How rankings lie. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American

Re: How rankings lie.

Quote Originally Posted by jambama1 View Post
    sorry recovering from my 2nd ankle surgery. I'm showing how many of these 5 stars never become anything or way over rated, hence the rankings lie. Also, BIG what are you hearing about urban? I really don't think he survives
    I wouldn't call it a lie. I would call it a missed projection...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don't know enough about the individual players listed in the first couple of posts. Basically, all I see is a list of names with no measure of their performance in college. Maybe I should be on meds?

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

What Jam is pointing out is the "subjective" nature of the rankings...along with the reality that no one really knows how committed and focused another person is when it comes to playing the game with peers. Lots of players are good when they can out-athlete any one else on the field. The question is how they react/perform when they are not the best athlete there???

I think I'll trust CNS' opinion over any recruiting guru...ever!
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    What Jam is pointing out is the "subjective" nature of the rankings...along with the reality that no one really knows how committed and focused another person is when it comes to playing the game with peers. Lots of players are good when they can out-athlete any one else on the field. The question is how they react/perform when they are not the best athlete there???

I think I'll trust CNS' opinion over any recruiting guru...ever!
    This also you can click the name to see the production. If you donít know the name likely they havenít done much. People get so wrapped up in the rankings of players is why I pointed this out. Also a ton of these rankings have to do with how many camps kids came to of a recruiting site etc. the perfect example is j. Williams for us didnít do camps nor was invited to any all American games as a result but was the best tackle in his class. The services had him at sixth best. Eddie Jackson was unheard of as was Jacobs.
    Last edited by jambama1; August 18th, 2018 at 02:54 PM.

BamaNation All-American

This also you can click the name to see the production. If you donít know the name likely they havenít done much. People get so wrapped up in the rankings of players is why I pointed this out. Also a ton of these rankings have to do with how many camps kids came to of a recruiting site etc. the perfect example is j. Williams for us didnít do camps nor was invited to any all American games as a result but was the best tackle in his class. The services had him at sixth best. Eddie Jackson was unheard of as was Jacobs.
    I don't see where it is a lie...

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    I don't see where it is a lie...
    Definition of a lie :
    used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression. Canít spell it out more clearly than the definition.

These rankings are a group of analystsí opinions. Are preseason rankings a lie if a team doesnít meet expectations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    These rankings are a group of analysts’ opinions. Are preseason rankings a lie if a team doesn’t meet expectations?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually yes but with the rankings I have given you can check their production or lack there of. Do I believe LSU has a top 25 team no ,does the voters going on a mistaken impression (Lie) believe they are yes.

BamaNation All-American

Definition of a lie :
    used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression. Canít spell it out more clearly than the definition.
    Well, a lie is sayiying that something factual isn't true. Star rankings are basically opinions or projections on how good the players will be during their college careers. Five star meaning they should start the four years, four stars start three years and so forth...

FB|BB Moderator

If individual rankings are irrelevant, at both an individual and collective viewpoint, then why worry about recruiting at all?

It is extremely hard to find a data-based argument that recruiting is irrelevant. I can guarantee that 0% of coaches would say that.

If the point is that some (a lot) of 5-stars don't live up to hype, well, I agree. But if rankings are irrelevant, let me have the top 25 every year, and you take random draws. After a 4-year cycle, let's play and see how that ends up.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

Don't think it is a lie. A kid can be a tremendous 5* high school athlete whose talent just doesn't live up to the college game. Conversely, a kid may project only as a 2* or 3* and develop in college as a future #1 pick. I think of Terrell Owens, from Alabama, who ended up playing his college game at Chattanooga and is now in the NFL Hall of Fame. That other larger schools like Bama did not recruit him may have been from for both on and off the field issues. However, what an amazing player. The only reason he didn't make it into the HOF on the first ballot is because of small minded media members who had their noses put out of joint because T.O. wouldn't be at their beck and call. There was no denying his high level of play on the field and no domestic abuse, drugs, or criminal activity in his off the field life.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag