Right Wing Conspiratorialism and Extremism

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I figured we may as well make this thread now. Considering that right wing nutcases have assaulted reporters, attacked train passengers with machetes, and murdered protesters, this thread is probably long overdue. Add in the Bundy standoff, the Oregon militia, shooting a US Senator... and now, massive arson.

This place ‘is going to burn,’ says text allegedly sent by man arrested in California’s Holy Fire

A 51-year-old man who is accused of repeatedly threatening that this place “is going to burn” has been arrested and charged with starting the Holy Fire, causing nearly 10,000 acres to be set ablaze and more than 20,000 people to be placed under evacuation orders at Cleveland National Forest in Southern California.

The arrest was made as more than 18 fires across the state continue to endanger the lives of thousands, including hundreds of firefighters and first responders working around the clock. One, the Mendocino Complex Fire in Northern California, is the largest wildfire in California history. Yosemite National Park has been closed “indefinitely” because of smoke from another fire...

Mike Milligan, 71, who calls himself a volunteer fire firefighter and chief, said in an interview with The Washington Post that he has been flagging problems with suspect Forrest Gordon Clark for more than three years. He said he alerted the U.S. Forest Service that “you have to do something or he’s going to kill someone or burn this place down.”

Milligan said he received several texts from Clark last week threatening to start a fire. “In a text, he said this place ‘is going to burn just like we planned,’ ” Milligan said... Clark had been involved in volatile disputes with neighbors — on their rented recreation forest cabins — for years and appeared to believe in conspiracy theories, Milligan said.
A Forbes reporter delved into his Facebook to reveal an Alex Jones level of derangement and conspiratorial thinking.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1027783814045560832

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1027783815597441024

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1027788173345091584

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Psychologists surveyed hundreds of alt-right supporters. The results are unsettling.

A lot of the findings align with what we intuit about the alt-right: This group is supportive of social hierarchies that favor whites at the top. It’s distrustful of mainstream media and strongly opposed to Black Lives Matter. Respondents were highly supportive of statements like, “There are good reasons to have organizations that look out for the interests of white people.” And when they look at other groups — like black Americans, Muslims, feminists, and journalists — they’re willing to admit they see these people as “less evolved.”

But it’s the degree to which the alt-righters differed from the comparison sample that’s most striking — especially when it came to measures of dehumanization, support for collective white action, and admitting to harassing others online. That surprised even Forscher, the lead author and a professor at the University of Arkansas, who typically doesn’t find such large group difference in his work.

One of the starkest, darkest findings in the survey comes from a simple question: How evolved do you think other people are?

Kteily, the co-author on this paper, pioneered this new and disturbing way to measure dehumanization — the tendency to see others as being less than human. He simply shows study participants the following (scientifically inaccurate) image of a human ancestor slowly learning how to stand on two legs and become fully human.

Participants are asked to rate where certain groups fall on this scale from 0 to 100. Zero is not human at all; 100 is fully human. On average, alt-righters saw other groups as hunched-over proto-humans... They rated Muslims at a 55.4 (again, out of 100), Democrats at 60.4, black people at 64.7, Mexicans at 67.7, journalists at 58.6, Jews at 73, and feminists at 57. These groups appear as subhumans to those taking the survey. And what about white people? They were scored at a noble 91.8.

The comparison group, on the other hand, scored all these groups in the 80s or 90s on average. (In science terms, the alt-righters were nearly a full standard deviation more extreme in their responses than the comparison group.)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I had a very wise mentor early in my career who told me to remember when conducting business that "you cannot deal with crazy people". He was not the type to be humorous nor say trivial things; I have tried to follow his words of wisdom even in retirement. These obviously are some of the people he was warning me about.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Well there are quite a few alt-left wing groups of this nature as well. Stupid is as stupid does. I get that some of y'all are trying to paint all "right wing conservatives" as crazy loons but let's just get down to brass tacks and admit that there are simply evil,crazy, stupid, etc people who identify themselves with whatever and go around doing stupid stuff............Black Lives Matter (exept when killing each other), Antifa, etc.
So, let's just all acknowledge this and quit trying to paint everyone who does not agree with whatever side into a corner.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Well there are quite a few alt-left wing groups of this nature as well. Stupid is as stupid does. I get that some of y'all are trying to paint all "right wing conservatives" as crazy loons but let's just get down to brass tacks and admit that there are simply evil,crazy, stupid, etc people who identify themselves with whatever and go around doing stupid stuff............Black Lives Matter (exept when killing each other), Antifa, etc.
So, let's just all acknowledge this and quit trying to paint everyone who does not agree with whatever side into a corner.
I wonder what the same survey of the alt-left would show?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You've articulated the position I've tired to lay out for months now, but much more succinctly. Kudos.

