How do you rank Alabama's great teams? In your opinion, which was the best?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I really liked that 1977 team. The one that beat USC and lost a close game in Lincoln Neb. With Nathan, Ogilvie, and Davis in the backfield. Either Jeff Rutledge or Steadman Shealey at QB? What a team. Ozzie played on that team. Defense was loaded too.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am one of those who saw the 61 and 66 teams play. I tend not to believe that the 66 team was as dominate relative to the competition as the 61 team. Considering some of the close ones against Auburn, MSU and Tenn.

As much as I love the nostalgia of those years I do believe that the geometric improvement in athleticism we have seen in even the last decade makes a comparison between eras unrealistic.

I believe there is a lot of merit in other posters ranking of Saban's teams which are clearly stronger athletically than any earlier teams.
You cannot compare teams or coaches across such generational divides. IMO you can compare teams within a 5-10 year time span beyond that it is meaningless, but good for discussion purposes.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Our depth now really creates a more "machine" like approach. More often than not we basically steamroll 8-10 teams per year where the game is never in doubt. Another 2-3 games per year where I swear he lets the other team hang around, almost by design to teach adversity and to control arrogance.

I think the teams the last two years have become virtually unstoppable and are truly almost plug-play

I think the discipline we now see would allow this year's team (despite the losses to the draft) to beat 09, 11, and 12.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
College football changed dramatically with the recruitment of black athletes. It also changed with scholarship limitations. My favorite teams were the 1961 and 1966 teams, but if either of those teams at their best played the current Alabama teams it would be liking playing Vanderbilt or may be Charleston Southern.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IMO, there is little comparison between those teams and the current batch (2009-). In 1961 Bama played what would have been 2 ranked teams, 1 in the regular season and then Ark in the bowl. The top ranked team was number 9. Techinically, the regular season opponent was not ranked, but I included GT because they received votes in a year in which there was only a top 10 during the regular season, then top 20 at the end. The 1966 team also played no officially ranked teams in the regular season since there was only a top 10 reg season and final poll. But I include OM and UT because they too received votes. The top ranked team was number 6 in the bowl. So, we see the schedule was relatively weak. It was common in those days.
It was a regional game without question.

But in my view that goes out the window when you look at what we did in bowl games when we had the opportunity.

The 2009 team played 6 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10; '11 played 6, including 2 in the top 5; '12 played 6 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10 and 3 in the top 5; '15 9 ranked teams, including 5 in the top 10, 3 top 5; 16 10 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10; '17 6 ranked teams, including 4 in the top 10 and 3 top 5. Each of those years except for '16 (Bama was number 1 all year, til the final poll), Bama played and beat the number one team.
Yes, but by definition you're going to play more now.

There was no SEC title game in 1966.
There was no four-team playoff.
And there was no 25 ranked teams, either (as you note).

In no way am I dissing you - and I actually AGREE with you - but the reality is that comparing now with 1961-66 is like comparing those teams back then with 1892-1898. It really can't be done.

It's remarkable what Bama has done averaging 7.2 ranked teams vs the 60s teams who totaled 5 in the two years mentioned. I.e., almost triple the number of ranked teams per year. The Saban teams have played 23 top 10 teams (20-3), 15 top 5 teams (13-2) and 6 number 1 teams (5-1) in those 6 years vs 2 top 10 (2-0) and 0 top 5 teams in '61 and '66.
It's no doubt amazing, but it's also the product of the modern time.

I mean, we faced ten ranked FBS foes in 15 games in 2016.

That's why I could care less about who we played last year or this. We've lined up the monsters and beat them.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It was a regional game without question.

But in my view that goes out the window when you look at what we did in bowl games when we had the opportunity.

Yes, but by definition you're going to play more now.

There was no SEC title game in 1966.
There was no four-team playoff.
And there was no 25 ranked teams, either (as you note).

In no way am I dissing you - and I actually AGREE with you - but the reality is that comparing now with 1961-66 is like comparing those teams back then with 1892-1898. It really can't be done.

It's no doubt amazing, but it's also the product of the modern time.

I mean, we faced ten ranked FBS foes in 15 games in 2016.

That's why I could care less about who we played last year or this. We've lined up the monsters and beat them.

First I agree that it's impossible to compare eras. In this thread we haven't even established any criteria for how we would rank teams. In fact, I've not even offered a list. I was just wanting to provide some context. We're all just throwing things out there. IMO, the fact that Bama's recent schedules have been far, far, far more difficult than in the past, adds greatly to their accomplishment. Why they are playing many more tough games is irrelevant. Prior to Saban, Bama had played the number one team 6 times in its entire history (3-3, Coach Bryant 2-1 in 25 years); they've done it 7 times in the last 11 years and are 6-1.(Btw, Bama's 9-4 record vs number 1 is the best in college football history. In fact, the only other program with a winning record vs number 1 is Miami 9-8. Bama's record is incredible. The other blueblood's records through 2010: Neb 1-11, OU 7-13, ND 8-16, USC 7-11, OSU 4-9, Mich 3-17, UTx 4-11.)

I understand that just because you navigate a much tougher schedule doesn't mean that you are a better team, but my point was simply that the recent teams have accomplished more by doing so. That's one way of viewing the greatness of teams, or at least one component.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
The 1973 Bama team that lost to Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl was the best I ever saw. The depth of that team was incomparable. The Tide started that season by punishing the Steve Bartkowski led California team 66-0. I personally witnessed the 77-6 shellacking of VPI (now VCU) and Don Strock. Multiple NCAA offensive records were broken that night. Bear used as many as 70 players in 1 game. We were declared National Champions after the season by UPI. The AP gave it to the eventual winner of the Sugar Bowl, Notre Dame.

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
The 1973 Bama team that lost to Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl was the best I ever saw. The depth of that team was incomparable. The Tide started that season by punishing the Steve Bartkowski led California team 66-0. I personally witnessed the 77-6 shellacking of VPI (now VCU) and Don Strock. Multiple NCAA offensive records were broken that night. Bear used as many as 70 players in 1 game. We were declared National Champions after the season by UPI. The AP gave it to the eventual winner of the Sugar Bowl, Notre Dame.
I was in attendance at that blood-letting of VT, too. Results: Alabama had 828 yards of offense, 743 on the ground on 63 carries for an average of almost 12 yds a run. Four players with 100 plus yards rushing, James Taylor, Richard Todd, Calvin Culliver (87 yard td run) and Wilbur Jackson.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
College football changed dramatically with the recruitment of black athletes. It also changed with scholarship limitations. My favorite teams were the 1961 and 1966 teams, but if either of those teams at their best played the current Alabama teams it would be liking playing Vanderbilt or may be Charleston Southern.

The All American right tackle and Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner on the 1966 team was Cecil Dowdy. Cecil was 6 foot tall and weighed 204 pounds. Could he hold up in a game against a modern team? How fast were DBs and WRs back then?

My best team is still the 1966 team.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I've watched and at times heard on a radio Crimson tide football since 1955.
I do realize it's impossible to evaluate teams over a period of decades, but these are just the way I see them within my minds eye!
While there are a lot of good arguments/positions being posted here for seemingly every team since the '61 title team, (Bears first title), all the way up to last years team!

Although in my lifetime I still would go with the '61 and/or the '66 team...

The '61 team is hard to beat giving up just 25pts. in 11 games avg. just a smidge over 2 pts. a game!

BUT the '66 team had 6 shutouts, gave up 44 pts. in 11 games, for an avg. of 4 pts. a game! (Qualifer The 'Bear' said this was his BEST team!)

A look at the Stallings coached '92 team shows they only gave up 9.3 pts. a game, when college football was throwing the ball all over the field!
But per usual the Bama 'D' still came out on top! Oh well just call me old-fashioned!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Comparatively speaking about players from 1966 vs players of today?? Yeah that would present problems, but remember too that the players of today could not play the same game that players in 1966 could play because of the incredibly different style of play. OL could not molest a DL back then. Blocking rules were nothing like today. DBs were not allowed to molest receivers as many are allowed today. I saw Dennis Homan play. I saw Terry Beasley play. Many of the players from the 60s and 70s certainly could play today and would compete nationally. Stabler? Sure. The game has changed. But those teams from the 60s were very talented and competitive with skill levels anywhere back then under the rules. Using the old rules...the teams of today wouldnt do so well. Who could teach them the old fundamentals? So......I think it is a moot point to compare the 1961 team to the 2018 team.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
Comparatively speaking about players from 1966 vs players of today?? Yeah that would present problems, but remember too that the players of today could not play the same game that players in 1966 could play because of the incredibly different style of play. OL could not molest a DL back then. Blocking rules were nothing like today. DBs were not allowed to molest receivers as many are allowed today. I saw Dennis Homan play. I saw Terry Beasley play. Many of the players from the 60s and 70s certainly could play today and would compete nationally. Stabler? Sure. The game has changed. But those teams from the 60s were very talented and competitive with skill levels anywhere back then under the rules. Using the old rules...the teams of today wouldnt do so well. Who could teach them the old fundamentals? So......I think it is a moot point to compare the 1961 team to the 2018 team.
Plus the '61 team had to play both ways, didn't they?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.