Sea-Tac Horizon Air employee steals airplane-does stunts before crashing near Tacoma

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Pretty crazy story and sad at the same time......

A 29-year-old man stole a Horizon Air passenger plane from Sea-Tac International Airport and took off on Friday night, circling the area for a short time and performing stunts while being chased by military jets before crashing near Tacoma.

The unnamed man flying the twin-engine turboprop engaged in an hour-long back and forth negotiation with air traffic control where he mentioned not intending to land the aircraft, before the fiery crash on Ketron Island in North Pierce County, just south of Tacoma.
This is what he was flying:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Stunts in that? Props.

(too soon?)
Nope.

I kept waiting for, "We shoulda run Lynch at the goal line!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

What do this guy and Russell Wilson have in common? They both get intercepted when they go to the air.

I hear he was tired so - he just found a place to crash for the night.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This guy RUINED my night last night. I was supposed to do a local area flight but that went sushi and shut down our area.

So inconsiderate. But if you're gonna snap at least he 1) didn't take anyone else with him and 2) left an entertaining radio call

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I didn't even hear about it until after the fact. Quite frankly, I'm still not sure if the timeline from it. Just that when I went to get aircraft keys and check NOTAMS, things had gotten crazy

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
What did you think when you saw that twin turbo flying upside down? And he was concerned about fuel usage? Why? Flying time? Was it that he really was afraid he'd crash into a neighborhood?
Probably more concerned with how much more time he had for flying. With 700 and some odd pounds he had, at best, about 20 minutes at that point were he cruising at FL250 (25,000 ft). Each engine burns about 1,100 lbs of Jet A/hr in cruise. His intent seemed to be doing acrobatic maneuvers until one of them sent him into the ground or water. He almost bit it in one of the videos I've seen and the plane was reportedly inverted when it crashed. He also mentioned on the radio that he thought or hoped he would have crashed when he rolled. Seems like he decided to do something exciting and see something beautiful just before he offed himself. He had no intention of landing in a conventional manner.

I wonder if Tex Johnson was an influence.

ETA: Of course, TJ was a test pilot who knew what he was doing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Probably more concerned with how much more time he had for flying. With 700 and some odd pounds he had, at best, about 20 minutes at that point were he cruising at FL250 (25,000 ft). Each engine burns about 1,100 lbs of Jet A/hr in cruise. His intent seemed to be doing acrobatic maneuvers until one of them sent him into the ground or water. He almost bit it in one of the videos I've seen and the plane was reportedly inverted when it crashed. He also mentioned on the radio that he thought or hoped he would have crashed when he rolled. Seems like he decided to do something exciting and see something beautiful just before he offed himself. He had no intention of landing in a conventional manner.

I wonder if Tex Johnson was an influence.

ETA: Of course, TJ was a test pilot who knew what he was doing.
A cousin of mine, admittedly with anger issues, killed himself right after this...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.