Outside of the SEC, most hated team???

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, here's what I hate and it's not really a "team" but rather the whole Big Ten entitlement to the Rose Bowl - that is no different than Yankee Dame's entitlement (I'd say it's a Northern thing but then I look at some of the hypocritical justification for past titles from Tide fans and.....).

They hold that damned Rose Bowl up like it's the Holy Grail or something. And I guess if you're Indiana or Purdue, it is. But Ohio State and Michigan have been to the game THIRTY-FOUR FRIGGIN' TIMES. They've won 15 (which means they've lost 19 since they have no ties) between them. The Rose Bowl NOW is not the Rose Bowl of 1965, folks.

I was more than a little put out when Michigan lost to Notre Dame in 1993 and they came off the field in what is touted as a big rivalry thing as though it was "no big deal." Why? They asked one of them and the gist of his answer was that the loss wasn't a big thing because they could still go to the Rose Bowl. (In 1992, in fact, Gary Moeller pulled an Ara Parseghian and had his kicker launch a 40-year field goal to tie 5-4 Illinois. Michigan was ranked NUMBER THREE in the nation behind Miami and Alabama (Michigan had a tie with N Dame). They were still in the running for the national title. His players celebrating because "they're going to the Rose Bowl." Their fans in the Big House - so named because it's packed with those who are a danger to society - booed. Beano Cook unloaded on Corso that night, too; I need to upload that video, but he snorted that that choice by Michigan is exactly "why the Big Ten is a mediocre conference" because "they think the Rose Bowl is the Holy Grail" - he even insulted Corso by saying he could see a team like Indiana, who never goes to the Rose Bowl, doing that but Michigan was still alive and well in the title hunt).

That's my thing. You line every fan base in the Big Ten up - except for some informed Ohio St partisans (in my experience) - and every single one of them would take an 8-3 season with a trip to the Rose Bowl over a national title that does NOT include the Rose Bowl. And I'm sorry, I just don't get that mentality at all.

I get the whole money thing, I even understand part of why the Rose Bowl wants a Big Ten school (let's face it - they're the biggest schools out there for the most part......and some poor bozo in the Midwest suffering from cabin fever in his snow bank is far more likely to travel to southern Cal for New Year's than a Southerner is - at least where the weather is concerned).

But this whole "we gotta protect the Rose Bowl" nonsense makes me feel the same way Lt Caffey did about the Marine "code of honor" nonsense when Col Jessup ordered the Code Red. What you have to protect is the egos of your (mostly mid-level) conference.

As I said - and not just because B1G is here - Ohio St appears to be the exception in the conference. You get the idea that Wisconsin could get blown out in the Big Ten title game and they wouldn't care......all they'd ask (if the victor was in the playoff) was, "Do we get to go to the Rose Bowl? Yay!"

Just as a competitor to say nothing of my Southern heritage, I DO NOT understand that brain damaged mentality. I just don't.

(Woody Hayes was one of the few to back Ara in 1966. Go figure).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I’m being honest....

It’s a tie between Nebraska and Oregon. Both have the most obnoxious and dumbest fans I’ve ever seen. Living amongst them makes me almost want to move to GA and FL... almost

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Surprised to see Michigan mentioned a few times. We've only played them 4 times ever with the series split 2-2.

All meetings have been from 1988 to 2012 and none have impacted any kind of Championship.

For those of you who listed them.... why the hatred?

*B1GTide I know why!!...LOL
Because they treat being a "Michigan man" like a secret religion for ubermenschen? (Note lack of blue font.)

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Some great lists here, thanks for participating. I agree with most, and disagree with none, because we all have our personal reasons for our dislike. When I start thinking about pairing teams up, and realizing I'd have to choose between them if they played it gets rough. For example, if gtech was playing neutred damn, how would I feel about it? No ties allowed in football anymore, so I guess I have to hope for enough overtimes to wear out both teams so they both lose out the rest of the year. :biggrin:

Texas is also pretty low on my list, That ohio $tate school, free $hoes U, and oklahoma is moving up (down?) the list rapidly. A lot have mentioned Michigan, and as long as Harbaugh is there, I have to agree, but once he craps out I probably won't feel the same way. I was always a fan of Bo Schembechler in his wars with Woody Hayes.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
For me and my football related hate it's always been Notre Dame.

However I've now been forced to add a full on beyond football hate and hope the entire university is torn down and the earth salted- Penn State.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Long time lurker but had to register for this. I'm a bama fan since 1988. With that said, I love all college football and watch as many games as possible. I'll pull for Auburn, Georgia, etc a lot of times outside of them playing bama. There's only one team I hope gets blown out by 50+ every game and that's Tennessee. Not cause of Fulmer either though it should be a huge part. The fans. Every fan base has their crazies but they're so far out of touch with reality that it's borderline insanity. Already believe Pruitt will be the next Saban. Hope Grier passes for 600 yards. Ah now I feel better. Back to the basement I go [emoji1]
Apologies to the thread title, but it's his first post, so wanted to welcome him aboard.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
I use to not give Boise St. a second thought until that punt returner laid down in the end zone in an attempt to hide himself. So..It's just a matter of time before a Georgia player dons a ghillie suit in an attempt to hide near the hedges. Boise St. and Georgia.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.