If Jalen chose to change positions, what would he play?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Okay, maybe I misstated what I meant. I think it was perhaps poorly worded.

I don't in any way mean to compare Jalen and Blake as passers. They're two different animals and, frankly, I think it's also a bad idea to directly compare a sophmore's performance with that of a senior. Blake was on fire with passing in a number of games. I'd be very pleased to see Jalen be as productive as a passer.

What I really meant to emphasize is that I'd expect split time between Tua as mostly a pure passing option and Jalen in the wildcat similar to how Blake was managed early on before he gained confidence as a passer (and particularly when he was playing as AJ's backup). Maybe I should just have left it at the point about him playing as a wildcat QB instead of giving an example and left it at that.

Anyway, please don't take it as a direct comparison of stats or as anything more than that. If I ruffled feathers with what seemed like an unfair comparison, that wasn't what I meant at all.

BTW, if you ARE interested in comparative stats, they break down like this...

Blake Sims
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2011AlabamaSECFRQB5
*2012AlabamaSECSOQB1051050777.77.700114.7
*2013AlabamaSECQB8182962.11675.87.120133.2
*2014AlabamaSECSRQB1425239164.534878.99.22810157.9
RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2011AlabamaSECFRQB5221074.9021890241255.20
*2012AlabamaSECSOQB10301876.22301876.22
*2013AlabamaSECQB815614.1000015614.10
*2014AlabamaSECSRQB14833504.27000833504.27
Jalen Hurts
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2016AlabamaSECFRQB1524038262.827807.37.4239139.1
*2017AlabamaSECSOQB1415425560.420818.29.3171150.2
RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2016AlabamaSECFRQB15191954513000191954513
*2017AlabamaSECSOQB141548555.681-1-101558545.58
Um, you do realize that Jalen's completion % was affected by quite a number of one yard passes which went for significant gain?

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
Um, you do realize that Jalen's completion % was affected by quite a number of one yard passes which went for significant gain?
Yes. I get that. As I said, and respectfully I'll try to clarify further, I'm not trying to suggest that Blake and Jalen's stats are truly comparable. All I was suggesting is that I believe Jalen will be used in the wildcat. I probably should have left it at that. My point with bringing Blake's name into that at all is because that's how he was often leveraged when he played AJ's backup. Anything else is something you're reading into my post that wasn't meant to be there.

Maybe I made a mistake in even mentioning Blake at all. I offered the stat comparisons (without any decoration) only because I thought some people might be interested since that seemed to have spun off into another discussion. Maybe that was a mistake too because I get the feeling that my point is being missed in favor of a whole different narrative.

If anything I posted was confusing, I apologize. I'm still on post-operative medications, so I'll blame those. :)

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
One thing I think I've learned posting here is if you are in a grumpy mood, feeling inclined to criticize a thread topic rather than just not participate, or hand out negatives like party favors, my suggestion would be go take a nice walk and post when you aren't feeling so negative.

This is not a rival board, we are all pulling for the same team, and sometimes I think people can loose sight of that.

I don't remember Bama having two better credentialed quarterbacks competing and I just can't wait to see how things play out. I suspect that over the season there will be times when both guys will thrill the home crowd.

I suspect Saban has some ideas that we mere mortals haven't thought about that will keep both guys excited to be at Bama.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Re: Position Change for Jalen.

He's like a 55 Chevy Belair hardtop. Looks fantastic, runs great, but no computer to evaluate what's going on.:)
I think this is a GREAT analogy.

ETA: I don't mean that as a slight against him, either. I'm just not sure he understands exactly what he's to do in all situations?

Last edited:

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
One thing I think I've learned posting here is if you are in a grumpy mood, feeling inclined to criticize a thread topic rather than just not participate, or hand out negatives like party favors, my suggestion would be go take a nice walk and post when you aren't feeling so negative.

This is not a rival board, we are all pulling for the same team, and sometimes I think people can loose sight of that.

I don't remember Bama having two better credentialed quarterbacks competing and I just can't wait to see how things play out. I suspect that over the season there will be times when both guys will thrill the home crowd.

I suspect Saban has some ideas that we mere mortals haven't thought about that will keep both guys excited to be at Bama.

I have wondered this as well. Kickoff just needs to get here so we can have fun watching the games.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yes. I get that. As I said, and respectfully I'll try to clarify further, I'm not trying to suggest that Blake and Jalen's stats are truly comparable. All I was suggesting is that I believe Jalen will be used in the wildcat. I probably should have left it at that. My point with bringing Blake's name into that at all is because that's how he was often leveraged when he played AJ's backup. Anything else is something you're reading into my post that wasn't meant to be there.

Maybe I made a mistake in even mentioning Blake at all. I offered the stat comparisons (without any decoration) only because I thought some people might be interested since that seemed to have spun off into another discussion. Maybe that was a mistake too because I get the feeling that my point is being missed in favor of a whole different narrative.

If anything I posted was confusing, I apologize. I'm still on post-operative medications, so I'll blame those. :)
Here's to a full and speedy recovery. :pDT_alc: on TideFans.com

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Jalen at Ga Tech would be fun as heck to watch
Yes, if he is intent on remaining a quarterback. Basically, as I see it, his college career will be all there is if he remains at quarterback. If he truly has aspirations of an NFL career then he should change positions now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
GT would be a horrible choice for Jalen and make no sense. If he transfers because he feels he can be an NFL QB he will have to go somewhere that has a wide open passing offense. FAU, TTech, WV, Ohio, Baylor, etc. That is the only way he leaves Bama. Not to be put in a run happy offense anywhere. He needs to be in a system that allowes him to put up 3500+ passing yards and 30+ TDs for the next two years. Outside of that type school he better stay in place or find a new position for the next two years.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I always think I FEEL normal. My wife tells me otherwise. I'm genetically resistant to anesthesia. My last anesthetist griped that it took three times the normal amount of propofol to keep me under. After the bypass operation, I was aware I wasn't quite normal...

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Jalen at Ga Tech would be fun as heck to watch
Jalen is tough enough to take the hits...but his build is a bit large to fit that system. I guess what I mean is that his feet and hips are not what Tech is used to. I hope Jalen stays in T-town myself. But if he leaves...I think we are in excellent shape. Jones is seemingly ready to get some reps out there. But I hope he wants to stay. But as for Tech....just my opinion..but I don't think I have seen Tech-like split the Defense option ability from Jalen. They may change their blocking schemes a little and gain something thru his abilities no doubt.

And if Jalen reads these boards which I highly doubt......Hang in there tough and keep competing my man! I want to see you do what folks say you haven't done as of yet. Go Bama!! Kick the crap out of those Cardinals!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.