Top 5 Best and Worst NC games in the last 20 years (BCS to present)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Since its been 20 years since the BCS came into existence, and put the top 2 teams against each other in a national championship setting, I thought it would be good to rank the best and worst National championship games in the last 20 years. Ill rank them all, and video the top 5 best and worst. THIS ISNT TOP FAVORITE GAMES, but best in terms of games. Sometimes I do use my favorite out of two games as a tie breaker, but these are best games that the BCS and CFP eras gave us.

#1a USC vs Texas- As much as I don't like Mac Brown and Pete Carroll, its hard to deny this game the top spot. It was a wild game that deserves the top spot. What sets it apart from my #1b? I really don't know, maybe because it was the Rose Bowl, USC was on a 3 year run, and Keith Jackson's last broadcast. Its just something.

#1b Bama vs Clemson 2015- I think this game is often overlooked mostly because A) Bama won and B) the next season was a revenge game. But what is missed is the duel between Deshaun Watson and Jake Coker. Maybe its crimson glasses, but this game seemed more exciting game to watch than the 16 and 17 games. It was the beginning of a great CFP rivalry.

#3- Bama vs UGA 2017- Honestly how many times have you watched this? :cool:

#4 02 tOSU vs Miami- 1st overtime game in the national championship, and ended with controversy. What more can be said?

#5- 2013 FSU vs Auburn- Just for the sake of not putting an Alabama loss in the top 5 Ill give this the edge. The funny thing is that 13 and 16 pretty much have the same flow in which the SEC team jumps up on the elite offense in the first half, it becomes a fist fight in the second half, and the losing team scores too early and allows the elite qb to make history. Similar score too.

#6- 2016 Bama vs Clemson- See #5
#7- 2008 Florida vs Oklahoma- I think this was a very entertaining game with two Heisman winners
#8- 2009 Alabama vs Texas- I think it was a pretty competitive game between bluebloods
#9- 2014 Oregon vs tOSU- This is about the point where we get to really asking "Is that game worse than that one"
#10- 1999 FSU vs VT- It looks like a blowout, but it was actually pretty competitive at times
#11- 2011 Bama vs LSU- It was actually more competitive than what the score indicates, but it was just a game that proved that everyone already knew "Bama was better and November 5th was a fluke"
#12- 10 Auburn vs Oregon- I think this was a boring game in which bad defenses held elite offenses in check. It was a topsy tirvey type of outcome
#13- 2007 LSU vs tOSU- A boring and predictable game
#14- 1998 Tennessee vs FSU- I think this is equal to #13, but my hatred to Tennessee puts this lower
#15- 2003 LSU vs Oklahoma- A game that ultimately decided nothing, and offered nothing because the BCS put the wrong team (OU) in the game

My bottom 5 are next post

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bottom 5

#16- 2012 Bama vs ND- Yeah I hate putting it here, but as a game it wasn't great for anyone wearing crimson or just hated ND. The real national championship was decided on December 1st in Atlanta But was one of my favorite national championships to watch since I didn't have to take my Prilosec. ;)

#17- 2006 UF vs tOSU- for those "SEC! SEC! SEC!" chanters out there, this is the only time Ive ever been amongst you, and it was because of all the BIG 10 and ESPN whinning about the tOSU-Michigan. What I remember most about this game is Ginn breaking the opening kickoff, getting hurt, and one of those announcers saying something like "SO much for the big bad SEC". The rest of the game was a gator feeding frenzy

#18- 2004 USC vs OU- Oh boy....

#19- 2000 FSU vs OU- By far the most boring game in the last 20 years, and FSU wasn't deserving of the shot here. But what separates from last is that it wasn't a blowout, and Nebraska was far less deserving of a shot.

#20- 2001 Miami vs Nebraska- What more can be said about this one? Boring, undeserving, predictable, blowout. Miami pretty much took the second half off to call for ring sizes.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sorry, you lost me when you put the 2017 win at #3.
I think 05 and 15 were more competitive games throughout the course of the game wheras the 2017 game was a tale of two halves. I think had we lost 2017 we would be saying " We put Tua in too late" instead of "UGA was better than us that night".

If you are referring to 17 vs 03.... I think favoritism plays a role there. Both great games, and both exciting finishes. :cool:
:cheers2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
BEST
1) 2017 Alabama vs Georgia
2) 2002 Ohio St vs Miami
3) 2015 Alabama vs Clemson
4) 2005 Texas vs USC
5) 2010 Auburn vs Oregon

WORST
5) 2012 Alabama vs Notre Dame
4) 2006 Florida vs Ohio St
3) 2011 Alabama vs LSU
2) 2004 USC vs Oklahoma
1) 2001 Miami vs Nebraska

The main reason the Miami-Nebraska Rose Bowl is the worst - worse even than USC beating OU like a drum - is because Nebraska had no damned business even playing in the game. Colorado would have been a better choice. Oregon would have been a better choice. Hell, the only other team in the top 20 that might have looked worse than Nebraska did was MAYBE South Carolina.

