Maryland HC DJ Durkin Placed on Admin Leave After Player Died. Toxic Culture Alleged

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...j-durkin-put-leave-amid-reports-toxic-culture

The University of Maryland has placed football coach DJ Durkin on paid administrative leave as it investigates allegations of abuse and disparagement in the program and the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair.
Athletic director Damon Evans announced the move Saturday, saying offensive coordinator Matt Canada will serve as the team's interim coach. Canada is a first-year assistant hired in January after he spent a year as LSU's offensive coordinator. He had made coordinator stops at Pitt, NC State, Wisconsin, Indiana and Northern Illinois.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ll-jordan-mcnair-death-dj-durkin-scandal-line

Maryland announced Saturday that head football coach DJ Durkin has been placed on administrative leave after reports of a toxic environment within his program. This came after three staff members were also put on leave following an ESPN report that detailed a coaching environment based on fear and intimidation within the program and questions about the workout that led to the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair.
Here is a timeline of events that has resulted in Maryland's decision to place Durkin on leave:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

Several current University of Maryland football players and people close to the Terrapins program describe a toxic coaching culture under head coach DJ Durkin before offensive lineman Jordan McNair's death in June after a football workout.
McNair, who was 19, died two weeks after being hospitalized following a May 29 team workout. He collapsed after running 110-yard sprints, showing signs of extreme exhaustion and difficulty standing upright. No official cause of death has been released, but ESPN reported Friday that he died of heatstroke suffered during the workout and had a body temperature of 106 degrees after being taken to a hospital.
  • There is a coaching environment based on fear and intimidation. In one example, a player holding a meal while in a meeting had the meal slapped out of his hands in front of the team. At other times, small weights and other objects were thrown in the direction of players when Court was angry.
  • The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.
  • Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.
  • Coaches have endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used food punitively; for example, a player said he was forced to overeat or eat to the point of vomiting.
After ESPN requested interviews with Maryland officials and provided details about its reporting on McNair's death and the football culture, a university spokesperson on Friday afternoon said, "The University of Maryland has placed members of our athletics staff on administrative leave pending the outcome of the external review." No further details were provided.
Although grueling workouts, expletive-laced rants and hot-tempered coaches aren't unusual in college sports programs, those who have been at Maryland told ESPN that what they saw or experienced under Durkin has been excessive. The current players said they had talked with multiple players who described similar views about the team's culture but feared repercussions if they talked publicly. The two players spoke on the condition of anonymity.
A former Maryland staff member said: "I would never, ever, ever allow my child to be coached there."
What a tragedy. If half the things alleged are true no one involved should ever coach again.

I am glad we have a culture that promotes player safety and positive growth.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I agree 100%. Also glad it is not an SEC school, as we have enough to live down already.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Terrible situation. The SnC coach Rick Court sounds like a real tool.

Will be easy for teams to recruit against them for the next several years.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

yeah, convincing a kid to put up with that for a chance at a winning season every 10 years or so is going to be a tough sell

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I agree 100%. Also glad it is not an SEC school, as we have enough to live down already.
U. of Maryland Terriblins may not be an SEC school but The New York Times is throwing shade on Urban Meyer's coaching tree for sprouting Durkin as LB coach, later DC and interim HC at Florida after Muschamp got sacked.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If you need help to recruit against Maryland, you have serious problems.

Glad this is the Big Ten’s problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I probably shouldn’t say this out loud but a part of me thinks this was brought up by ESPN as a way to move the conversation away from Urban Meyer and the Ohio state Situation. Reading the first article from ESPN tells me that this story was in the canister for some time and perfectly timed for release.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I probably shouldn’t say this out loud but a part of me thinks this was brought up by ESPN as a way to move the conversation away from Urban Meyer and the Ohio state Situation. Reading the first article from ESPN tells me that this story was in the canister for some time and perfectly timed for release.
Disagree. A player died. That doesn't go into the canister in this market or probably any market.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That player died 2 months ago.

Seems like a lot of the news articles makes it sound like this just happened.

Look at the thread title, for example.....

Everyone reported on the death when it happened. When they dug in for an in depth piece, they started to uncover this mess. So the death itself is not the story - it created a reason for someone to actually look at the program. I mean, who is looking at Maryland's program? Do they even have a fan base?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Everyone reported on the death when it happened. When they dug in for an in depth piece, they started to uncover this mess. So the death itself is not the story - it created a reason for someone to actually look at the program. I mean, who is looking at Maryland's program? Do they even have a fan base?
Nope not really. Most Maryland Grads I know care more about other Maryland sports. They couldn't care less about Maryland football and they are all big NFL fans.

This whole thing is awful.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
There will be quite a few guys not coaching anywhere anymore and it is well deserved. Sounds like they basically killed this kid and to top it off called him and others names that checked their manhood in the process. Disgusting.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The velocity with which he moves from explaining the importance of avoiding ad hominem attack into delivering an ad hominem attack is spectacular.
The Sweet stands corrected on their lyrics: 'Cause Little Willy, Willy won't go hominem!

U of Maryland Terriblins still haven't announced a cause of death for the player three months on.

May have to bring back Lefty Driesell to chair a blue ribbon task force completing the investigation...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

So it’s the media’s fault? I don’t think so. Nope. Or if it takes time for cops to build evidence to make a charge are they just sensationalizing too? No one tried to make it sound like the death just happened even if you took it that way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Do you even understand how news work?

Yes, the incident occurred in May. There were articles written at that time.

Now, the story is about the investigation done by the university and what has been discovered thus far.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.