initial course. It will ramp up again if they keep Meyer (which looks increasingly likely) but the fact that the investigation is taking this long is a sign they're just trying to get their ducks in a row, make sure they have all the facts before making any public proclamations.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
He isn’t going anywhere which will lead to disaster down the road. He cannot change who he is. The stuff that happened at Florida is happening at OSU and it will only snowball. He is the John Calipari of football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Latest - The Powell police chief was interviewed. He confirms that Zach Smith was never arrested or charged in 2015. In fact, Zach Smith was not arrested or charged at all until earlier this year, and those charges were for going to his wife's house to drop off their kids when the wife failed to show up at the arranged location (all in the official police record).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Latest - The Powell police chief was interviewed. He confirms that Zach Smith was never arrested or charged in 2015. In fact, Zach Smith was not arrested or charged at all until earlier this year, and those charges were for going to his wife's house to drop off their kids when the wife failed to show up at the arranged location (all in the official police record).
No one really disputed this fact. What people are assuming, likely correctly, is that the Meyer family sought to suppress the abused wife's desire to leave him and/or report the abuse to the police because they were looking out for their program's reputation more than the people in and around it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.