OK, Washington, as the Canes DID beat the Huskies, 65-7, but that Nebraska game felt about the same.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The main reason the Miami-Nebraska Rose Bowl is the worst - worse even than USC beating OU like a drum - is because Nebraska had no damned business even playing in the game. Colorado would have been a better choice. Oregon would have been a better choice. Hell, the only other team in the top 20 that might have looked worse than Nebraska did was MAYBE South Carolina.

OK, Washington, as the Canes DID beat the Huskies, 65-7, but that Nebraska game felt about the same.
It should've been Florida or Tennessee, but Tennessee ruined UF's season, and Saban ruined the Great Pumpkin's season a week later. But its really like the Auburn 04 argument... Is someone really going to argue that anyone was going to beat Miami (or USC for the Auburn reference) that night. But yes Nebraska was the most undeserving participant in a NC game

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It should've been Florida or Tennessee, but Tennessee ruined UF's season, and Saban ruined the Great Pumpkin's season a week later. But its really like the Auburn 04 argument... Is someone really going to argue that anyone was going to beat Miami (or USC for the Auburn reference) that night. But yes Nebraska was the most undeserving participant in a NC game

There wasn't a team alive going to beat Miami that night.

The problem with Nebraska wasn't that they were an unworthy selection; it's that they were an unworthy selection who played like an unworthy selection. I figured they'd lose, but if they would have put up a fight - hell, a lot of people forget that in the 2000 BCS title game (FSU vs Va Tech), Va Tech LED THE GAME, 29-28, at the start of the fourth quarter. If Nebraska had fought like that and lost, nobody nowadays would even care that they got selected (outside of Boulder or Eugene, of course).

But they played like one of those tomato cans Mike Tyson used to smash in the 1980s.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
There wasn't a team alive going to beat Miami that night.

The problem with Nebraska wasn't that they were an unworthy selection; it's that they were an unworthy selection who played like an unworthy selection. I figured they'd lose, but if they would have put up a fight - hell, a lot of people forget that in the 2000 BCS title game (FSU vs Va Tech), Va Tech LED THE GAME, 29-28, at the start of the fourth quarter. If Nebraska had fought like that and lost, nobody nowadays would even care that they got selected (outside of Boulder or Eugene, of course).

But they played like one of those tomato cans Mike Tyson used to smash in the 1980s.
I don’t think Colorado, Oregon, Florida, Tennessee, or LSU would have faired any better.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Not saying its the top but the 2015 game , to me, was the best. There was literally everything in that game. Tds scored in the kicking game, runs, passes. There was an onside kick. It was well played with no big crazy ref calls or non calls. The only reason people think 2016 was better is because Bama finally lost a championship game. It wasnt as near as exciting.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
my favorite national championships to watch since I didn't have to take my Prilosec.
To be honest, I like national championship games like that. It's better for my blood pressure to win like that than we did last year or to lose like we did to Clemson.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Maybe its recency bias but I still think 2017 is my favorite. I had been playing out that scenario in my head since we beat Clemson. We would go down in the 1st half by just enough that it would force Tua in the game but not large enough to prevent a comeback. And then it actually happened and in a more dramatic way than I could have imagined.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Maybe its recency bias but I still think 2017 is my favorite. I had been playing out that scenario in my head since we beat Clemson. We would go down in the 1st half by just enough that it would force Tua in the game but not large enough to prevent a comeback. And then it actually happened and in a more dramatic way than I could have imagined.
Truth is stranger than fiction. :)

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Sorry, you lost me when you put the 2017 win at #3.
I might tend to agree with him. I think the two games with Clemson were better games overall than the 2017 win, especially if you were a neutral observer. Now, the 2017 had the fantastic walkoff TD in OT that was amazing by itself. But that first half of the game was just awful to watch. I will still rate it at #3 though, because of the high drama at the end and all. Also, remember a PK missing what should be a gimme FG to win the game is not quite as exciting and fun as, say, a guy making a long one to tie and send it to OT. I loved the ultimate result of the 17 game, of course, but I will take the Clemson games over it in terms of best games.

For the other two in my top 5, if we are talking best games, you have to go away from Bama. I would say the OSU win over Miami is one of them, and Texas over USC is the other. I don't care what order you rate those two, so I will give the better to OSU out of respect for B1G.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.