If Jalen chose to change positions, what would he play?

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
It's hard for me to imagine Jalen playing at another position. I think he's been too successful at QB and there's too much competition at the RB position. I think he'd be a fair RB, but he has shown himself to be a really good QB, particularly when his passing game is going well. What I think is more likely is that we'll see something akin to what we saw with Blake Sims in that he'll share some time with Tua and be leveraged for the wildcat. We'll see though. Jalen is a competitor and anything can happen. I don't think he's just going to be a trick play QB.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's hard for me to imagine Jalen playing at another position. I think he's been too successful at QB and there's too much competition at the RB position. I think he'd be a fair RB, but he has shown himself to be a really good QB, particularly when his passing game is going well. What I think is more likely is that we'll see something akin to what we saw with Blake Sims in that he'll share some time with Tua and be leveraged for the wildcat. We'll see though. Jalen is a competitor and anything can happen. I don't think he's just going to be a trick play QB.
Before you compare Jalen and Blake as passers, you might want to go back and look at both guys' numbers...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Before you compare Jalen and Blake as passers, you might want to go back and look at both guys' numbers...
Interesting video edited by an Alabama fan of Blake Sims third down performance at MSU when the game was on the line. The importance of third down conversions.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't think there is any comparison to make at all. One was a passer, the other is not.

*Jalen has just under 5000 yards passing over two years, I keep hearing that from supporters. But Blake had nearly 3500 in his one year as a starter.

*Jalen has 40 passing TD's in his two years. Blake had 28 in just one.

*Passing percentages - Jalen 61.9, Blake - 64%.

*INT's - 10 to 10. This is the one where Jalen's number looks better as it is a two year to one year comparison.

Nothing about these numbers at all says that Blake and Jalen are similar QB's. My personal opinion is that Jalen can't measure up to even Coker, much less Blake Sims, as a passer. He is a great kid and a superb athlete, but a QB the likes of which we need in order to best complement our talent on offense, he is not.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't think there is any comparison to make at all. One was a passer, the other is not.

*Jalen has just under 5000 yards passing over two years, I keep hearing that from supporters. But Blake had nearly 3500 in his one year as a starter.

*Jalen has 40 passing TD's in his two years. Blake had 28 in just one.

*Passing percentages - Jalen 61.9, Blake - 64%.

*INT's - 10 to 10. This is the one where Jalen's number looks better as it is a two year to one year comparison.

Nothing about these numbers at all says that Blake and Jalen are similar QB's. My personal opinion is that Jalen can't measure up to even Coker, much less Blake Sims, as a passer. He is a great kid and a superb athlete, but a QB the likes of which we need in order to best complement our talent on offense, he is not.
Oh yeah. Alabama's 3rd down conversion % - With Jalen 44.62% and 41.14%. Under Blake 50.27%. It is worth noting that we were the best at 4th down conversions last year at 82.35% and also converted more than half in Jalen's first year as well.

I was surprised to see, though, that we had an awful percentage with Coker at 35.29%. Ranked 99. How did we win that year? We converted under 50% of our 4th downs as well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Blake was far and away a better passer than jalen, had a stronger arm than jalen, and was more willing to let plays develop instead of running than Jalen

I think that LSU drive is far more impressive than the 2012 one. Thing of legends

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
As in the QB thread, let's not slip over into player bashing...
Nothing I posted there should be considered bashing at all. A simple display of statistics in support of your own statement that both guys' number should be looked at. I had a feeling what they would tell me but wasn't sure until I looked them up.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Position Change for Jalen.

You tell me a position on the team where we aren't loaded with talented kids who have been playing that position for years already and you will have the answer (Hint: it is none). This type of choice should have been made many years ago, most likely by his father, in order to put him in position to make the most of the extraordinary talent he has. Instead, they went after the QB spot only, and it has, sadly, not worked out for him.

I could see him maybe playing a little H-back or tight end. Would be hilarious to see him get open on a bunch of passing routes only to have Tua tuck the ball and run instead.
place kicker?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Oh yeah. Alabama's 3rd down conversion % - With Jalen 44.62% and 41.14%. Under Blake 50.27%. It is worth noting that we were the best at 4th down conversions last year at 82.35% and also converted more than half in Jalen's first year as well. I was surprised to see, though, that we had an awful percentage with Coker at 35.29%. Ranked 99. How did we win that year? We converted under 50% of our 4th downs as well.
Even though we won it all and produced a lot of points with Coker, that year was the year I started to get concerned with the Kiffin offense. It seemed like Kiffin was willing to use a series and go 3 and out to 'set up' a big play later. In the terms of another sport, he wasn't going to try to bat his way around with bases with a few base hits, he was mostly going to try for home runs. Strike out, or home run. Very little in between. I think some of that continued with jalen's first year, and then in 2017 we had a hard time running the full playbook to get the ball where it needed to go.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Jalen seems to be a good all-around athlete, I wonder if he can hit a fastball and a curve... I can see him playing 1B or RF. On another level, I imagine with his legs he's got some real hops and could play some basketball, maybe a small forward.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nothing I posted there should be considered bashing at all. A simple display of statistics in support of your own statement that both guys' number should be looked at. I had a feeling what they would tell me but wasn't sure until I looked them up.
I'm talking about comments about helping him pack or comparing him to an antique car. Those are bashing and uncalled for. In the future, if you have a similar question, PM me or another mod. They are not football and we don't discuss them on the open forum...

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Jalen seems to be a good all-around athlete, I wonder if he can hit a fastball and a curve... I can see him playing 1B or RF. On another level, I imagine with his legs he's got some real hops and could play some basketball, maybe a small forward.
not sure you're going to find a small foward at that height other than high school maybe

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I always thought Jalen had the ability to be a "Brad Smith/Randle El" type player, someone you could move all over the offense and would make an impact. I do realize, it is hard enough to learn one position at the college level, so three would be very hard but if there was anybody at Alabama that could do it, Jalen Hurts would be my pick.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
Okay, maybe I misstated what I meant. I think it was perhaps poorly worded.

I don't in any way mean to compare Jalen and Blake as passers. They're two different animals and, frankly, I think it's also a bad idea to directly compare a sophmore's performance with that of a senior. Blake was on fire with passing in a number of games. I'd be very pleased to see Jalen be as productive as a passer.

What I really meant to emphasize is that I'd expect split time between Tua as mostly a pure passing option and Jalen in the wildcat similar to how Blake was managed early on before he gained confidence as a passer (and particularly when he was playing as AJ's backup). Maybe I should just have left it at the point about him playing as a wildcat QB instead of giving an example and left it at that.

Anyway, please don't take it as a direct comparison of stats or as anything more than that. If I ruffled feathers with what seemed like an unfair comparison, that wasn't what I meant at all.

BTW, if you ARE interested in comparative stats, they break down like this...

Blake Sims
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2011AlabamaSECFRQB5
*2012AlabamaSECSOQB1051050777.77.700114.7
*2013AlabamaSECQB8182962.11675.87.120133.2
*2014AlabamaSECSRQB1425239164.534878.99.22810157.9
RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2011AlabamaSECFRQB5221074.9021890241255.20
*2012AlabamaSECSOQB10301876.22301876.22
*2013AlabamaSECQB815614.1000015614.10
*2014AlabamaSECSRQB14833504.27000833504.27
Jalen Hurts
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2016AlabamaSECFRQB1524038262.827807.37.4239139.1
*2017AlabamaSECSOQB1415425560.420818.29.3171150.2
RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2016AlabamaSECFRQB15191954513000191954513
*2017AlabamaSECSOQB141548555.681-1-101558545.58

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.