Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    In the end, I think Jill Stein is as embroiled in the Russian business as Trump is.
    a couple of bernie's folks are too.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    As long as we understand what a gigantic hurdle it is for a progressive to succeed against the entrenched elite that are effectively steering this country toward an autocracy.

A case in point would be Brazil where Michel Temer came to New York to gain the approval of bond holders in their effort to take out the democratically elected President, Dilma Rousseff, though extensive bribes of the legislative and judicial system of Brazil. Their main purpose has been to end Brazil's spending on social programs and the campaign against corruption that has effectively constrained Brazil's ability to join the club of first world countries.

I see so many parallels as we have amazingly progressed to a system where the Supreme Court is to be essentially owned by special interest as evidenced by Citizens United and a Congress that is obviously in the grips of special interest.

I would hope that some one could provide me hope that we could halt this spiral toward an autocracy but I can't see it happening.

There is potential that we could elect an advocate for social change but the uproar and resistance to them would make the resistance to Obama pale in comparison.
    No doubt, but most of these things poll very well, even among GOP voters. This gives me hope.

I've plugged them before, but The Weeds has a great podcast on these bills. Anyone interested should check it out.

Elizabeth Warren is closing her joint fundraising committee as she urges Democrats to shun big money in the 2020 presidential election

Good for her. I still think it'll be an uphill climb to overcome her less-than-charismatic presence and the attacks from right wing media, which tend to prove effective against opinionated female politicians. But I do think she has one of the strongest and most timely platforms I've seen in a long time, so if she can sell that often and in front of cameras over the next few years, I do think she has a good shot.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    the thing is, policy wise, hillary and bernie were very similar when it came down to what they were proposing.
    Amazing how, after Bernie started winning states, their policies became ď moreĒ similar. Hillary was the quintessential political chameleon; her positions changed, his never did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame

While I am not a big fan you are on to the fact that the party must create some excitement from the Bernie wing to prevent Jill Stein from siphoning off votes that could count for something!
    If the Dems nominate another hard core corporatist, they wonít get much support from true progressives.
    It really depends on what happens with Mueller; it Trumpís out its a free for all. If he somehow stays in office and out of jail (), Dems canít go hard left ( I should say wonít).
    In the end, many progressives will probably support whoever the
    Dems nominate ( begrudgingly, maybe) but only as long as HC arenít their initials. Someone like Beto would garner the most of their support IMO, because of his aversion to PAC money ( I wonder who started this trend...).

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Elizabeth Warren is closing her joint fundraising committee as she urges Democrats to shun big money in the 2020 presidential election

Good for her. I still think it'll be an uphill climb to overcome her less-than-charismatic presence and the attacks from right wing media, which tend to prove effective against opinionated female politicians. But I do think she has one of the strongest and most timely platforms I've seen in a long time, so if she can sell that often and in front of cameras over the next few years, I do think she has a good shot.

I believe she would get murdered in the Fall campaign. In this election, we need someone who can stand up to a bully. A streetfighter.

Joe Biden is about the only one that fits that bill. Unafraid to slug back when he takes a punch. He may have a loose mouth, but many people(like me) like someone who is frank, and isn't just telling you what you want to hear.

It's not a sexist thing, either. I doubt that Jimmy Carter (a great man and statesman) would fare well against this horse's rear and his fanboys in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    I believe she would get murdered in the Fall campaign. In this election, we need someone who can stand up to a bully. A streetfighter.

Joe Biden is about the only one that fits that bill. Unafraid to slug back when he takes a punch. He may have a loose mouth, but many people(like me) like someone who is frank, and isn't just telling you what you want to hear.

It's not a sexist thing, either. I doubt that Jimmy Carter (a great man and statesman) would fare well against this horse's rear and his fanboys in the media.
    biden sucks as a candidate though. he has royally flamed out any time he tried to run as president.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post

I think Joe Biden is a terrible choice, honestly. He's approaching 80 years old, and IMO 2016 was his last opportunity. He didn't take it.

Kamala Harris might be the kind of streetfighter that you're looking for, though. That said, I don't really agree that the Democratic candidate should get into a pig-wrassling match with Trump like we saw in the GOP primary. They simply need to have the rhetorical dexterity to let him stumble over his own childishness without falling into the muck with him. If candidates spend more time talking to Trump than to the voters, they're losing.

Hillary ran a bad campaign, yet still won the popular vote and probably would have edged out the EC with a few better decisions toward the end, and her "likeability" score started at -50. I'm not taking anything for granted, but I think we're overestimating Trump's presence in 2020. His 30% base of idiots will stick with him even if he's dragged out of Washington in handcuffs, but the biggest threat to any Democratic candidate will be lifelong the Republicans who throw their support behind him because they care about SCOTUS more than America.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    biden sucks as a candidate though. he has royally flamed out any time he tried to run as president.
    His two terms as Vice President may have mitigated some of that. The Dems have to bring along moderate and independent voters in the burbs and win Pennsylvania/Ohio to beat Drump. I don't see anyone on the horizon better than Biden to do that. Mix him in with someone like O'Rourke as VP and it could be an explosive combination.

His two terms as Vice President may have mitigated some of that. The Dems have to bring along moderate and independent voters in the burbs and win Pennsylvania/Ohio to beat Drump. I don't see anyone on the horizon better than Biden to do that. Mix him in with someone like O'Rourke as VP and it could be an explosive combination.
    i tend to agree with charmin's points above wrt biden.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    I think Joe Biden is a terrible choice, honestly. He's approaching 80 years old, and IMO 2016 was his last opportunity. He didn't take it.

Kamala Harris might be the kind of streetfighter that you're looking for, though. That said, I don't really agree that the Democratic candidate should get into a pig-wrassling match with Trump like we saw in the GOP primary. They simply need to have the rhetorical dexterity to let him stumble over his own childishness without falling into the muck with him. If candidates spend more time talking to Trump than to the voters, they're losing.

Hillary ran a bad campaign, yet still won the popular vote and probably would have edged out the EC with a few better decisions toward the end, and her "likeability" score started at -50. I'm not taking anything for granted, but I think we're overestimating Trump's presence in 2020. His 30% base of idiots will stick with him even if he's dragged out of Washington in handcuffs, but the biggest threat to any Democratic candidate will be lifelong the Republicans who throw their support behind him because they care about SCOTUS more than America.
    in all of this discussion about how bad and un-popular that hillary was, we need to remember that a foreign power was inundating the "airwaves" with negative crap about her (targeted at conservatives as well as bernie/jill bros) that got magnified by our own media.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Amazing how, after Bernie started winning states, their policies became “ more” similar. Hillary was the quintessential political chameleon; her positions changed, his never did.

i think that this is sort of a desired trait when trying to bring together a diverse coalition under a big tent. but i may be biased

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon