I just received my first Social Security retirement benefit (payment)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
https://www.newsweek.com/deficit-bu...ecurity-medicaid-medicare-entitlement-1172941

McConnell is leading the charge to reduce entitlement payments to pay for the $1.5 trillion tax cut for the wealthy. This is pretty simple, if you lose revenue from taxes then you have to make it up from somewhere, which is precisely what I meant by "no such thing as a free lunch". If you don't understand this then I do not know what else to say.
be careful or they might come and explain "economics 101" to you

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
https://www.newsweek.com/deficit-bu...ecurity-medicaid-medicare-entitlement-1172941

McConnell is leading the charge to reduce entitlement payments to pay for the $1.5 trillion tax cut for the wealthy. This is pretty simple, if you lose revenue from taxes then you have to make it up from somewhere, which is precisely what I meant by "no such thing as a free lunch". If you don't understand this then I do not know what else to say.
I wouldn't mind seeing tax dollars taken away from freeloaders and relief given to those who contribute to our economy - and society in general.

The devil is in the details of course.

How do you distinguish between a freeloader and those who are hard working Americans?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
While I was out working this morning.....the thought crossed my mind that it made me feel good to work.

It doesn't hurt of course, that I enjoy what I do for a living - and always have.

At the end of the day though....I'm working.....and earning a wage.

And that feels good.

Even though I have finally reached the point where work is optional from a financial POV....I will continue to work as long as I am able to. Because it feels good to be a producer.

Reactions: SavanaBama

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I wouldn't mind seeing tax dollars taken away from freeloaders and relief given to those who contribute to our economy - and society in general.

The devil is in the details of course.

How do you distinguish between a freeloader and those who are hard working Americans?
well, we know how the gop makes that distinction

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
be careful or they might come and explain "economics 101" to you
Probably wouldn't help. Most people don't understand the dynamics of a national economy and use simplistic zero sum game statements based on a snapshot look at said economy to make some broader commentary. Economics is one of those fields that most people don't understand but think they do. It is what it is.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Probably wouldn't help. Most people don't understand the dynamics of a national economy and use simplistic zero sum game statements based on a snapshot look at said economy to make some broader commentary. Economics is one of those fields that most people don't understand but think they do. It is what it is.
yeah, there is a reason i put it in quotes

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The best definition of economics I ever heard was from an Economics PhD who described economics "like driving down the road in a car looking out the back window".

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
While I was out working this morning.....the thought crossed my mind that it made me feel good to work.

It doesn't hurt of course, that I enjoy what I do for a living - and always have.

And that feels good.

Even though I have finally reached the point where work is optional from a financial POV....I will continue to work as long as I am able to. Because it feels good to be a producer.
You are taking jobs away from immigrants.

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
SS flyer in today's mail.

So far no damage done by the current economy.

My Medicare Plan B is going up ~$9 but I'm getting a 1.6% COL increase which nets a gain of $14 starting next month.

That's an extra $168/year.

Thanks to all who are paying into SS.....it's greatly appreciated! (y)

Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Social Security increase 2021: How to calculate your new payment

Social Security beneficiaries are slated to receive a 5.9% increase in 2022, the biggest boost in benefits in 39 years.

The cost-of-living adjustment will mean an increase of about $92 a month for most retired workers, bringing the average benefit to $1,657 per month.

The Social Security Administration will be sending out letters to beneficiaries detailing how much increase they will see but you can do a little math to find out how your payment will change.

There is something important to keep in mind, however. Medicare Part B premiums are increasing from $140.50 to $170.10.

The increase of $29.60 will be taken directly from Social Security checks so whatever increase is added to your existing benefits, you will have to deduct $29.60 to get the final amount.

Reactions: PaulD and Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If you can wait until you are 70 then your amount goes up 8% every year...you have to live to about 77-78 to make the math work. Still, having that "check' appear every month in the bank account is wonderful...the greatest change in the USA in the last 50 years has been the decline in poverty among seniors -- due to this and other factors.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
If you can wait until you are 70 then your amount goes up 8% every year...you have to live to about 77-78 to make the math work. Still, having that "check' appear every month in the bank account is wonderful...the greatest change in the USA in the last 50 years has been the decline in poverty among seniors -- due to this and other factors.
Medicare is another reason for that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

And that feels good.

You will also continue to pay into the Social Security Trust Fund in the form of the Self Employment Tax, so long as you're working...

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.