Kiffin's Rediscovery

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Okay but ask yourself, “ Would Mac’s dinosaur offense ever beat a Malzahn offensive team when we had a young defense” I think Mac’s game against South Carolina kinda brings home that he couldn’t. Mac and Nuss were great when we had a defense, but could royally screw up with the most talented offenses Alabama has ever seen. Nuss more than Mac.

Kiffin’s problem ( on the field) was that he would sometimes out think himself, but I firmly believe he was the best we had at OC when his head was in the game
Well, McElwain had Greg McElroy and the unpolished AJ McCarron taking snaps, too.

Kiffin won a title with a talented QB who left a title team because he just wasn't good enough to unseat the Heisman winner.

What would McElwain have done with Coker compared to Kffin with McElroy?

Tbf - I agree with your basic point, but Kiffin gets a lot of ink out of the eye-popping PPG, and it wasn't really any better than before, it was just a bunch of NOTs changing things.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, McElwain had Greg McElroy and the unpolished AJ McCarron taking snaps, too.

Kiffin won a title with a talented QB who left a title team because he just wasn't good enough to unseat the Heisman winner.

What would McElwain have done with Coker compared to Kffin with McElroy?

Tbf - I agree with your basic point, but Kiffin gets a lot of ink out of the eye-popping PPG, and it wasn't really any better than before, it was just a bunch of NOTs changing things.
I think Kiffin is like Homer Smith without handcuffs on by his head coach. I think Mac is like Mal a good offensive mind with great character.

I think Kiffin is a better offensive mind than Mac for this era in football, but I do think he gets slightly more credit than he deserves.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Praise the Good Lord. I already learned an amazing fact about my relationship with Him: Everyday is a New Day with God, and this is just more evidence.
To quote myself (for a little clarification) I also have learned not to take every word at face value. As my Dad used to say in situations like this, "time will tell and in the meantime I will give he/she the benefit of the doubt."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I wonder if Kiffin's "conversion" is actually one at all. It's could be just a different drug....and yes, I've seen this movie.

For some, it's alcohol. Others, marijuana, cocaine (in various forms), or heroin, or meth, or sex for still others. Then, there's God.

For someone looking for something outside of (or just other than) themselves, any of them will do. They all offer shelter -- some for longer than others -- and they all offer an "I'm different from [read: better than] all you other folks" mindset.

Look, I hope Kiffin gets his mind right and harnesses his talent in a positive direction. But until he focuses on his team (as opposed to himself), and eliminates his self-centered smart-aleck jabs at people who have helped him in the past, and sustains all that over a meaningful period of time, it's hard not to suspect that it's just another outcropping of hedonism.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As do most of you, apparently. Sad times, indeed.
Not, it's definitely not. Kiffin has a lot of respect to earn back and it can't be instantly earned by verbal professions. For one thing, his God timeline doesn't match the way he behaved at Bama, right up to the very end. It doesn't even square up with his conduct since leaving. If, after a year or two, he's walking the walk, then I'll pay attention...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not, it's definitely not. Kiffin has a lot of respect to earn back and it can't be instantly earned by verbal professions. For one thing, his God timeline doesn't match the way he behaved at Bama, right up to the very end. It doesn't even square up with his conduct since leaving. If, after a year or two, he's walking the walk, then I'll pay attention...
I can't say how I know. But I know. Kiffin's last 36 hours on the UA coaching staff were focused on anything and everything but the opponent -- UDub.

Except third hand, I don't know about his time at FAU. But putting Lane Kiffin in Boca Raton is (or, giving the benefit of every micrometer of doubt, "was") kind of like turning a compulsive gambler out on The Strip in Las Vegas with a 7-figure income.

I hope he resists. It would be entirely inconsistent with many years of actual conduct.

Last edited:

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I wonder whatever happened to all that "judge not lest ye be judged" talk so many religious folks like to espouse.
You are absolutely correct, we should never judge the inner workings of another. I hope Lane does have a comeback, I know I am in the minority, but I liked Lane and hoped he would stay. I strongly feel we would have won that rematch with Clemson had he been on the sideline. If he keeps his personal life straight and runs a clean program he will one day return to a big time job. Maybe he's just waiting for CNS to retire.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I take a man at his word, but that doesn't mean I'm not more cautious around people who are known thieves.

In this case, I only know of Kiffin, I don't know Kiffin, so when he says he's changed, I wipe the mental slate clean.

