Forward progress, spotting the ball, etc.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I watched some Alabama games on YouTube recently, mostly from the late 70's. I was struck by the way the referees spotted the ball on run plays and the forward progress given on passes. Running backs were usually spotted where the knee or elbow hit the ground, not where the ball was at the time. On pass receptions, the reception was often marked at the point where the receiver went down, even if he caught the ball 2-3 yards downfield and was knocked backwards by the tackle. Maybe those were the rules at the time, but on the running plays especially, the runner was often shorted a yard and a half on a carry. It makes me wonder how the current method of spotting the ball would have impacted the rushing yards of some of the great backs of that era. Does anyone know if this was a change in rule or a change in method by the officials. I also noticed that unlike today, balls were seldom marked exactly on a yard marker. Today, the number of times a ball is not directly in line with a marker on the field are few. It happens inside the 10 more than anywhere on the field.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
Before I sound like I'm defending the officials, please know that for years I have argued that the quality of SEC officiating does NOT match the quality of player talent and execution on the field at any SEC stadium on any given Saturday.

So, with that out of the way - I challenge you to watch the process of spotting the ball by SEC officials this season. ESPECIALLY pay attention to the QUALITY of the viewing angle (perpendicular to the field/hash marks) that we have as TV Viewers and then compare that to WHERE the "spotting" official was standing when the ball is DOWN.

I know enough about baseball umpiring to know that accuracy is all about viewing angles and eye discipline. I don't know how football officials "do it" - I don't know the techniques they use - but I have to applaud them on how accurately the ball ends up near the correct spot MOST of the time. Those guys can't physically keep up with long plays. I know side judges pass off to back judges as plays get down the field quickly, but very rarely is the official that spots the ball very close to the correct yard line when the play comes to a close. Watch how they run along the sideline, then come in at a perpendicular angle to the downed ball. Often they are coming in from 5-10+ yards away from the play, yet get it very close to correct.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Before I sound like I'm defending the officials, please know that for years I have argued that the quality of SEC officiating does NOT match the quality of player talent and execution on the field at any SEC stadium on any given Saturday.

So, with that out of the way - I challenge you to watch the process of spotting the ball by SEC officials this season. ESPECIALLY pay attention to the QUALITY of the viewing angle (perpendicular to the field/hash marks) that we have as TV Viewers and then compare that to WHERE the "spotting" official was standing when the ball is DOWN.

I know enough about baseball umpiring to know that accuracy is all about viewing angles and eye discipline. I don't know how football officials "do it" - I don't know the techniques they use - but I have to applaud them on how accurately the ball ends up near the correct spot MOST of the time. Those guys can't physically keep up with long plays. I know side judges pass off to back judges as plays get down the field quickly, but very rarely is the official that spots the ball very close to the correct yard line when the play comes to a close. Watch how they run along the sideline, then come in at a perpendicular angle to the downed ball. Often they are coming in from 5-10+ yards away from the play, yet get it very close to correct.
To be clear, I wasn't being critical of the spotting by today's officials, or by those of 40 years ago. I just noticed some marked differences while watching some video. The officials were consistent, which to me is the most important part. I appreciate how the officials typically spot balls directly on the hash when marking punts, etc. It makes the job of getting first down markers correct and saves a lot of controversy. It really shouldn't matter if a ball is spotted at the 29 yard line or the 29 and 1-foot line for 1st and 10.

Maybe it has something to do with the way officials approach the end of the play, angles, perspectives, etc., I'm not sure. I like the way it is done today. The first several plays that I noticed while watching old video, I was concerned about the spots being short. Then I realized it was being done consistently on both sides, so it really didn't make a lot of difference. The exception was a few runs that would have been called first downs today, but they were marked short of the line back then.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Agree!

I sure wish the officials would step it up, or we make a mass trade with another conference...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.