So AJ may not even get to be the placeholder for Allen?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
and he may not even have a job after the end of camp for the Bills. Depending upon injuries, or if the Bills decide to carry three guys, AJ may not get his shot at starting in Buffalo, or even have a roster spot. They gave him five million guaranteed, if I recall correctly, but I have heard a couple of different reports that Peterman has outplayed him both in the minicamp and in the pre-season, and AJ didn't start last night, though he did play pretty well.

I think the guy is alright financially, and he can darn sure be someone's steady back up, but I was really hoping to see him doing some starting.

rtr

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I was surprised that he played as little as he did since they gave Peterman the start. Their stats were pretty even last night, but I didn't watch the game and I hate to use stats to compare QB play with so small a sample size. Peterman also threw a pick and AJ really doesn't throw many ints.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The only examples of Peterman I saw were last year and he was shockingly bad. Like, "can't believe he's even with the team this year" bad. Now, he is a VERY young QB but it is still shocking to hear that he could have made that much improvement. Not that AJ is a world beater but he clearly has the edge in experience and probably even competitive fire. I thought for sure he'd at least get the nod early on. Maybe the playbook has been whooping him? Maybe Peterman just took a huge leap and is showing his true potential. Sucks if all this is true.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Peterman completed all of his 9 passes in a row then threw the int. From what I’ve been hearing from bills fans and just reading is that AJ is more accurate but has a horrible pocket clock. He takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. Most are thinking there is a better than good chance Peterman maybe the starter, but it’s not a clear cut quarterback battle like most thought.

FWIW Peterman took all the snaps with the 1st string last night, AJ took 0.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Peterman completed all of his 9 passes in a row then threw the int. From what I’ve been hearing from bills fans and just reading is that AJ is more accurate but has a horrible pocket clock. He takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. Most are thinking there is a better than good chance Peterman maybe the starter, but it’s not a clear cut quarterback battle like most thought.

FWIW Peterman took all the snaps with the 1st string last night, AJ took 0.
The Bills HC said all three played well and said the film would determine who starts next week between Peterman and AJ. Some of it was coach speak I'm sure. He did take a sack on his first play so pocket presence/clock will be something he will have to work on.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think we all knew AJ was going to be on a super short leash. But now he maybe be on a shorter leash if the guy no one expected to give him competition is also pushing him. For AJ to get the starting job he's going to have to really separate himself from the others. If they are even close, they'll go with the younger guy.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Here are the highlights from the game if anyone is interested. There's no denying that Peterman looked good. i think you can erase both Peterman's int. and AJ's sack. The int. went in and out of the RB's hands and AJ had a blown protection and absolutely no time to do anything with the ball. It was an unavoidable sack for anyone except maybe Russel Wilson.

Outside that Peterman looked SUPER sharp and AJ looked good. I'd be curious how he'd perform with the 1s.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I appreciate AJ for all he did at Alabama...he was such a team guy. AJ made some good things happen with his leadership and experience. When you have so much talent surrounding you at Alabama it can make you look pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Okay, going forward, I probably actually need to watch the highlights before commenting. LOL! Since watching the above highlights here's what I noticed. Peterson "looked good" if you like a dink and dunk quarterback. Outside of one pass down the left sideline, he looked to throw short a lot. AJ is more of a downfield passer and in those highlights is the better downfield passer. AJ looks to go downfield first where as it seemed Peterson looked to throw short first. NFL teams prefer the former before they'll accept the latter. AJ deserves a start with the 1's, IMO.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
On the other hand, Cam Sims had a great catch and better RAC for the skins.

I thought AJ made better, more difficult throws than Peterman (though I am biased). Will be interesting to see what AJ can do throwing to that 6'6" WR.
Apparently he has flashed at times this off season. I think he might end up on their practice squad because we have 4-5 WRs ahead of him but he has a better shot than I expected and I was expecting him to surprise some.

Not to derail the thread but just because I don't feel like digging up the NFL thread, Shaun Dion Hamilton played pretty well for the skins as well(think he had like 10 tackles and a pass break up). Based on comments made from beat guys I think SDH is likely the future of the ILB position for the Redskins. It might take a year or 2 but I expect him to be a starter at some point.

As for AJ, I only saw the highlights but I still think he wins the job. At the very least I would be kinda shocked if he doesn't start at some point this year. Allen doesn't look ready and based on college isn't close to ready and has a high chance of being a big bust.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here are the highlights from the game if anyone is interested. There's no denying that Peterman looked good. i think you can erase both Peterman's int. and AJ's sack. The int. went in and out of the RB's hands and AJ had a blown protection and absolutely no time to do anything with the ball. It was an unavoidable sack for anyone except maybe Russel Wilson.

Outside that Peterman looked SUPER sharp and AJ looked good. I'd be curious how he'd perform with the 1s.

It was on the NFL network this morning and I watched it.

Peterman took all the first team snaps in the 1st quarter. He looked sharp. But most of his passes where short completions. He also had one 1st team receivers who caught 5 or 6 of those passes and a couple where outstanding catches falling out of bounds.

AJ played the whole second quarter, but with the 2's. His first play was a sack becuase the second team OL imploded on that play. AJ caught the snap and a DL was tackling him. But the one difference I saw in AJ and Peterman is that I thought AJ threw more passes down the field and he was GREAT on 3rd downs. He completed 2 third down attemps with long, accurate passes over the middle of the field.

My opinion: AJ showed more dynamic play making even with the second teamers. I hope next preseason game he gets the first team reps. Really don't know how the coaches will evaluate without seeing him with the 1s against the other teams defensive 1s.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Okay, going forward, I probably actually need to watch the highlights before commenting. LOL! Since watching the above highlights here's what I noticed. Peterson "looked good" if you like a dink and dunk quarterback. Outside of one pass down the left sideline, he looked to throw short a lot. AJ is more of a downfield passer and in those highlights is the better downfield passer. AJ looks to go downfield first where as it seemed Peterson looked to throw short first. NFL teams prefer the former before they'll accept the latter. AJ deserves a start with the 1's, IMO.
I agree. I posted my thoughts above before I read yours.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
The Tampa Bay Tines had two writers rank the starting QBs in the NFL today. The good news was both had AJ starting for the Bills. The bad news was they ranked him dead last. I hope his wife did not spend that entire signing bonus on shoes, and they put some aside for the future.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
The Tampa Bay Tines had two writers rank the starting QBs in the NFL today. The good news was both had AJ starting for the Bills. The bad news was they ranked him dead last. I hope his wife did not spend that entire signing bonus on shoes, and they put some aside for the future.
Wouldn't worry about what the media has to say. He had a much better day than most of the qbs this preseason.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
AJ suffered an ankle injury yesterday during warmups. Idk how serious. He was visably upset about it when it happened and slammed his helmet into the turf. Maybe its just a slight sprain.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.