I wonder what the same survey of the alt-left would show?
They would sound just as nutty as the alt-right. Witness Ocasio trying to describe the Democratic Party leadership. The Miss America contestant from a few years ago now has company -- pretty, photogenic, pantsed as to depth.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The most significant difference, IMO, is that the crazy nutjob leftists are relegated to a dark corner. Sure, the anti-vaxxers sometimes get out, but that's about it. On the other hand, the alt-right has taken over right wing media, and its adherents are getting elected into federal and state offices.

The White Nationalists Are Winning

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The most significant difference, IMO, is that the crazy nutjob leftists are relegated to a dark corner. Sure, the anti-vaxxers sometimes get out, but that's about it. On the other hand, the alt-right has taken over right wing media, and its adherents are getting elected into federal and state offices.

laura ingraham is just saying what everyone is thinking but is afraid to say.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Food for thought:

My brother was up here last week for a couple days from Lake Worth to visit our Mom. I was over at her house when he pulled up.

He saw the Trump bumper sticker I have on my truck and asked "Has anyone thrown eggs at your truck yet?"

My brother hates Trump and posts an anti-Trump rant almost every day on FB.

I know better than to get into a 'discussion' about it, because (in my view) he lacks the ability to participate in a discussion without getting 'all riled up'.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while I appreciate and encourage EVERYONE to stay passionate about your cause (whatever it may be) there are many who feel violent acts are just part of the way we 'discuss' politics.

And......to get to the point of my post......it always seems to be the liberal anti-Trump people who feel this way.

I know there are many exceptions and I'm painting with a wide brush.

But you have to ask yourself....what is going through my brother's mind when he asks about throwing eggs at someone's vehicle because of a bumper sticker?

My message to those unruly 'heathens'......if you really care about your cause......try acting a bit more civislised and perhaps your message (other than just "I hate Trump") will be heard a little bit more.

My answer to my brother's questions...a simple "No.".

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I had a very wise mentor early in my career who told me to remember when conducting business that "you cannot deal with crazy people". He was not the type to be humorous nor say trivial things; I have tried to follow his words of wisdom even in retirement. These obviously are some of the people he was warning me about.
See story about my brother.....point made, Gray! :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Charmin....doesn't this have to do with the media more than anything?

And if so, how do you view the media as a whole with respect to unbiased reporting?

AND are they helping or hurting our country?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Charmin....doesn't this have to do with the media more than anything?

And if so, how do you view the media as a whole with respect to unbiased reporting?

AND are they helping or hurting our country?
The free press is the only defense we have against wannabe tyrants like Trump. If he could, he'd wave them into nonexistence tomorrow. So yes, they help our country. If the only information we can access comes directly from the government, we may as well be North Korea.

Now, I do wish they'd spend less time trying to be fair to absurd ideas. I wish they'd simply say "Trump lied" rather than "Trump incorrectly states." And I wish that Fox News would stop trafficking in conspiracy theories and falsehoods that lead people to shoot up D.C. pizza parlors. But it's an imperfect system, and it's sometimes hard to balance freedom and efficacy.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Food for thought:

My brother was up here last week for a couple days from Lake Worth to visit our Mom. I was over at her house when he pulled up.

He saw the Trump bumper sticker I have on my truck and asked "Has anyone thrown eggs at your truck yet?"

My brother hates Trump and posts an anti-Trump rant almost every day on FB.

I know better than to get into a 'discussion' about it, because (in my view) he lacks the ability to participate in a discussion without getting 'all riled up'.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while I appreciate and encourage EVERYONE to stay passionate about your cause (whatever it may be) there are many who feel violent acts are just part of the way we 'discuss' politics.

And......to get to the point of my post......it always seems to be the liberal anti-Trump people who feel this way.

I know there are many exceptions and I'm painting with a wide brush.

But you have to ask yourself....what is going through my brother's mind when he asks about throwing eggs at someone's vehicle because of a bumper sticker?

My message to those unruly 'heathens'......if you really care about your cause......try acting a bit more civislised and perhaps your message (other than just "I hate Trump") will be heard a little bit more.

My answer to my brother's questions...a simple "No.".
there is a message other than "i hate trump". you just don't hear it because you are busy telling everyone to be more "civil"

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
there is a message other than "i hate trump". you just don't hear it because you are busy telling everyone to be more "civil"
I'm sorry if that's how I come across.

I do enjoy a civil setting when discussion is underway.

It's more inclusive to a diverse audience as well, I believe.

The last thing I would like to see is anyone censored. I think we just want mutual respect for other's points of view, in the end.

I do enjoy your posts, for the record, and look forward to these mid-terms and subsequent forum discussion they generate on your end, as well as from others here.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
i think we are genuinely terrified by the brilliant and unexpected application of the "but timmy did it too" card from the wing-nut mad-libs game.
Sounds like you regret teaching them so well how to play that card while Obama was serving as President. :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.