Former 5-Star ILB Brandon “Ale” Kaho is joining Alabama

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I thought it actually happened under Saban. Looked it up and it says the improper charges happened in fall of 2007 but the timeline didn't really add up in the article so I'm not sure.
Saban didn't get involved with his players textbooks. I'm sure that changed after that and that he has people to oversee such things...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Funny thing the son of Mike Golic said on College Football Live this week that he would sell his books back to the bookstore that he received free from his scholarship. Even went as far as saying it was common practice by all college players. Not sure if this is any different than what our "text book" issue was. But it sounded the same.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Funny thing the son of Mike Golic said on College Football Live this week that he would sell his books back to the bookstore that he received free from his scholarship. Even went as far as saying it was common practice by all college players. Not sure if this is any different than what our "text book" issue was. But it sounded the same.
IIRC (I'm no Selma) our players were acquiring books for classes they weren't taking and selling those back in addition to their required textbooks.

Also IIRC, the average benefit gained was under $125, which considering the cost of college textbooks, is essentially nothing.

And Alabama self-reported this - had they not, the NCAA would never have known.

Gosh I hate the NCAA.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Also IIRC, the average benefit gained was under $125, which considering the cost of college textbooks, is essneitlaly nothing.
My daughter bought a used Astronomy textbook for $127 and at the end of the semester, the bookstore told her that edition had been superseded and they would not buy it back at all.

Textbooks are a despicable racket.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
That is common practice among regular students...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
My daughter bought a used Astronomy textbook for $127 and at the end of the semester, the bookstore told her that edition had been superseded and they would not buy it back at all.

Textbooks are a despicable racket.
Yeah, I remember that...thirty years ago...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Heck there is a class every business school undergrad must take before they can graduate where the teacher of the course wrote the book and a new edition comes out every semester. No wonder the guy goes on safaris in Africa.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Had a hectic end of the week and have just seen this news.....

INCREDIBLE!!! Man is this a shot in the arm for the LB corp!!!

CNS is something else man..... has to dismiss a LB from the team and loses another to injury and then just goes and gets a 5-Star from another school before they have even enrolled!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Heck there is a class every business school undergrad must take before they can graduate where the teacher of the course wrote the book and a new edition comes out every semester. No wonder the guy goes on safaris in Africa.
Thievery comes in many forms in our society, but the current collegiate educational system is among the worst forms.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
First...yeah the Seattle writer has an agenda, basically implying Tosh did something underhanded. Meh.

I’m wondering how long it might take Kaho to get back to playing shape? He is projected to play inside but iirc he was listed at 218 prior to dropping a reported 20 lbs in the last few months. He’ll probably need those 20 pounds back plus another 10 pounds or so. Lucky we have one of top nutrition programs/training tables in the country.

Looks like the new redshirt rule may work to Kaho’s advantage. Work him in slowly, get his weight back up, play him late in the year and still be able to qualify him for a redshirt.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thievery comes in many forms in our society, but the current collegiate educational system is among the worst forms.
Unfortunately the CES is no longer about education, but about $$$$. More students = more tuition, fees, etc, and more money. As a result most undergrad degrees...and many masters' programs -- are almost meaningless.

We rarely talk about the complicity of universities in the student loan programs which often take a lifetime to repay -- whether one graduates or not. The schools definitely benefit from this.

And "educators" have the nerve to talk about the money in college football?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Unfortunately the CES is no longer about education, but about $$$$. More students = more tuition, fees, etc, and more money.
Which is why Bama is recruiting out of state students so heavily, and why each year sets a new record for student population.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
First...yeah the Seattle writer has an agenda, basically implying Tosh did something underhanded. Meh.

I’m wondering how long it might take Kaho to get back to playing shape? He is projected to play inside but iirc he was listed at 218 prior to dropping a reported 20 lbs in the last few months. He’ll probably need those 20 pounds back plus another 10 pounds or so. Lucky we have one of top nutrition programs/training tables in the country.

Looks like the new redshirt rule may work to Kaho’s advantage. Work him in slowly, get his weight back up, play him late in the year and still be able to qualify him for a redshirt.
I look for him to run with the scout team for most of the season until he gets acclimated to being a college student and some weight room work. We could see him in the three deep at the end of the season thanks to the new redshirt rule.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
CES is trying to be a vocational and academic academy which is part of the reason for the exploding costs. Need more purpose built academies for engineering and other vocational/professional programs.

I am not trying go sound like a small government shouter but a lot of this development in the American educational system can be traced back to the GI Bill, student loans, and the hunger for acquiring those consistent federally subsidized paydays. The collegiate education system stepped in quickly to avoid single-purpose academies from emerging and siphoning off these forms of revenue. Not saying that the solution is less education for our potential workforce but simply how our educational system organically developed is idiotic and wasteful.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
CES is trying to be a vocational and academic academy which is part of the reason for the exploding costs. Need more purpose built academies for engineering and other vocational/professional programs.

I am not trying go sound like a small government shouter but a lot of this development in the American educational system can be traced back to the GI Bill, student loans, and the hunger for acquiring those consistent federally subsidized paydays. The collegiate education system stepped in quickly to avoid single-purpose academies from emerging any siphoning off these forms of revenue. Not saying that the solution is less education for our potential workforce but simply how our educational system organically developed is idiotic and wasteful.
The easy answer is to stop default protection of student loans. Allow for their inclusion in bankruptcy proceedings. Force financial institutions to evaluate risk. Just like mortgages, when there is no risk to a financial institution, they are begging to "give" money to college students and too many students who have no business in college find themselves in debt situations that they will never be able to overcome.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.