How do you rank Alabama's great teams? In your opinion, which was the best?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
2012 and 1979. The 79 should not be forgotten as we stack up rings in this run. They were dominant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Both 61 and 66 were Filthy McNasty. Best in my lifetime. I think 66 had 6 shutouts.
IMO, there is little comparison between those teams and the current batch (2009-). In 1961 Bama played what would have been 2 ranked teams, 1 in the regular season and then Ark in the bowl. The top ranked team was number 9. Techinically, the regular season opponent was not ranked, but I included GT because they received votes in a year in which there was only a top 10 during the regular season, then top 20 at the end. The 1966 team also played no officially ranked teams in the regular season since there was only a top 10 reg season and final poll. But I include OM and UT because they too received votes. The top ranked team was number 6 in the bowl. So, we see the schedule was relatively weak. It was common in those days.

The 2009 team played 6 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10; '11 played 6, including 2 in the top 5; '12 played 6 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10 and 3 in the top 5; '15 9 ranked teams, including 5 in the top 10, 3 top 5; 16 10 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10; '17 6 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10 and 3 top 5. Each of those years except for '16 (Bama was number 1 all year, til the final poll), Bama played and beat the number one team.

It's remarkable what Bama has done averaging 7.2 ranked teams vs the 60s teams who totaled 5 in the two years mentioned. I.e., almost triple the number of ranked teams per year. The Saban teams have played 23 top 10 teams (20-3), 15 top 5 teams (13-2) and 6 number 1 teams (5-1) in those 6 years vs 2 top 10 (2-0) and 0 top 5 teams in '61 and '66.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
In my lifetime, I'd say the 1979 team. Great defense and excellent wishbone offense with Steadman Shealy at the helm.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Good stuff TideE. There's no way to compare teams of different eras. Players today are so much bigger and faster than players years ago. My son's high school's offensive line is bigger than the Steelers offensive line of the '70s and he went to a small high school. I guess one could say which team was more dominant in their respective era but then that's a whole different question. Maybe I should have posted it that way.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you could just combine the 2012 offense with the 2011 defense, you'd have the greatest single team in CFB history.

Take Nuss out of the equation and you are probably right. The only team that comes to mind is the 01 Miami team. One reason I'm not too high on the 12 team is because it seemed we were handcuffed by Nuss. The LSU, aTm, and UGA games are prime examples.

2015 was one helluva team, but it was weighted heavily in favor of one particular guy who won the Heisman.

We still lost a game with a game manager starting that game with him in the backfield. I think Jake Coker was a bigger reason we did so well that year than people remember or are willing to admit. Those last 4 games (Aub, UF, MSU, and Clemson) he was a bigger factor than Henry imo. I think in general the 15 team is a very underrated team amongst Alabama fans. Maybe its because we didn't play big named teams in the playoffs.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Good stuff BinB. Is there a website that shows Saban's record against top 10 teams? With Bama playing so many more ranked teams than in the '60s, would it be fair to say the SEC has gotten better? I agree with what you did on those receiving votes, that makes perfect sense since there were only 10 teams in the polls back then.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
The best Bama team in my lifetime, in my opinion,... is a combination of 2012 Offense and 2016 Defense! Could you imagine how bad the 2016 Defense would’ve dominated the opposition especially considering how good the 2012 Offense was at time consuming long drives!! That would be a beast of a team!

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Obviously alot of good teams to pick. But 92 stands out to me especially the defense. And we have certainly had some great defenses. I remember watching Bama play Miss State that season and one of the announcers said some NFL team should come get all 11 guys and say yall are going to play for us next season.

beardensdaman44

All-SEC
Mar 7, 2006
Obviously alot of good teams to pick. But 92 stands out to me especially the defense. And we have certainly had some great defenses. I remember watching Bama play Miss State that season and one of the announcers said some NFL team should come get all 11 guys and say yall are going to play for us next season.
After rewatching some game highlights on YouTube, I'm convinced any of our modern defenses would shut down the 92 offense. They were fairly one dimensional. Can you imagine a Sophomore Barker throwing against Kirkpatrick, Milliner, Barron and Lester? How about HaHa and Sunseri.. or we could go against Minkah, Averett, Brown, Harrison and Wallace? That's not to mention the pass rush.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Take Nuss out of the equation and you are probably right. The only team that comes to mind is the 01 Miami team. One reason I'm not too high on the 12 team is because it seemed we were handcuffed by Nuss. The LSU, aTm, and UGA games are prime examples.

