Special Announcement About the Future of UA Athletics Today at 11:45 (Crimson Standard)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Special Announcement About the Future of UA Athletics Today at 11:45

It really is an intelligent move, imo - ticket demand will drop at some point, so fewer seats will keep demand high and the added amenities will encourage people like me - who generally prefer watching from the comforts of home - to go for an even more immersive experience.
Yeah it’s the smartest thing to do

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Interesting Coleman Coliseum is 115 million to renovation v.s. 185 million to build new one.
If it was up to me I would just nuke it and build another one. I think UA is just too caught up with the success of the renovations of the baseball field for them to ever do anything different

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA

4) tickets are cheap
They will be cheaper in total since I will have less kids...after selling them to pay for the tickets.

It's not the tickets I am worried about...as much as the Tide Pride "donation" which will most certainly increase significantly once everything is done. I know there is a separate capital campaign to raise the money for the upgrades...but the ongoing operational costs will be much, much higher. That no doubt means raising the Tide Pride "donation" to help offset some of that.

I can't argue too much, as the product on the field is second to none. We go to games to watch Alabama...regardless of who they are playing. If I only cared about the opponents, I wouldn't be a season ticket holder.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Interesting Coleman Coliseum is 115 million to renovation v.s. 185 million to build new one.
Coleman is a good location but it will never be a great basketball arena until they move the other sports out into their own venue and make Coleman purpose built for basketball.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA

If they can complete this proposed renovation to Coleman, I think it will finally move it toward being a better basketball experience.

In the end, it's still all about the product on the floor though. I'd watch us play in a middle school gymnasium if it meant us having a quality team on a consistent basis.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

One thing I like is that they seem to be utilizing the aTm tower design for concourses. I’ve never been to a college stadium with so much room and easy access to concessions and bathrooms than aTm. I hope that is what I’m seeing on the corners on the design.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005

Looks like all they have done with the corners is enclose the ramps. I'm not too big of a fan of the design, though the louvers will help with the afternoon sun killing you on the west side while waiting for concessions.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If it was up to me I would just nuke it and build another one. I think UA is just too caught up with the success of the renovations of the baseball field for them to ever do anything different
Have you seen the video? it's the latest rendering of how it will look. I'm very impressed.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA

looking at the renderings again...

I will miss the exposed spiral ramps once they are covered up. They have always been the defining feature to me since they were first built...and increased with the additional deck in 1998.

I do wonder how much of this will happen. Everything right now is blue sky since nothing has been approved.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Looks like all they have done with the corners is enclose the ramps. I'm not too big of a fan of the design, though the louvers will help with the afternoon sun killing you on the west side while waiting for concessions.
It looks like they are doing the aTm tower thing in which it allows for more room, more concessions and bathrooms with shorter lines, and less crowded areas. I’m totally for that.

WRhodesTider

1st Team
Jul 25, 2001
Birmingham, Al

Looks like I'm going to have to eventually give up my seats in U2 west side since it's changing to club seating. The new pricing is exorbitant compared to what I've been paying although I do realize that I've had one of the best deals in Tide Pride. I'm curious if the new tax law has had any effect on ticket demand since, to my understanding, nothing is deductible.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

The jumbotron is more or less a gotta have for the future. It won't happen under Saban but in the future we would likely lose recruits if we didn't have one. Obviously the Coleman refit is something that was well overdue and had to happen as well. The expansion of the corners for more concessions and bathrooms and such will have a positive game day experience impact in my opinion. There are probably spit and polish items that are going to be included in this as well that people will like. You can't really stand still in this business, they did that in the 90's and found themselves way behind the times before they even knew it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Video of BDS and Coleman changes for those that have not seen it...

Last edited:

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL

I don't think it is needed at the moment but I do understand that you have to cater to the fans also to keep them coming. I really wish they would look at the aquatics center and upgrade it. Compare it to the one at Auburn and it looks like a community rec center pool.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.