LSU loses 1, possibly 2 QB's

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Best case scenario I think they limp into their game with us at 5-3. Then they will be 5-4. I think the Orgerone experiment ends after this season.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Best case scenario I think they limp into their game with us at 5-3. Then they will be 5-4. I think the Orgerone experiment ends after this season.
Then lets all pray they go 6-2 and get smoked by us, so Orge can get another year... He is just too much fun not to have around...

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Why in the hell can't LSU get a QB? Serious question. Not poking fun at them. I mean, lets face it, LSU is a destination program that top HS players love to go to. Its one of the bigger top programs in the country. Yet year after year, they don't have a QB. WHY?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Why in the hell can't LSU get a QB? Serious question. Not poking fun at them. I mean, lets face it, LSU is a destination program that top HS players love to go to. Its one of the bigger top programs in the country. Yet year after year, they don't have a QB. WHY?
Coaching. Evaluation and teaching. Bama hasn't really had a big time QB til Tua. AJ was good, but not like Tua. But since the game has changed the past few years, Saban has realized he needs one. Dan Enos is going to be a big key going forward. Hope Bama can keep him.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Coaching. Evaluation and teaching. Bama hasn't really had a big time QB til Tua. AJ was good, but not like Tua. But since the game has changed the past few years, Saban has realized he needs one. Dan Enos is going to be a big key going forward. Hope Bama can keep him.
I still would consider AJ a bigtime QB. Gotta remember he had McElwain and Nuss for OC's. Even then he was still a Heisman Runner-up.

If CLK had arrived one year earlier I think AJ sets all the passing records, Wins the Heisman, and we 3-Peat.

But I also agree that Tua looks to have a higher ceiling and when finished will probably be regarded higher than AJ.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I still would consider AJ a bigtime QB. Gotta remember he had McElwain and Nuss for OC's. Even then he was still a Heisman Runner-up.
He also had great RBs all 3 years, great WRs Jr and Sr years and a good-great OL. And of course a great D. So, his "help", though not perfect, was awfully good.
If CLK had arrived one year earlier I think AJ sets all the passing records, Wins the Heisman, and we 3-Peat.

But I also agree that Tua looks to have a higher ceiling and when finished will probably be regarded higher than AJ.
AJ threw the deep out as well as Manning or Brady and was OK-good on the deep ball, usually being a tad short, thus giving his WR at shot a the ball. But his short and medium game was inexplicably bad-avg. His swing passes were terrible and medium throws just avg. I don't understand it - I guess just practice or carelessness. IDK.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Kinda like us with kickers?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

For all of his off the field flaws, I would have loved to see Lane with the 2012 and 2013 offenses.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
They were talking about this on ESPNU radio the other morning and it was the prevailing opinion that we didn't want a star QB because it would take away from what we were good at..running the ball and managing the game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I mean Tua (in limited playing time) has shown to have a stronger arm, better mobility, and better accuracy/ball placement, and faster release than AJ. Not saying he is already better than AJ but he has the tools to blow AJ out of the water. His only limitation seems to be his height and he's not THAT short compared to some other small QBs.

Kiffin is a lot of fun. His offenses were fun to watch and I loved his got ya plays and early signalling of TDs. If he only wasn't so immature.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They were talking about this on ESPNU radio the other morning and it was the prevailing opinion that we didn't want a star QB because it would take away from what we were good at..running the ball and managing the game.
Was this on McElroy's show?

This theory is flawed on many levels. The biggest being the recruiting rankings of Alabama's QBs since Saban's first real class in 2008 (using Rivals since 247 wasn't around in 2008):

Star Jackson: #5 pro-style QB
AJ McCarron: #7 pro-style QB
Phillip Sims: #2 pro-style QB
Phillip Ely: #20 pro-style QB
Alec Morris: #30 pro-style QB
Parker McLeod: not ranked
Cooper Bateman: #11 pro-style QB
David Cornwell: #3 pro-style QB
Blake Barnett: #2 dual-threat QB
Jalen Hurts: #9 dual-threat QB
Mac Jones: #9 pro-style QB
Tua Tagovailoa: #3 dual-threat QB

The three outliers here are Ely, Morris, and McLeod. Ely was signed because no big time QB was coming to Alabama with AJ and Sims already on campus. Morris was a backup after missing on Winson and Gunner Kiel. McLeod was apart of Bateman's class and was primarily to help secure Tyren Jones.

Alabama has signed 12 QBs going back to the 2008 recruiting class. Eight of those 12 have been ranked inside the top ten of their position ranking. If Nick Saban doesn't want a star QB because it would hurt a good running game, he's done a poor job of it in recruiting top tier prospects.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

This theory is flawed on many levels. The biggest being the recruiting rankings of Alabama's QBs since Saban's first real class in 2008 (using Rivals since 247 wasn't around in 2008):

The three outliers here are Ely, Morris, and McLeod. Ely was signed because no big time QB was coming to Alabama with AJ and Sims already on campus. Morris was a backup after missing on Winson and Gunner Kiel. McLeod was apart of Bateman's class and was primarily to help secure Tyren Jones.

Alabama has signed 12 QBs going back to the 2008 recruiting class. Eight of those 12 have been ranked inside the top ten of their position ranking. If Nick Saban doesn't want a star QB because it would hurt a good running game, he's done a poor job of it in recruiting top tier prospects.

Our ratio of QB signed to QB who finished at Bama isn't any better than LSU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I had a saying that Alabama is where dual threat quarterbacks come to die. Jalen is the latest example of a dual threat here that can't pass very well. Now who ever said Jalen is a dual threat was very, very wrong unless every running back is also a dual threat. I hope Tua proves my saying wrong. Barnett and Hurts are definitely NOT dual threats. I think we have had some more in the past but I can't remember their names.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Our ratio of QB signed to QB who finished at Bama isn't any better than LSU.
Off the top of my head, McElroy, McCarron, Sims, Morris, Bateman and Cornwell all graduated. If Jalen stays until he graduates, that would be at least 7 QBs staying all the way through their graduation at Alabama in the Saban era. Add JPW if we are going back one more year. Tua and Mac Jones will also stay until they graduate, putting the number at 10.

Yes, some left to play elsewhere, but most have stayed through graduation. That is not a negative.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

No, it was the Show Pony who said it.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think CNS does not like being dependent on one guy. If the QB gets injured or just has an off night, the team can be in trouble. But now there's really no choice because of the rules that overwhelmingly favor the offense. In 2016 Bama was superior overall to Clemson but though there were multiple reasons for their win, Watson was the primary difference. The previous year Coker having a great game was the only reason Bama was able to win. Last year Bama needed Tua. This wasn't true in 2009, even in 11 and 12, though AJ had great games in both, they weren't absolutely necessary, but it made both blowouts.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Funny add-on, and I don't know what it means. When QB #2, Justin McMillan announced he was leaving LSU today, in his message he thanks Les Miles, Cam Cameron, but mentions none of the current coaching staff by name. Is LSU a happy place right now?
Yikes! I think not...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.