Wanted to give my take on the stadium plan...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This says it all, with the unsaid but understood conclusion: And the University hopes that enough people are "willing to". My NFL friends will tell you that the more you rely on corporate purchases the more "casual" fans you get. XYZ Corp might buy 10 seats, but the odds that they will go partially or completely unused at some games goes up.
I think you're right. And that introduces a level of volatility in the revenues that the AD doesn't currently deal with.

College revenues have always been affected by success (or lack of it) on the field, and that will never change. But when you price more loyal fans out, and replace them with more casual ones who are willing to pay to see a winning product, you run a significant risk.....nothing lasts forever, not even the success we currently enjoy. What happens when the program takes a downturn -- and it will someday. It's a question of when, not if.

So you may make more today, but you will have greater runoff when the success they're currently paying to see isn't there anymore.

Lower, steadier income vs. higher more volatile income. I know Byrne knows that, and will take it into account. Like I said, it's not an easy call.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think you're right. And that introduces a level of volatility in the revenues that the AD doesn't currently deal with.

College revenues have always been affected by success (or lack of it) on the field, and that will never change. But when you price more loyal fans out, and replace them with more casual ones who are willing to pay to see a winning product, you run a significant risk.....nothing lasts forever, not even the success we currently enjoy. What happens when the program takes a downturn -- and it will someday. It's a question of when, not if.

So you may make more today, but you will have greater runoff when the success they're currently paying to see isn't there anymore.

Lower, steadier income vs. higher more volatile income. I know Byrne knows that, and will take it into account. Like I said, it's not an easy call.
One thing to remember - if things take a down-turn which lasts, the school has the ability to lower the cost of both TP membership and tickets to meet the market. Let's not pretend that high prices now mean high prices forever.

The NY Jets have lowered their PSL fees and ticket prices since their initial costs when their new stadium opened. The NY Giants (in the same stadium) did not have to make the same move because they have more long standing corporate partners buying boxes and seats. But the point is that this is not necessarily permanent.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
One thing to remember - if things take a down-turn which lasts, the school has the ability to lower the cost of both TP membership and tickets to meet the market. Let's not pretend that high prices now mean high prices forever.

The NY Jets have lowered their PSL fees and ticket prices since their initial costs when their new stadium opened. The NY Giants (in the same stadium) did not have to make the same move because they have more long standing corporate partners buying boxes and seats. But the point is that this is not necessarily permanent.
But at what cost? How many of the current season ticket holders that get run off by pricing return when you eventually have to bring prices back to a level that middle income people can sustain? The big risk here is that they don't return and the new generation of fans that have the disposable income at that time are not interested in buying season tickets because of all of the innovative ways to watch a game. In 10 years, there is no telling what electronic innovations will be available for us to watch college football games; and, at that time, millennials will be at the prime age/income level for buying season tickets. Based on current millennial spending habits, I'm not sure buying season tickets will be a high priority for them. Obviously, only time will tell.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Last year I turned down season tickets last after a very lengthy wait. At the time it was a tough decision but this makes me feel much better abut my decision.
An analogy would be if you were a regular at your local bar...and you always drank the same beer. The bar gets new ownership but keeps things relatively the same. Then all of a sudden, they announce changes to the way the bar will operate. You can keep coming, but they will no longer serve your favorite beer. They are actually converting to a liquor-only bar that only serves top-shelf spirits. So instead of your $3 beer, you will have to pay $10 for a glass of liquor. Sure, what you are drinking is of higher quality and the ABV is much better than a bottle of beer. But if you aren't comfortable paying $10 for every drink, it doesn't matter how good it is. You can just drink at home or at a friend's house and enjoy your favorite beer.

It is an imperfect analogy, but as a Tide Pride season ticket holder who will be relocated (SS7), I have a feeling I won't be pleased with the results. I waited for 9.5 years to get my tickets...only to potentially lose them soon due to the rising costs.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I have been buying my tickets each year from season-ticket holders who are not physically able to attend anymore. But this year, I told them I couldn't afford it. I'll miss going. Love the atmosphere. And all the good-looking women choose to go to the game and not come to my house.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I believe that this is sort of like Ronald Reagan looking Mikhail Gorbechev in the eye and telling him you will not win this Cold War with me in command. I will outspend you until your entire system crashes to the ground just trying to keep up. This is what CNS has planned for the Bryant-Denny-Saban renovations. No high schooler will ever be able to compare our stadium with anyone else's. Our practice facilities. Our work out rooms. Our meeting rooms. NFL GM's will drool with envy over what we can present to the 17 year olds who come on visits. And by doing all of this I think that Coach feels we will have separated ourselves from 95% of what college football has to offer, and this will be his lasting legacy to the University of Alabama football program. Yes, the six or seven national championship trophies will sit atop the cake, but the layers underneath will be beyond compare, as well.

And if we dab some lipstick on Coleman and spend some money on Rhoades, so much the better. :)

rtr

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
I see what you did there! I too have wondered if/when this was coming. CNS will have something named after him...it's not a matter of if, but when?
I suspect in about 10 years from now we will be watching games played on "Nick Saban Field at Bryant-Denny Stadium."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.