Urban Meyer thread 2.0...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Was waiting for this guy to have his say.

Headline: If treating women with respect is one of his program’s core values, why does Urban Meyer keep violating it?

Here

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
One thing is clear, I lost any respect I had for Urban Meyer. Good coach or not, he's a bonafied scumbag in my book. Between this and the rumors about Aaron Hernandez he definitely turned a blind eye to certain players without a doubt, and now he has proven that b.s. about "treating women right" is just lip service.

I was just reading an article on ESPN about the gathering yesterday when they mentioned Zeke Elliott's Dad:

"In attendance at Monday's rally was Stacy Elliott, father of former Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott. Stacy Elliott came to the event wearing a replica of his son's Buckeyes jersey. Elliott said he participated because he loves Meyer and because he teaches respect for women."

I find that funny since his son got in trouble for the same thing. If that is TRULY taught there, they wouldn't have that many issues. It's just lip service which Urban is very slick at after reading his releases about the subject.

And to top it off, him and Smith are just getting their stories right from now on. How else did he know to release his first excuse during the interview of Smith? He knew what Smith was doing and when. They're just getting their stories right now. It's no coincidence all of this was timed and released all at the same time.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Seriously?!? So you are saying that Meyer doesn't have the same authority over his own staff as Saban does?
You might want to work on your reading comprehension.

I never said that Meyer didn't have the authority to fire him nor that the final decision didn't, at any point, rest with him. All I said was that it's looking more and more likely he was encouraged or at least given the okay to keep him on the staff. Even so, in all likelihood, the decision was still his.

However, we're not talking about football-related duties or on-the-job issues, here. We're talking about incidents which were - at least on some level - private matters, were being handled by the police, and were being made aware to the higher-ups in the OSU administration. Do you really expect Meyer to go around interviewing family and friends personally to get to the bottom of a husband and wife's he-said-she-said arguments? No, the police and/or Ohio State should have had people for that. Did the police dismiss her complaints too quickly? Maybe. How is that anyone else's fault, much less Meyer's? Did the wife end up getting a boy-who-cried-wolf reputation and/or a reputation as being bat-crap-crazy, as has been hinted? Perhaps. And, if so, that could easily have tainted the police and/or OSU internal investigations into these incidents. Why do you believe it is the head football coach's responsibility to ensure that the local police and whoever within the OSU administration serves as their Human Resources department are doing their jobs?

Heck, at this point all we have are one person's story with some screenshots of apparently incriminating text messages. I could create screenshots like that in five minutes. Now, I'm not saying that those messages are necessarily fake, or even likely to be fake - I would hope any journalist wouldn't be fooled like that - but it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

The amount of what we, the public, KNOW - as in indisputable fact - right now is next to nothing compared to what people are assuming happened.

If all of this abuse was going on for years and years with reportedly over 100 police contacts then why wasn't the guy ever arrested for domestic violence? To date, as far as I can tell, the only thing for which this guy's been arrested is violating a protective order by dropping his kids off at his wife's house when she failed to show up at their previously agreed upon meeting place to exchange the kids. And, if her relatives on social media are to be believed, that incident was planned by her.

This whole mess is not as simple as some want to believe. And Meyer may be completely at fault for his actions. Or he may not. We just don't know.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Some good points there.

This whole ordeal has done nothing to improve my already dismal view of Meyer's character...
To be fair, I don't see how it could. :)

On the other, simply because someone may be a despicable person that doesn't automatically make them guilty for something which may or may not have been their responsibility.

Having said that, I've previously said that I think there was probably more than enough red flags with this guy for him to have been fired - or at least not have his contract renewed - for at least some of the blame for his continued employment to fall at Meyer's feet. But, not being in and around the situation for the years during which it was evolving, I'm not in a position to pass judgment, anyway.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To be fair, I don't see how it could. :)
Had he been proactive and handled this properly instead of keeping a known wife beater on staff for YEARS, it might have helped. But probably not. Really hard to reclaim good character once you've shown yourself to be a dirtbag.

the other, simply because someone may be a despicable person that doesn't automatically make them guilty for something which may or may not have been their responsibility.
Agreed, but that's not the case here. It's obvious that at best, he willingly lied when asked about this situation. Par for the course, but it certainly doesn't make me assume innocence.

Having said that, I've previously said that I think there was probably more than enough red flags with this guy for him to have been fired - or at least not have his contract renewed - for at least some of the blame for his continued employment to fall at Meyer's feet. But, not being in and around the situation for the years during which it was evolving, I'm not in a position to pass judgment, anyway.
Yah, hearing that the piece of crap wife beater was on an annual contract that had been renewed multiple times over the last few years is pretty damning, imo. I don't care what his reasoning was - he knew this stuff was happening and continue to employ the piece of crap.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Had he been proactive and handled this properly instead of keeping a known wife beater on staff for YEARS, it might have helped. But probably not. Really hard to reclaim good character once you've shown yourself to be a dirtbag.
Fair point. Though, that would have been helping himself years ago. At this point, not much chance. :)

Agreed, but that's not the case here. It's obvious that at best, he willingly lied when asked about this situation. Par for the course, but it certainly doesn't make me assume innocence.
To be fair, if he was intending to refer only to McMurphy's original, false assertion that Smith was arrested and charged with felonies in 2015 - not merely any incident between Smith and his wife in 2015 - then technically he wasn't lying. He wasn't necessarily clear and certainly wasn't forthright but technically wasn't lying, either.

