So AJ may not even get to be the placeholder for Allen?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have heard the rookie is starting the third preseason game. We shall see how he does against 1st teamers for the first time.
That was their plan from week 1 - each QB gets a start in the first 3 games. Glad that AJ is okay - it keeps Buffalo from bringing in another QB, which would have put him on IR.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I have heard the rookie is starting the third preseason game. We shall see how he does against 1st teamers for the first time.
The list is pretty long in terms of can't miss QB's with big arms ending up outside the league.
One only has to look at Andrew Luck to see how difficult the league can be on young QB's. He is playing in a dome vs. outside in Buffalo NY. We can wait and see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This just in - Buffalo's o-line is still horrible. Allen is getting mauled in this game.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
This just in - Buffalo's o-line is still horrible. Allen is getting mauled in this game.
They're currently credited for -11 yards in the passing game - since Allen's five sacks count against the passing total.

AJ's looking pretty good right about now, I'd think. :)

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
They're currently credited for -11 yards in the passing game - since Allen's five sacks count against the passing total.

AJ's looking pretty good right about now, I'd think. :)
He might be better off not playing and protecting his body - with that O-line!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The O-line is why I think he will start now. I would also look for the Bills to pick up a couple of linemen from the waiver wire, because that line is horrible. Didn't make a lot of sense to trade a solid left tackle away to draft a qb, did it?

rtr

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/08/alabama_nfl_roundup_aj_mccarro_2.html

The good: Played the whole game. Led a 24 point comeback, and had 3 tds

The Bad: He really wasn't impressive. Yeah he led a good comeback but this is a preseason game. Most of his balls were underthrown, and he made a lot of dumb mistakes. Granted injury and a horrible line could play a huge factor in it.

The UGLY: He had 2 picks, and was a 38% passer

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/08/alabama_nfl_roundup_aj_mccarro_2.html

The good: Played the whole game. Led a 24 point comeback, and had 3 tds

The Bad: He really wasn't impressive. Yeah he led a good comeback but this is a preseason game. Most of his balls were underthrown, and he made a lot of dumb mistakes. Granted injury and a horrible line could play a huge factor in it.

The UGLY: He had 2 picks, and was a 38% passer
Was going to ask if anyone watched after seeing his stats.

The line had to be bad if he had 5 sacks along with 6 rushes. For his sake, I hope that was a contributing factor in going 13-34.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
He had 4TDs in 4th QTR. 3 passing and 1 rushing. I dont care who is playing in the NFL that is a very good accomplishment.

I think they will keep him as one of their 3 QBs. He even told the offense in the huddle on the last drive, we will go down and score to win the game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He had 4TDs in 4th QTR. 3 passing and 1 rushing. I dont care who is playing in the NFL that is a very good accomplishment.

I think they will keep him as one of their 3 QBs. He even told the offense in the huddle on the last drive, we will go down and score to win the game.
Considering that he didn’t do anything until Chicago put in their 3rd and 4th string it really isn’t that impressive. He completed 38% of his passes. Line or no line that is horrible. Could be his injury, but like King said in the 4th preseason game teams typically pull their 1st and 2nd string quick because they know who won the competitions and who needs to be cut by then.

FWIW AJ isn't going to be cut. I think many here fear this possibility, but its highly unlikely that it was ever in the cards with a rookie qb on the roster for him to be cut. He may be traded on deadline day but he is going to be with them atleast until that point.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Pretty sure he’s still injured or just not 100%. Originally diagnosed with broken collarbone then downgraded to shoulder injury? It was obviously still bothering him..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.