JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Previews 2018: Alabama Crimson Tide
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
August 10th, 2018 02:03 AM

As has become customary for a Nick Saban-led Alabama team, Alabama finds itself winning a title and then losing most of the core of that title-winning team, forcing a heart transplant headed into the next year. Despite this evergreen concern, Alabama always seems to come out fine on the other side.

The 2018 team needs to completely rebuild the back seven of the defense, but it's a testament to Saban's recruiting that despite having just two starters returning among the linebackers and defensive backs, every unit rates as “Very Good” with the potential to be much more than that. Offensively, Alabama must decide who it is and who it wants to be, as not only is there a full-blown quarterback controversy afoot, but also a significant change in offensive coordinator leadership.

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I wanted to take time to thank you for this. Your work is excellent - by which I mean we all take your scholarship regarding the players and the program completely for granted, but also you have a really engaging turn of phrase, entertaining without resorting to hyperbole. This article could grace a major publication such as USA Today, as I believe your articles have occasionally been selected to.

Bravo.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Thanks Jess.

I can't think of a time though in Bama's history where the offense as a whole is rated higher than our defense.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m marginally more optimistic on special teams.

DeLong looked a lot better on Fan Day than he did in the spring. A bit of inconsistency, but that’s to be expected from a true freshman, and he had some good punts. He’s no JK Scott, but then who would be?

I also think Boulovas has to be at least as good as last year’s starter.

Regarding returners....we really struggled on KOs for reasons I still haven’t identified. On punt returns, I re-watched a few of last year’s games and had apparently deleted the struggles just fielding the ball from memory. Surely we’ll be able to catch the stupid ball.

No reason to think coverage won’t be good again.

Net, I’m expecting the inevitable falloff from Scott to be offset by improvement in the return game and we at least tread water on PK, with a chance to be better there too.

So I’m looking for special teams as a whole to to be no worse than last year, acknowledging that, other than Scott, that doesn’t set a very high bar.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Thanks Jeff, while you put my heart a ease on most positions you created some angst for me at others. Have you considered writing thrillers as a side line ? Roll Tide, and thanks again for the insight. The quest for 18 begins!

Championship form already, Jess? Looks like you had a great offseason.

I still believe we will be even better than what most people are saying right now. If we could just find some depth! That offense could shatter records.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess. I have been looking to this all summer. Great write-up as always. We can finally start talking about practice and getting ready for the 1st game! Roll Tide!

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
2012, maybe?

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
By the end of the season they were close, but it would be interesting to see Jess's preseason assessment of both squads. 2012 was definitely the most balanced team that I can remember.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.