Yah, hearing that the piece of crap wife beater was on an annual contract that had been renewed multiple times over the last few years is pretty damning, imo. I don't care what his reasoning was - he knew this stuff was happening and continue to employ the piece of crap.
Agreed, assuming he did actually know what was happening and wasn't swayed by the wife's apparent, crazy, boy-who-cried-wolf antics assuming she was making it all up. Still don't know if that excuses it but it's close enough to a gray area - if true - for me to say "pass."

Of course, we'll probably never know all of the details unless they come out in court between the Smiths.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

I know he is a top-tier coach but he is also a weasel of the highest order.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What I see Ohio State fans doing is really par the course for what we see in the political theater.

1) Obtusely arguing the point is that he "reported it" so his responsibility to this terrible situation ends there. This is obtuseness hopes to get you lost in the procedural instead of seeing the forest for the trees: big-time college coaches are subordinate to no one and the only reason Zach Smith was still in his employ was because Meyer's wife set about to calm his wife down (as they did in 2009) and Meyer made sure it went nowhere institutionally. Everyone with a lick of sense understands that this is what happened and it could happen anywhere winning is happening because as a people we're kinda awful when we can diffuse responsibility to some institutional monolith.

2) Attack the victim. Smith's ex-wife is an enemy of Bux football fyi. She's definitely not just tired of getting beat, stalked, and told to ignore it by the people powerful enough to stop it.

3) Blame the media. When the news ain't how you like it, it is the media's fault for exposing the truth not your favorite institution's fault for being awful.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
You may not like the guy or the school he coaches at, but if he quit AU tomorrow he'd be one of the most sought-after coaches in the last decade. Don't kid yourself, the man can coach football.
I dunno about that. I mean I think he's a solid HC but I don't quite look at him as a Top 5-10 guy that schools would be falling all over themselves to sign.

He'd land another D1 job sure but if we're being honest he's being grossly overpaid by AU right now and I can't imagine another school matching that type of salary.

He's 45-22 overall at AU (.671) and 25-15 (.625) in SEC play and has a 1-4 record in Bowl games. That doesn't jump off the page to me as 'Elite'/Most sought after..... jmho though.

Oh and just as a HC/OC/Playcaller he's an enigma. Some games he does actually look like an offensive genius and then other times he looks completely inept.

The best compliment I can give him though is IF he has a few good RB's he can operate a deadly running attack when he commits to it. That 2013 team ran like 5 different running plays wrapped in various types of eye-candy yet were almost unstoppable.

Maybe he outsmarts himself sometimes? I really can't peg him down. He's Les Miles level of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde in my book.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think the whole Big 10 schtick about how the coach is just another university employee - see Paterno, Joe - is part of the problem. It allows Meyer to convince himself that's not as powerful as he really is.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
...1) Obtusely arguing the point is that he "reported it" so his responsibility to this terrible situation ends there. This is obtuseness hopes to get you lost in the procedural instead of seeing the forest for the trees: big-time college coaches are subordinate to no one and the only reason Zach Smith was still in his employ was because his wife set about to calm his wife down (as they did in 2009) and he made sure it went nowhere institutionally. Everyone with a lick of sense understand that this is what happened and it could happen anywhere winning is happening because as a people we're kinda awful when we can diffuse responsibility to some institutional monolith...
To be fair, there's a huge difference between saying something likely happened versus saying something actually happened.

Are you really contending that you know, for a fact, that was how the Meyers behaved in their personal interactions with this couple?

Because stating that "Everyone with a lick of sense understand that this is what happened" intimates that your assertion is a fact and anyone who dares to believe that it isn't a fact is merely a denier with ulterior motives causing them to simply refuse to acknowledge the truth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That little pro-urban rally of 100 or so fans was just so lame. Doubt it represents the main stream OSU fan, but really, complaining about ESPN and Finebaum when your coach is in questionalbe territory about DV???

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Just curious. All of you guys who are so anti-Urban at the moment...

How would you feel if it were to come out in court proceedings between the Smiths that the wife was making up most, if not all, of the domestic violence allegations against her husband?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That little pro-urban rally of 100 or so fans was just so lame. Doubt it represents the main stream OSU fan, but really, complaining about ESPN and Finebaum when your coach is in questionalbe territory about DV???
It was led and organized by a fan who flew in from South Carolina. He is a huge booster, but he is also not representative of the average OSU fan. They did a survey of current OSU students and the results were unexpected - more than half were fine with Meyer being replaced just to avoid further bad PR. And, if you read the more respected OSU forums, almost everyone was deeply embarrassed by the rally before it happened (which is why there was almost no turnout). When they saw the signs, pretty much everyone was happy to say that they were not there. A disgusting display, to be sure.

I am fine with a rally (free speech and all that), but let's wait to see what the investigation turns up before we hold one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
has anyone directly asked OSU if there is documented evidence of the reports?
OSU is not talking about this to anyone until the investigation is complete. Some stuff is creeping out, but I haven't heard anything about documentation at this point.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
has anyone directly asked OSU if there is documented evidence of the reports?
I don't think they will answer such a question while the investigation is in progress. Right now I would imagine the everyone in the OSU administration is plowing through 4 or 5 years worth of emails to see who knew what and when.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.