How rankings lie.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
These rankings are a group of analysts’ opinions. Are preseason rankings a lie if a team doesn’t meet expectations?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually yes but with the rankings I have given you can check their production or lack there of. Do I believe LSU has a top 25 team no ,does the voters going on a mistaken impression (Lie) believe they are yes.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Definition of a lie :
used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression. Can’t spell it out more clearly than the definition.
Well, a lie is sayiying that something factual isn't true. Star rankings are basically opinions or projections on how good the players will be during their college careers. Five star meaning they should start the four years, four stars start three years and so forth...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If individual rankings are irrelevant, at both an individual and collective viewpoint, then why worry about recruiting at all?

It is extremely hard to find a data-based argument that recruiting is irrelevant. I can guarantee that 0% of coaches would say that.

If the point is that some (a lot) of 5-stars don't live up to hype, well, I agree. But if rankings are irrelevant, let me have the top 25 every year, and you take random draws. After a 4-year cycle, let's play and see how that ends up.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Don't think it is a lie. A kid can be a tremendous 5* high school athlete whose talent just doesn't live up to the college game. Conversely, a kid may project only as a 2* or 3* and develop in college as a future #1 pick. I think of Terrell Owens, from Alabama, who ended up playing his college game at Chattanooga and is now in the NFL Hall of Fame. That other larger schools like Bama did not recruit him may have been from for both on and off the field issues. However, what an amazing player. The only reason he didn't make it into the HOF on the first ballot is because of small minded media members who had their noses put out of joint because T.O. wouldn't be at their beck and call. There was no denying his high level of play on the field and no domestic abuse, drugs, or criminal activity in his off the field life.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.