I can only hope that God judges me less harshly than some people are judging Kiffin.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I take a man at his word, but that doesn't mean I'm not more cautious around people who are known thieves.

In this case, I only know of Kiffin, I don't know Kiffin, so when he says he's changed, I wipe the mental slate clean.

I can only hope that God judges me less harshly than some people are judging Kiffin.
I'm not aware that I'm judging him at all, just postponing it...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Thought I'd just throw this out there for everyone's enjoyment...

Kiffin's Rediscovery
CLK has all the tools to be a great coach. Taking care to improve his personal life would be necessary to make a major step up the coaching ladder. Lane's rep. had suffered, because he refused to grow up. I hope for his sake he has seen the error of his ways.

I hope for Lane's sake he is on the up and up these days, and is trying to put Joey Freshwater behind him. Turning to religion for additional guidance, and remembering the things he was taught by Coach Saban about leadership, and hard work, would both be good for him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It wasn't directed at anyone specifically, just the general tenor by some.
I'm willing to give him another chance. I'd like to see him start demonstrating his change by stopping the sarcastic, sometimes scurrilous and untrue tweets about Saban. That would be a good start...

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
It wasn't directed at anyone specifically, just the general tenor by some.
This is how I see it too. Folks are acting like they know what was in his heart when. And yeah, I know some of what he has done, though I pay little attention to that because I don't think it is my business what anyone else does in their bedroom (as long as it is between consenting adults). But that doesn't mean he wasn't working on it, getting better with some missteps along the way. To be clear, I am agnostic, so maybe my view is much different than many of you. But the hypocrisy in this thread is the very type of thing I saw way too often growing up in and as a young adult in church and what led me to believe (or not believe) what I now do. Many say that whole "work in progress by God" thing, but dismiss the possibility that he was as well. Maybe he was. Assuming there is a God for the purposes of this conversation, only Kiffin and God can know what their status was at the time and is now.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
A lot of what Kiffin has done is immaturity. I do think that early success stunts the development of intellectual and emotional maturity. Adversity often evens out a lot of rough edges. I do think he's shown glimmers of learning from his mistakes and the first step in developing as a person is recognizing and acknowledging that you've MADE mistakes, so I think that is at least a positive sign. And who am I to judge another's development as a person? I don't think I'm always the best person I can be either. Kudos if he's at least trying to become a better person.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
While I am a life long Alabama fan, I am a Georgia Tech graduate and passively follow GT football. I say "passively" because it has become so difficult to watch and care at all about when you know that they are going to go 7-5 and finish somewhere in the middle of the division with no hope of competing for an ACC title. I realize that they are only 4 years removed from playing in the ACC title game, but it is pretty clear that the ACC has gotten better in that time and GT has regressed. This is primarily due to the fact that they can't recruit any real power 5 talent. Georgia Tech hasn't signed a top 20 player in the state of Georgia in years and the prospects don't look any better with Kirby recruiting the way he is.

The point I'm trying to make is that a school like GT would be a perfect spot for Kiffin to move onto next. A power 5 program in need of some sort of jolt. I realize he wouldn't be there for more than a couple of years, but a school like Tech would get instant attention, which they desperately need.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While I am a life long Alabama fan, I am a Georgia Tech graduate and passively follow GT football. I say "passively" because it has become so difficult to watch and care at all about when you know that they are going to go 7-5 and finish somewhere in the middle of the division with no hope of competing for an ACC title. I realize that they are only 4 years removed from playing in the ACC title game, but it is pretty clear that the ACC has gotten better in that time and GT has regressed. This is primarily due to the fact that they can't recruit any real power 5 talent. Georgia Tech hasn't signed a top 20 player in the state of Georgia in years and the prospects don't look any better with Kirby recruiting the way he is.

The point I'm trying to make is that a school like GT would be a perfect spot for Kiffin to move onto next. A power 5 program in need of some sort of jolt. I realize he wouldn't be there for more than a couple of years, but a school like Tech would get instant attention, which they desperately need.
Are you familiar with the name D A Baxter?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Every time there are rumblings of Tech firing Johnson, he wins 9-10 games. It is almost like it is planned.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
I think Kiffin has changed some, but come on, he hasn't changed that much. He's always been talented, but he's had issues at each stop. I don't harbor ill will against him because he put together a masterful offensive gameplan that helped Alabama win one championship. Then he went full Kiffin on Alabama and helped make sure they didn't win another. That's who he is, ultimately an immature self-destructive person.
Extend some grace.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.