So AJ may not even get to be the placeholder for Allen?
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

So AJ may not even get to be the placeholder for Allen?

and he may not even have a job after the end of camp for the Bills. Depending upon injuries, or if the Bills decide to carry three guys, AJ may not get his shot at starting in Buffalo, or even have a roster spot. They gave him five million guaranteed, if I recall correctly, but I have heard a couple of different reports that Peterman has outplayed him both in the minicamp and in the pre-season, and AJ didn't start last night, though he did play pretty well.

I think the guy is alright financially, and he can darn sure be someone's steady back up, but I was really hoping to see him doing some starting.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: So AJ may not even get to be the placeholder for Allen?

Yeah, I was surprised that he played as little as he did since they gave Peterman the start. Their stats were pretty even last night, but I didn't watch the game and I hate to use stats to compare QB play with so small a sample size. Peterman also threw a pick and AJ really doesn't throw many ints.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

The only examples of Peterman I saw were last year and he was shockingly bad. Like, "can't believe he's even with the team this year" bad. Now, he is a VERY young QB but it is still shocking to hear that he could have made that much improvement. Not that AJ is a world beater but he clearly has the edge in experience and probably even competitive fire. I thought for sure he'd at least get the nod early on. Maybe the playbook has been whooping him? Maybe Peterman just took a huge leap and is showing his true potential. Sucks if all this is true.
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Peterman completed all of his 9 passes in a row then threw the int. From what Iíve been hearing from bills fans and just reading is that AJ is more accurate but has a horrible pocket clock. He takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. Most are thinking there is a better than good chance Peterman maybe the starter, but itís not a clear cut quarterback battle like most thought.

FWIW Peterman took all the snaps with the 1st string last night, AJ took 0.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Peterman completed all of his 9 passes in a row then threw the int. From what I’ve been hearing from bills fans and just reading is that AJ is more accurate but has a horrible pocket clock. He takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. Most are thinking there is a better than good chance Peterman maybe the starter, but it’s not a clear cut quarterback battle like most thought.

FWIW Peterman took all the snaps with the 1st string last night, AJ took 0.
    The Bills HC said all three played well and said the film would determine who starts next week between Peterman and AJ. Some of it was coach speak I'm sure. He did take a sack on his first play so pocket presence/clock will be something he will have to work on.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I think we all knew AJ was going to be on a super short leash. But now he maybe be on a shorter leash if the guy no one expected to give him competition is also pushing him. For AJ to get the starting job he's going to have to really separate himself from the others. If they are even close, they'll go with the younger guy.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Here are the highlights from the game if anyone is interested. There's no denying that Peterman looked good. i think you can erase both Peterman's int. and AJ's sack. The int. went in and out of the RB's hands and AJ had a blown protection and absolutely no time to do anything with the ball. It was an unavoidable sack for anyone except maybe Russel Wilson.

Outside that Peterman looked SUPER sharp and AJ looked good. I'd be curious how he'd perform with the 1s.

ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

I appreciate AJ for all he did at Alabama...he was such a team guy. AJ made some good things happen with his leadership and experience. When you have so much talent surrounding you at Alabama it can make you look pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation All-SEC

AJ looked good. He also made the longest completion of all the qbs at 59 yards. He'll get the next start with the 1s. Allen isnt ready for the NFL yet. Foster may have cost himself a roster spot with his poor play.

Quote Originally Posted by TUSCALOOSAHONOR View Post
    AJ looked good. He also made the longest completion of all the qbs at 59 yards. He'll get the next start with the 1s. Allen isnt ready for the NFL yet. Foster may have cost himself a roster spot with his poor play.
    What's new. Unfortunately he's been underperforming since he left high-school.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    What's new. Unfortunately he's been underperforming since he left high-school.
    On the other hand, Cam Sims had a great catch and better RAC for the skins.

I thought AJ made better, more difficult throws than Peterman (though I am biased). Will be interesting to see what AJ can do throwing to that 6'6" WR.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Okay, going forward, I probably actually need to watch the highlights before commenting. LOL! Since watching the above highlights here's what I noticed. Peterson "looked good" if you like a dink and dunk quarterback. Outside of one pass down the left sideline, he looked to throw short a lot. AJ is more of a downfield passer and in those highlights is the better downfield passer. AJ looks to go downfield first where as it seemed Peterson looked to throw short first. NFL teams prefer the former before they'll accept the latter. AJ deserves a start with the 1's, IMO.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; August 10th, 2018 at 10:41 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon