7 shot (including 3 year old) in Chicago Neighborhood overnight

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can't link it - far too much language - but Darryl 'DMC' McDaniels from Run DMC has an awesome video posted on a Facebook on page called 'Double Down News' called "What the ____ happened to hip hop?" - really speaks into some of the cultural issues in this discussion. Highly recommended.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I can't link it - far too much language - but Darryl 'DMC' McDaniels from Run DMC has an awesome video posted on a Facebook on page called 'Double Down News' called "What the ____ happened to hip hop?" - really speaks into some of the cultural issues in this discussion. Highly recommended.
I'm about 7 minutes in and will watch the rest later.

Couple quick thoughts......

1. Take out the cursing so the video can be published on more sites

2. I've often wondered why we didn't have more black leaders/role models stepping up in all the years since MLK, Jr. It's one thing for non-blacks to preach it and a whole other thing for a black person to preach it. We need more of this!

3. Not sure if I agree with his comparison of Disco to Hip-hop as apples to apples, but his point was not a bad one there

4. I really appreciate when our recording artists and celebrities mature....it's gratifying to hear their messages of responsibility and morality

5. FWIW....he's looking at the "big picture" - something I have found very refreshing in societal and political discussions, albeit some will never understand

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

2. I've often wondered why we didn't have more black leaders/role models stepping up in all the years since MLK, Jr. It's one thing for non-blacks to preach it and a whole other thing for a black person to preach it. We need more of this!

3. Not sure if I agree with his comparison of Disco to Hip-hop as apples to apples, but his point was not a bad one there

4. I really appreciate when our recording artists and celebrities mature....it's gratifying to hear their messages of responsibility and morality

5. FWIW....he's looking at the "big picture" - something I have found very refreshing in societal and political discussions, albeit some will never understand
there are tons of black leaders and role models stepping up around the country and they have been since before and after mlk, jr.s time. but in the "big picture" they are often greeted with "why aren't you more like [my sanitized version] of mlk, jr." and are repeatedly told by white folks the correct way they should be doing everything and what they should be worrying about. remember, mlk jr was hated by the establishment while he was alive.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
there are tons of black leaders and role models stepping up around the country and they have been since before and after mlk, jr.s time. but in the "big picture" they are often greeted with "why aren't you more like [my sanitized version] of mlk, jr." and are repeatedly told by white folks the correct way they should be doing everything and what they should be worrying about. remember, mlk jr was hated by the establishment while he was alive.
Tons of them? Awesome. Go ahead and post the names of these black leaders and role models you speak of and what they have accomplished.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's not about black and white - there are tons of white people who listen to (and are influenced by) modern hiphop's glorification of violence, misogyny, materialism at all costs, etc. This isn't race-based - it's a culture that crosses racial boundaries - but when your most consumed music is one filled with all these things, you get results like we see now.

These issues are not solely due to hip hop, of course, but that's one avenue that's being abused rather being used.

I don't think I could come up with a better analogy for modern hip hop than disco if I tried - and I've been trying for years.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
It's not about black and white - there are tons of white people who listen to (and are influenced by) modern hiphop's glorification of violence, misogyny, materialism at all costs, etc. This isn't race-based - it's a culture that crosses racial boundaries - but when your most consumed music is one filled with all these things, you get results like we see now.

These issues are not solely due to hip hop, of course, but that's one avenue that's being abused rather being used.

I don't think I could come up with a better analogy for modern hip hop than disco if I tried - and I've been trying for years.black
Disco and Hip-Hop is a good analogy - but not apples to apples. The biggest reason is there was no gun culture in disco. Not that I was aware of - and I lived through that era.

Also, I agree with Hip Hop not just being popular with the black culture - I was just commenting it was good to see a black person, especially someone with his stature, step up and tell it like it is. No matter what color someone is - this is a very good thing and I would like to see more from anyone who is able to step back and look at the big picture.

Federal government took that place. Ain't no beating the government. The welfare state is the daddy now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Disco and Hip-Hop is a good analogy - but not apples to apples. The biggest reason is there was no gun culture in disco. Not that I was aware of - and I lived through that era.
He's talking about how vapid and culturally insignificant the art is - just as disco was about disposable, feel-good tripe, so is most of modern hip hop. It's lost its cultural awareness even though its impact remains strong.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
that was a good piece, and i notice that he gave kendrick lamar some good props. also, i had forgotten about cb4. i'm not sure when he did this one, but childish gambino's "this is america" should have gotten a shout out too, imo. (can't link because of one blue word late in the song)

some of the earlier rappers (public enemy, krs-1, nwa, etc.) did have a strong message, but were also seen at the time as fairly subversive/violent/dissident and encouraging the same in our youth. and there were also groups like de-la-sol and digable planets. there was no end of moral panic, even from black communities, from public enemy onward about how this music was poisoning our youth and culture. (parental advisory and tipper gore)

so while i agree with his basic point, i think this has a bit of "kids these days" vibe to it. i guess that is part of what makes it interesting.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
so while i agree with his basic point, i think this has a bit of "kids these days" vibe to it. i guess that is part of what makes it interesting.
While I tend to err on the side of assuming older folks blame younger folks because they're out of touch, I believe on a fundamental level he's dead on, regardless of his motivation (which I think is pure, not an attempt to take away from anyone's work or success).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.