Link: Nick Saban is more than a scowl...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think this is my all-time, favorite, non-Alabama-football, Nick Saban story:

From the article... said:
AT SOME POINT during Saban's tenure as Michigan State's defensive coordinator -- a job he holds from 1983 to '87 after assistant-coaching stints at Kent State (his alma mater), Syracuse, West Virginia, Ohio State and Navy -- he is on a recruiting trip in Youngstown, Ohio, where Bob Stoops (the uncle of the former Oklahoma coach) is the head coach at South High.The two want to have a cocktail at the end of the day, to unwind and talk about football. They pick a dimly lit dive bar and start scribbling down formations, drawing up plays on napkins, arguing the way friends sometimes do. They are so invested in making their points that they don't notice when a man walks into the bar with a shotgun and robs the place. "They had no idea, never saw him, never paid attention and never stopped doing what they were doing," says Kentucky coach Mark Stoops, who relays the story he's heard passed down through the years. "A few minutes later, some police came in and started asking them: What happened? What did they see?"They said, 'We don't even know what you're talking about.'"

Mash here.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
The entire article is excellent, showing a depth to Coach Saban rarely seen. My favorite story is from when Saban was with the Dolphins and his assistant Jason Garrett was afraid to ask him to leave training camp to go to the Hall of Fame induction of his former Teammate Troy Aikman.

IT'S 2006, SABAN'S second year as head coach of the Dolphins, and quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett is nervous. He wants a day away from training camp so he can attend the Hall of Fame induction of his good friend Troy Aikman. He waits for a day when the defense plays great in practice, figuring Saban will be in a good mood. But Garrett launches into a mealy-mouthed plea, and after three minutes, Saban cuts in: "What the hell are you asking me?"
Aikman's going into the Hall of Fame, Garrett says. We played eight years together. Is it OK if I go?
"Saban looks at me and says, 'You just don't get it, do you? You don't think we can survive without you for the day? Trust me, we're going to be OK. Do you like the guy? He's a good buddy? Go to the Hall of Fame.'"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree - that entire article is very good and shows a very different and likeable Nick Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.