Special Announcement About the Future of UA Athletics Today at 11:45 (Crimson Standard)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Re: Special Announcement About the Future of UA Athletics Today at 11:45

I don't think it is needed at the moment but I do understand that you have to cater to the fans also to keep them coming. I really wish they would look at the aquatics center and upgrade it. Compare it to the one at Auburn and it looks like a community rec center pool.
They are doing a major remodel and addition onto the aquatic center right now.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Did they give a timetable for the Bryant-Denny renovations?

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

Just some quick thoughts on the plans for BDS.

-Not sure how I feel about the scoreboard yet. I don’t think the renderings look bad, but I don’t love it either. If what Byrne says about it being the biggest in the SEC at completion is true, then that’s just too much IMO. I’ve been to Jordan Hare since they added theirs and it looks ridiculous. The student terrace is a cool idea.

-I’ve seen a lot of fans complaining about reducing capacity, but I think it’s much needed. Capacity may have been most important ten years ago, but those days are gone now.

-Love the tunnel directly into the stadium at the Walk of Champions.

-I’m glad they’re doing something to improve the aesthetics of the east and west side. I would have preferred a traditional brick look, but glass looks good too.

-It’s weird seeing the stadium without the spirals, but I think additional landing area at the top is needed. Also will be nice to have wider concourses and renovated restrooms/amenities.

-I don’t really care about all the premium seating as I doubt I will ever be able to afford to sit there. I think it takes away opportunities for the average fan but also realize it’s all about the $$$.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Not wanting to open a can of worms about students (I have a child that's currently a student at UA), but it's pretty sad that they have to essentially build a playground in hopes that it will keep them in the stadium.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Not wanting to open a can of worms about students (I have a child that's currently a student at UA), but it's pretty sad that they have to essentially build a playground in hopes that it will keep them in the stadium.
Not sure this is exactly the case, but I think the main issue for students is the upperdeck aspect. Go from all being in the bowl to being split, so those late to the game decide they would rather watch from the bar, dorm, Sorority/Frat house, etc. than go up to the upper deck.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

Not sure this is exactly the case, but I think the main issue for students is the upperdeck aspect. Go from all being in the bowl to being split, so those late to the game decide they would rather watch from the bar, dorm, Sorority/Frat house, etc. than go up to the upper deck.
Yep, I agree. I’ve sat in both the lower and upper deck as a student, and the experience is just not the same in the upper. I came from in-state and have been a fan my whole life so I was always just happy to be in the stadium. But I know of many students who are not diehard fans, typically out of state, who will not go to the games unless they’re in the lower bowl.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The thing I am most disappointed in is the look of the stadium overall from the outside. BDS is an iconic stadium, and the current look blends in perfectly with your campus. It feels like it belongs. I hope that it retains that "feel".

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The thing I am most disappointed in is the look of the stadium overall from the outside. BDS is an iconic stadium, and the current look blends in perfectly with your campus. It feels like it belongs. I hope that it retains that "feel".
Yah, I'm kinda bummed about losing visible the corkscrew ramps and I'd far prefer brick over glass. Not a huge fan of the look.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

This is really my only problem with the glass panels on the sides. It looks good standalone, but it doesn’t fit with most of the buildings on campus. I think something more traditional like the facades in the north and south end zone would be better.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

BDS and Alabama have become NFL oriented for a while in terms of feel. We use the DJ more than the band so the NFL Taj Mahal stadium designs were inevitable

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Congrats on this wonderful news, folks...very exciting for y'all! It's certainly well-deserved!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Not that my opinion matters, but with the amount of glass proposed on the east and west side of BDS, there will be quite the reflection of heat in the morning and afternoons.

I no longer live in Tuscaloosa, and that's one reason I only go to 1-2 games a year. I'll never be a TidePride member, and that's fine. But, I just feel it's all a bit much. I sort understand the reasoning behind it, and frankly, the other facilities upgrade mentioned in this campaign and that are ongoing will only help raise those programs. I do question how high up the Jumbotron screen will be. I feel like it'll be much higher up than the one at Auburn or Texas.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

From what I saw, I think it's all fantastic! I love splitting that south upper deck and adding the video screen and that patio area! And Coleman's changes make me want to go to a basketball game. I haven't wanted to go to a basketball game in decades!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I think the split south upper deck looks stupid. Looks like the top third of each side will get a good view of the back of that giant video board, making you feel like you are outside of the stadium. Why not just take the whole thing down instead of splitting it, maybe add more luxury boxes (they could be "cheap" luxury boxes). Not that it really matters to me since tickets are not cheap (unless you want to go to one of the throw away games), despite what someone said earlier in the thread.

The Coleman upgrades look great but, I still think it will be too big for basketball. I wish they'd just build a brand new, smaller, more intimate arena for basketball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I think the split south upper deck looks stupid. Looks like the top third of each side will get a good view of the back of that giant video board, making you feel like you are outside of the stadium. Why not just take the whole thing down instead of splitting it, maybe add more luxury boxes (they could be "cheap" luxury boxes). Not that it really matters to me since tickets are not cheap (unless you want to go to one of the throw away games), despite what someone said earlier in the thread.

The Coleman upgrades look great but, I still think it will be too big for basketball. I wish they'd just build a brand new, smaller, more intimate arena for basketball.
I never pay over 100 dollars for any Bama home game. The cost of a ticket depends on the number of people you take and your patience level of waiting for knees to buckle. Bama tickets are way way way cheaper than they were 09-11. The past 3 iron bowls at bds I’ve sat on the 45 yard line and didn’t pay over 75 bucks for it. The most expensive game I’ve paid for since 2011 at BDS was the 2015 LSU game in which I paid 100.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

It really is an intelligent move, imo - ticket demand will drop at some point, so fewer seats will keep demand high and the added amenities will encourage people like me - who generally prefer watching from the comforts of home - to go for an even more immersive experience.
One of the few things I agree with Clay Travis on is the out dated nature of 90-100k seat stadiums. These were built for a different era. Now with HD, big ticket prices, expensive concessions, it’s much more enjoyable to watch @ home. Enjoy the game without the crowd plus others on several networks before & after. Less seats and corporate opportunities are the future, imo.

The seats they’re removing don’t fill up anyway. If there are empty spaces, that’s where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.