Urban Meyer thread 2.0...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As mentioned before - discussion is fine, acting foolish is not. Be respectful to one another or you will be suspended, no warnings.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I still would like to know why he was put on AL if he had already reported it. Wouldn’t the people who put him on AL be the ones he reported it to?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I still would like to know why he was put on AL if he had already reported it. Wouldn’t the people who put him on AL be the ones he reported it to?
Agreed. And I still don't understand why he lied on media day. I'm not anti Meyer at all but something seems off here still. And it may not be him it could be someone else in the story. But something just doesn't fit.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
That was my initial thought - how bad does the internal communication have to be for this to happen? Something doesn’t fit.
I’m not sure I believe any of it. Now Smith is doing ESPN interviews saying Meyer shouldn’t be fired, as if his word means anything. You’re right though, something doesn’t add up.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I mean, I’ll just go ahead and say it: I don’t trust Urban Meyer further than I can throw him. And with my bad knee, I shouldn’t be throwing anyone...

I’m starting to think they put him on AL and realized the program would be devastated if they fired him. Not right away, but eventually. Are they having 2nd thoughts and trying to keep him by issuing this “statement”? I have no idea, but something doesn’t add up. I’m going to continue saying that until it does.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Perhaps the simplest explanation is the correct one... Perhaps they weren't ready to simply come out and say we fully support Meyer and have been aware of the situation but felt the need to do and/or say something publicly. So, they put Meyer on Administrative Leave while they consider their response - also giving them extra time for CYA - and announce their investigation in order to show the public that they are doing something.

This is why it's almost always best to wait for multiple sides of a story to come out before forming your opinion, much less rushing to judgment, in order to avoid simply jumping to the first or most desired conclusion.

It's also why many seem to be obviously disappointed that Meyer hasn't already been fired - the conclusion to which they jumped hasn't been realized.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Perhaps the simplest explanation is the correct one... Perhaps they weren't ready to simply come out and say we fully support Meyer and have been aware of the situation but felt the need to do and/or say something publicly. So, they put Meyer on Administrative Leave while they consider their response - also giving them extra time for CYA - and announce their investigation in order to show the public that they are doing something.

This is why it's almost always best to wait for multiple sides of a story to come out before forming your opinion, much less rushing to judgment, in order to avoid simply jumping to the first or most desired conclusion.

It's also why many seem to be obviously disappointed that Meyer hasn't already been fired - the conclusion to which they jumped hasn't been realized.
I just don’t buy that. If he did nothing wrong, there is no need to place him on AL. They would have just come out and said “Urban reported this already, he did nothing wrong. Move along”. That’s not what happened though.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
This article seems to cut to the heart of the matter.

Maybe lying to the media is a smart play-call in 2018, but the nature of Meyer’s lies should disturb anybody paying attention. Let’s remember what he actually said.He claimed he learned about the 2015 incident after McMurphy reported it. And so he looked into it. And: “There was nothing… I don’t know who creates a story like that.” This, even though text messages show that Meyer’s own wife suggested Courtney Smith get a restraining order against her ex-husband.

So Urban Meyer, head coach at Ohio State, sat at a table, well aware that one of his coaches had been accused of domestic violence three times, and said, of one of those incidents, “I don’t know who creates a story like that.”

He also spoke about the 2009 incident, when Smith was accused of assaulting his pregnant wife. And what he said was: “what was reported wasn’t actually what happened.” And anyway, Zach and Courtney Smith were a “very young couple” at the time.

See, Meyer did not just lie about his knowledge of the 2015 incident. He minimized and distorted multiple serious accusations of domestic violence. It’s nice that he copped to the lie, but that’s not the end of the story. Not even close.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I just don’t buy that. If he did nothing wrong, there is no need to place him on AL. They would have just come out and said “Urban reported this already, he did nothing wrong. Move along”. That’s not what happened though.
I never said he did nothing wrong. If nothing else, he lied to the media and brought this negative attention to the University. You're also assuming that the administrative leave decision wasn't an over-reaction due to the public outcry, which is certainly a possibility, even if unlikely.

Anyone can choose to believe whatever they want to believe. Personally, whenever I find myself wanting to believe something, I question why and try to convince myself against it in order to check my judgment.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I never said he did nothing wrong. If nothing else, he lied to the media and brought this negative attention to the University. You're also assuming that the administrative leave decision wasn't an over-reaction due to the public outcry, which is certainly a possibility, even if unlikely.

Anyone can choose to believe whatever they want to believe. Personally, whenever I find myself wanting to believe something, I question why and try to convince myself against it in order to check my judgment.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply you said that. My whole thing is if he reported it, they would have known. Why put him on AL and then wait an entire day to issue a statement? All they had to do was explain what happened and then move on. But they didn’t, and that’s why I don’t believe any of this.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I have felt, and continue to feel Meyer will keep his job. The more days that pass by without an announcement the better it is for him I think. Initially it seemed 99% of the college football media pundits thought he would be fired. It's usually good to bet the other way in a situation like that. The so called "experts" frequently end up being wrong. Not much different than asking a bunch of financial gurus which direction the stock market will go. It usually goes in the opposite direction.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Are the OSU admins so incompetent as to punish Meyer by placing him on AL for something that he has already reported?

Or did they intend to fire him and then something (someone) changed their mind?

Seriously these are the only two scenarios that I can see right now. None of it makes sense.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
3 Man Front posited that the investigative group may be looking into the evidence, and if nothing is absolutely clear in terms of who is at fault, it'll be their "out" to declare Meyer is innocent and/or fulfilled his legal responsibility in the matter. It would also buy the school time in case they decide to settle with Meyer and the other coaches.

To me, if Meyer didn't fulfill his legal responsibilities in regards to Title IX, then he, and any other coach that knew, should be canned. If he did, or Courtney Smith's evidence doesn't hold up, then he should stay as the coach as OSU. Meyer's official statement would lead one to believe that Gene Smith dropped the ball in this case, but there should be documentation verifying his version or not verifying his version. It's an absolute mess all around, particularly for OSU in light of their other investigations in this arena.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply you said that. My whole thing is if he reported it, they would have known. Why put him on AL and then wait an entire day to issue a statement? All they had to do was explain what happened and then move on. But they didn’t, and that’s why I don’t believe any of this.
I suppose the counter-argument to this line of thinking would be that while this used to be true it doesn't really work given the current, socio-political environment. If they had responded as such, that quickly, the response would be that the University was just sweeping it under the rug. Once it hit, the University was really in a no-win situation.

Personally, it is hard for me to imagine why they kept him employed for as long as they did. Of course, I don't have enough information to determine whether or not even that was a mistake on their part.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
There was a blazing fire on campus. OSU had to do something immediately to show they understood the severity of this situation. So they put Meyer on AL. This allows them some brief moments to breathe and get their ducks in a row. The last 24 hours have been them feeling out the public outcry and media heat to a response from Meyer that he lied. They will measure the continued backlash and weigh that along with anything else they uncover and make a decision.

Honestly, this all smells as if someone is still lying. Or at the least someone did not report to others who should have been involved and they may have even told Meyer to deny knowing anything. We will see how this plays out but IMO, Meyer or the AD are going to take a big hit for this. We will see if it is suspension or a pink slip. The AD might end up being the scapegoat. They can fire him a whole lot cheaper. Even then the college sports world and media are going to grind away at all the mistakes OSU made in this ordeal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.