Special Announcement About the Future of UA Athletics Today at 11:45 (Crimson Standard)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I always thought the giant scoreboard cut into the upper deck was going to be a massive eyesore, and I'm glad to see that idea is apparently dead. But color me confused as to why the price is going up unless there has been a gigantic price increase of materials.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I always thought the giant scoreboard cut into the upper deck was going to be a massive eyesore, and I'm glad to see that idea is apparently dead. But color me confused as to why the price is going up unless there has been a gigantic price increase of materials.
It’s called “ trying to invent an NFL venue without the support from the financial backers because you don’t know how to sell it”. The whole thing is necessary to combat the decrease in attendance but they have gone about it all wrong

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by that myself.
Construction costs are high right now. Everybody is doing lots of work and materials are at an all time high. Everybody is overcharging because they can. Eventually the bubble will burst again and everything will be cheaper again. They really should wait until we have another recession.

stickman0011

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 29, 2017
Enterorise, AL
When are the powers to be going to put in escalators for us older fans. LSwho has them and it sure makes it a lot easier to get up and down out of the upper decks. Just sayin...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When are the powers to be going to put in escalators for us older fans. LSwho has them and it sure makes it a lot easier to get up and down out of the upper decks. Just sayin...
That would be excellent, but I'm not sure how that would work with the angle needed for escalators coming from the upper deck.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Maybe a sky bridge from the old First National bldg downtown, to the west upper deck. Like they have in Gatlinburg.
I started to use blue font, but I'm an older fan, too.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That would be excellent, but I'm not sure how that would work with the angle needed for escalators coming from the upper deck.
Might not have the room for it. Granted once you get to a certain height you can put things like restrooms under them. You only need 6'8" clearance underneath them, but the escalators would still take up a lot of space.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I don't mind enlarging the 4 in the corners...I think it gives everyone in the stadium the same opportunity to the same view.
Huge scoreboards like that seem like overcompensation for lack of product on the field.
If you go to the game to look at the scoreboard, chances are you went to The Barn...:Joker_PDT_06: on TideFans.com
On the lack of a new scoreboard, but rising costs:"Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by that myself."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't mind enlarging the 4 in the corners...I think it gives everyone in the stadium the same opportunity to the same view.
Huge scoreboards like that seem like overcompensation for lack of product on the field.
If you go to the game to look at the scoreboard, chances are you went to The Barn...:Joker_PDT_06: on TideFans.com
It is overcompensating. It's overcompensating for the fact that you can't expand the stadium and fill the seats. And maybe that's where we are headed... we aren't going to be able to fill the seats. Frankly, we don't now. But for the most part, Alabama can bring in 100,000 folks to watch a game. Auburn cannot. Mississippi State couldn't even come close. So, they spend their dollars in other ways, and one of those ways is massive scoreboards. Texas did it too, even with a massive stadium, because of how it was built. I just think retrofitting one was going to look absolutely awful.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They do not mention the previously planned changes to the exterior of the stadium. IMO, that was the worst part of the original plan. BDS feels perfect as it appears right now when walking your campus. Most stadiums stand out, they are so different. But BDS feels like an extension of the campus. The proposed changes to the exterior are horrid.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I didn't mind the facade but I don't think any of the stadium changes were that necessary. We need a purpose built basketball arena. This is all nice to haves getting preference because the money tends to mostly only care about the oblong spheroid.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They do not mention the previously planned changes to the exterior of the stadium. IMO, that was the worst part of the original plan. BDS feels perfect as it appears right now when walking your campus. Most stadiums stand out, they are so different. But BDS feels like an extension of the campus. The proposed changes to the exterior are horrid.
Believe those are part of the second phase of the BDS renovation.

I didn't mind the facade but I don't think any of the stadium changes were that necessary. We need a purpose built basketball arena. This is all nice to haves getting preference because the money tends to mostly only care about the oblong spheroid.
Bingo. Apparently some of the bigger donations have been earmarked for a certain sport rather than going just to the Crimson Standard project.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm hoping Oats can make the tourney immediately and maybe get to the second weekend at least once in his first three years so it might wet the appetite for men's basketball supported at a high level. Guess that is the most optimistic take I can have right now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm hoping Oats can make the tourney immediately and maybe get to the second weekend at least once in his first three years so it might wet the appetite for men's basketball supported at a high level. Guess that is the most optimistic take I can have right now.
One would hope, but I fear too many in the fan base care about one sport and one sport only.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I’m glad they’re scrapping the huge video board. It was going to be an eyesore, and I think the 4 corner boards work fine.

I’m in favor of the facades because currently I think the sides of the stadium look very dated compared to the endzones. But I hope they revisit it and go for a more traditional look that fits the endzones and campus better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.