Special Announcement About the Future of UA Athletics Today at 11:45 (Crimson Standard)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I didn't mind the facade but I don't think any of the stadium changes were that necessary. We need a purpose built basketball arena. This is all nice to haves getting preference because the money tends to mostly only care about the oblong spheroid.
My frustration is that it seems to be doing something just to be doing something. In that regard it feels a bit like the last Coleman renovations, it was more spending money with no true vision.

At least part of the previous plan, like it or not had a clear goal in mind. The big screen, the change in seating, at least it was a meaningful change. They were trying to address the student seating issue and trying make a real big visual impact with the screen.

This stuff? A completely unnecessary facade? It feels lateral, it's like they said well we started raising money but we can't do the major changes we wanted so...

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
In Texas, of course!

(Sorry, that one was too easy to pass by.)
Actually stadiums can be pricey. The structure alone can push the price up. Some high schools now have stuff in them I never even would have thought a high school would have. Maybe because I went to such a small high school I can't fathom it, but a high school with an athletic director just seems weird to me. And not athletic director/coach of several sports/teacher, an actual athletic director.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think they are planning for the long term as they should. Capacity can't be increased and attendance is declining due to HDTV.

Enclosing the concourses allows you to start providing the general fan amenities to keep the invested in coming to the games. Personally I like the wider concourses and food options available at Mercedes Benz stadium.

If no one else in the conference can do this then why not do it to set yourself apart?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
No big scoreboard, but the cost is going up?
Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by that myself.
My guess is the REAL cost of the original plan far exceeded preliminary cost estimates, and they're de-scoping the project. And even with the de-scoping the actual cost is higher......happens a lot in major capital projects that release cost estimates too early in the process. No inside info, just my guess.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think they are planning for the long term as they should. Capacity can't be increased and attendance is declining due to HDTV.

Enclosing the concourses allows you to start providing the general fan amenities to keep the invested in coming to the games. Personally I like the wider concourses and food options available at Mercedes Benz stadium.

If no one else in the conference can do this then why not do it to set yourself apart?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
HDTV has been around for 20 years. TV prices have been cheap for years. It's not a new technology..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.