We still lost a game with a game manager starting that game with him in the backfield. I think Jake Coker was a bigger reason we did so well that year than people remember or are willing to admit. Those last 4 games (Aub, UF, MSU, and Clemson) he was a bigger factor than Henry imo. I think in general the 15 team is a very underrated team amongst Alabama fans. Maybe its because we didn't play big named teams in the playoffs.
Agree with the bold text wholeheartedly. He made big play after big play and at key times.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Good stuff BinB. Is there a website that shows Saban's record against top 10 teams? With Bama playing so many more ranked teams than in the '60s, would it be fair to say the SEC has gotten better? I agree with what you did on those receiving votes, that makes perfect sense since there were only 10 teams in the polls back then.
Saban's Bama record since '09:
Overall: 113-12 (90%)
SEC: 68-9 (88%)
Ranked: 51-12 (81%)
Top 10: 25-7 (78%)
Top 5: 14-5 (74%)
Num 1: 6-1 (86%)

Saban's Bama record since '07:
Overall: 132-20 (87%)
SEC: 80-14 (85%)
Ranked: 56-17 (77%)
Top 10: 27-10 (73%)
Top 5: 15-7 (68%)
Num 1: 7-3 (70%)

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
After rewatching some game highlights on YouTube, I'm convinced any of our modern defenses would shut down the 92 offense. They were fairly one dimensional. Can you imagine a Sophomore Barker throwing against Kirkpatrick, Milliner, Barron and Lester? How about HaHa and Sunseri.. or we could go against Minkah, Averett, Brown, Harrison and Wallace?
That's not saying much. The 1992 offense struggled all year. Jay went 4 of 13 for 18 yards with 2 interceptions against Miami. Luckily Bama rushed for over 250, which I would think any Alabama defense of the last 30 years would have been capable of stopping.

That's not to mention the pass rush.
I can only imagine what a 1992 practice was like. We did not get a pass rush like we had in 1992 until 2015.

Last edited:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I think Jake Coker was a bigger reason we did so well that year than people remember or are willing to admit. Those last 4 games (Aub, UF, MSU, and Clemson) he was a bigger factor than Henry imo.
I think that one of Coker's assets that get overlooked was his ability to take a vicious hit and not let it effect him the next play. I'm not sure that there are that many QBs who would have made the plays he did after taking those hits.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Today's athletes are bigger, stronger, faster, more agile, and run more complex schemes than in the past, and it's not close. Plus, there have been some important rule changes over time. Two of those -- unlimited substitution and allowance of OL downfield -- literally changed the fundamentals of how the game is played. So you really can't compare eras. You have to compare teams against others in the eras in which they played.

So I'd offer:
1925 -- allowed 7 total points during the 9-game regular season, including 8 shutouts, and upset a heavily favored Washington team 20-19 in the Rose Bowl.
1930 -- allowed 13 points all year, including clobbering Washington State 24-0 in the Rose Bowl
1961 -- allowed 25 points all year, and was never seriously challenged.
1966 -- Bryant always said it was his best team, so I have to go with that
1979 -- the most diverse offense of the wishbone era, and a nasty defense
2012 -- the best combination of offense and defense ever.

If I had to pick one that was head and shoulders over the other teams of the era, I'd have to go with 1930. Undefeated, almost unscored-upon, and a big win against the best of the best at the end.

In two close calls, not 2012 because for all the luck that aTm had to have to win, they still won. Not 1925 because, despite the dominance during the regular season, the last game was really close, which means they were better than, but not dominating over, the best competition.

Man, as I look at the other ones, you can make a legitimate case for any of them. Is this a good problem to have, or what?

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
2012 was probably the best team I have ever seen. I am not familiar with the 60's and 70's teams so no opinion on them.
I think we have a shot of having one of the most talented teams ever next year with a junior Tua, veteran o-line, and veteran secondary.
Exactly what he said.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I think that one of Coker's assets that get overlooked was his ability to take a vicious hit and not let it effect him the next play. I'm not sure that there are that many QBs who would have made the plays he did after taking those hits.
He was a gamer, for sure. He was not quite the Joe Montana or Tom Brady we had thought we might be getting from FSU when he came over. He could not take the job from Blake Sims, who had a great year and proved a lot of people wrong. But when it became Coker's team, man he really gave it all and I was proud to have him as our QB.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Our 1977 team was no slouch either. If Jeff Rutledge doesn’t throw 4 picks then we beat Nebraska and would have won the NC outright( though we should have won it anyway).

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.