Coffee Makers - looking for recommendations

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
On the rare occasion that I have coffee at my office, I typically get heartburn. It's a Kuerig with re-usable filter. I don't have the issue at home, so I always associated it with a difference in coffee quality. I had been told that the oils were good, not bad. I'll have look into this some more. Thanks for the tip.
I've not had any problems with heartburn from using a Kuerig for around 5 years.

A friend, OTOH, had to throw his out a few months ago because he had some serious problems. He researched how he was feeling in regards to a Kuerig. He found a few links associating stomach problems to Kuerigs. He tried to clean his one really good time (already regularly cleaned it, and he found white particles floating in the water. Quickly chunked it at that point.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Also just got a Chemex last week and have used it once so far and made way too strong coffee, i think once i get it dialed in it will be awesome
Use a slightly coarser grind than you have to use with a dripper and 1/2 to 2/3 of the coffee.

Yes, you can get stronger, better tasting coffee in a Chemex while using less coffee.

Also, if you routinely make a second pot then don't throw the first rounds grounds away. Simply move the filter into another container that will at least roughly hold its shape and then add an extra 1/3 of new grounds to it for the second pot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
...The keys to a truly good cup of coffee are fresh grounds, soft water, a filter that drains more slowly than your average filter, a filter that catches not only all of the grounds but most of the excess oils, and a brewing process that keeps the water as close to 200 degrees as possible while adding water in a non-continuous method.

The end result is a cup of coffee that has more body, truer flavor, and less acidity than you can possibly get from any drip coffee-maker using the same grounds.
Ooh, I actually forgot one of the most important things for a great cup of coffee: investing in a high-quality, burr grinder - preferably with ceramic burrs. It really makes a world of difference.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Love my Ninja coffee bar, ditched my Keurig as a result. I use it with paper filters, preferably natural (instead of bleached white ones).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
paper filters take out the oils that are responsible for much if not all of the associated stomach issues that go with coffee.
FWIW, those oils also add a lot of the flavor to well-made coffee. There's a reason most really serious coffee bars (and every espresso machine under the sun) use metal filtration.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
FWIW, those oils also add a lot of the flavor to well-made coffee. There's a reason most really serious coffee bars (and every espresso machine under the sun) use metal filtration.
i think that's one thing that makes the cold steeped coffee so good. the flavor is out of this world.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Never knew we had so many coffee snobs... :)
And I don’t understand why some people enjoy cheap coffee.

I get mine from Maui (I fell in love with the stuff while I was there last year). It definitely isn’t cheap but it is very good. I grind it every morning (well every morning that I actually have coffee) and put it in my Keurig. I typically don’t have coffee in the summer, but the last month, I have been adding ice and putting it in my Ninja and making my own frappuccino.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And I don’t understand why some people enjoy cheap coffee.

I get mine from Maui (I fell in love with the stuff while I was there last year). It definitely isn’t cheap but it is very good. I grind it every morning (well every morning that I actually have coffee) and put it in my Keurig. I typically don’t have coffee in the summer, but the last month, I have been adding ice and putting it in my Ninja and making my own frappuccino.
Um, I rest my case. I would also like to drive a Lamborghini... :D

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Um, I rest my case. I would also like to drive a Lamborghini... :D
My work actually makes fun of me too. We have a coffee/tea machine here that does everything. The coffee is called Roar ( i think that is the name of the coffee machine as well.) and the is tea Bigelow. When I referred to both as “cheap”, I was called a coffee/tea snob.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My work actually makes fun of me too. We have a coffee/tea machine here that does everything. The coffee is called Roar ( i think that is the name of the coffee machine as well.) and the is tea Bigelow. When I referred to both as “cheap”, I was called a coffee/tea snob.
I make do with Starbucks fair trade beans and a drip maker, although, from reading above, it does take a full minute per cup. That'll have to do. I also drive a seven-year old truck...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've not had any problems with heartburn from using a Kuerig for around 5 years.

A friend, OTOH, had to throw his out a few months ago because he had some serious problems. He researched how he was feeling in regards to a Kuerig. He found a few links associating stomach problems to Kuerigs. He tried to clean his one really good time (already regularly cleaned it, and he found white particles floating in the water. Quickly chunked it at that point.
Just came across this on Facebook. Makes me want to chunk my Kuerig.

https://www.facebook.com/34315951/posts/10103948144289334/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I descale my keurig once a year running a full carafe of straight white vinegar followed by a full cafe of water. There is no way my Keurig looks that way
same with me. plus I only use purified water in mine, never the tap (despite that mine came with a filter which I have never even opened).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I descale my keurig once a year running a full carafe of straight white vinegar followed by a full cafe of water. There is no way my Keurig looks that way
I use the descale solution Keurig sells every time I get the notice for it. Believe my friend did it, too.

Has to be something with the individual machine and not every single one.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I use the descale solution Keurig sells every time I get the notice for it. Believe my friend did it, too.

Has to be something with the individual machine and not every single one.

I always check when de-scaling to make sure the output is clear. There is no way his would be

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For those that use a reusable cup for your Keurig, how do you prevent a weird mixture of grounds at the bottom of the cup? Decided to try that to save some money and continue to have something odd for the last sip or two (obviously don't drink it after the first time I made the mistake).

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
For those that use a reusable cup for your Keurig, how do you prevent a weird mixture of grounds at the bottom of the cup? Decided to try that to save some money and continue to have something odd for the last sip or two (obviously don't drink it after the first time I made the mistake).
I use this as it uses a paper filter. https://www.javajig.com/

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.