Question: Looking for a specific Bama Tshirt

B

BamaJ

I may be posting this in the wrong place, but I am trying to find a shirt I saw several years ago and didn't know if anyone would be able to point me to where I may find one. The shirt had the lyrics from Deacon Blues on the back of it, where they say, "They got a name for the winners in the world.....They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..." Anyone remember this? I've googled and can't find it. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

B

BamaJ

Well, that's why we shouldn't assume folks. It's a legit question. If you're insinuating that I'm a closet Aubie, look at my join date. I've been here far longer than most of you. I just don't post all the time. Thanks for the insight though guys! You've been very helpful.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, that's why we shouldn't assume folks. It's a legit question. If you're insinuating that I'm a closet Aubie, look at my join date. I've been here far longer than most of you. I just don't post all the time. Thanks for the insight though guys! You've been very helpful.
For someone that's been around so long, I suspect you get what the reference here is.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I saw a t-shirt my freshman year before the Iron Bowl. On the shirt, an Alabama football play had a Barn player by the ankles, with the Barn players face in the dirt and the Tide player was pushing the Barn player forward like a plow. The caption said, "Time to plow."
I'd pay some money for one of those shirts today.

Avoid the rush. Start hating the Barn early this year.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
That song always seemed to me to be taking a pot shot at Alabama.
Really? Methinks you have misinterpreted the song!

They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide (the winners in the world)
Call me Deacon Blues (the loser's name)

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
Really? Methinks you have misinterpreted the song!

They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide (the winners in the world)
Call me Deacon Blues (the loser's name)
Here is what the guy that wrote it said:

"When asked about the line, "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues," Donald Fagen told Rolling Stone magazine: "Walter and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, 'You mean it's like, 'They call these cracker 4$%^&#*s this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' and I said 'Yeah!' He said, 'Cool, let's finish it.'"

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Here is what the guy that wrote it said:

"When asked about the line, "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues," Donald Fagen told Rolling Stone magazine: "Walter and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, 'You mean it's like, 'They call these cracker 4$%^&#*s this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' and I said 'Yeah!' He said, 'Cool, let's finish it.'"
Yep , it wasn't because the guys inSteely Dan were any great Alabama fans or anything. Sure has been good for us, though ! I'd thank them personally if I could!

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
Definitely not so...
So did you not read where Steely Dan thought it was funny that a bunch of rubes in the south had created this fancy sounding name to call themselves and therefore decided they would write a song about a loser who made himself feel better by wanting to be called Deacon Blues?

Also FYI, Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is not a patriotic song either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.