Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Why do you think Merkel opened Germany's borders?
It's frustratingly difficult to find this kind of data on European countries, for some reason. The only paper I found on German fertility was specifically West Germany, used data from decades ago, and basically concluded that women's participation in the laborforce was inversely related to fertility. But again, old data from half a country. It wouldn't surprise me if population trends were similar in Germany and the U.S., though.

But that's not the case everywhere, which is what I was looking to find. Those pinko commie Scandanavian countries that the right loves to hate? In Sweden, birthrate and income are almost linearly associated. Education level and work activity hold the same relationship. At some point, the right would be wise to calm their knee-jerk and largely uninformed opposition to countries with strong social support frameworks and realize that these programs often overlap with the ideals the right claims to support. They sometimes do a much better job than our own system, and we can learn from our allies.

Here's another article on Finland showing the same relationship: LINK

Link to article on Swedish data (PDF)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This is true. "American Exceptionalism" is nothing but a lie of arrogance and complacency, yet it is right-wing doctrine. That doctrine will be our downfall and too many are too blind to see it.
Several years ago I was doing some research on agricultural investing when farm land and commodity prices were rising dramatically. I ran into a study that explained that a very high percentage of global grain shipments come down the Mississippi River through the Port of New Orleans which gave the US a significant cost advantage versus Argentina and Brazil who lack road, rail and water routes to get grain to Atlantic ports. Couple that natural cost advantage with the glacially created richness in mid-west farm lands and the ongoing mechanization of agriculture and it becomes a basis for the food availability and wealth creation that has become described as American exceptionalism. Particularly considering that many countries such as China cannot achieve food sustainability much less utilize farming as a wealth creator.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Several years ago I was doing some research on agricultural investing when farm land and commodity prices were rising dramatically. I ran into a study that explained that a very high percentage of global grain shipments come down the Mississippi River through the Port of New Orleans which gave the US a significant cost advantage versus Argentina and Brazil who lack road, rail and water routes to get grain to Atlantic ports. Couple that natural cost advantage with the glacially created richness in mid-west farm lands and the ongoing mechanization of agriculture and it becomes a basis for the food availability and wealth creation that has become described as American exceptionalism. Particularly considering that many countries such as China cannot achieve food sustainability much less utilize farming as a wealth creator.
In the end, though, it depends on what you do with it. At least, it's a renewable resource and not just an exhaustible resource like oil, gold, etc. It will be interesting to see how farmers, who have been hurt disproportionately by the Trump tariffs will react, come ballot box time. He's been able to attain office by basically persuading millions to vote against their own interests. It'll be interesting to see if he can continue or will the man behind the curtain be discovered...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is true. "American Exceptionalism" is nothing but a lie of arrogance and complacency, yet it is right-wing doctrine. That doctrine will be our downfall and too many are too blind to see it.
Somewhat, yes - though I do have quite a few friends in other parts of the world who comment on how easy it is to start a business or to climb to a different economic class in the US relative to their country. It appears there are things here that allow easier economic upward mobility, but I can only relay what I've been told.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
In the end, though, it depends on what you do with it. At least, it's a renewable resource and not just an exhaustible resource like oil, gold, etc. It will be interesting to see how farmers, who have been hurt disproportionately by the Trump tariffs will react, come ballot box time. He's been able to attain office by basically persuading millions to vote against their own interests. It'll be interesting to see if he can continue or will the man behind the curtain be discovered...
True. Trump headed down a road on trade without knowing the result that was being sought or understanding the potential impact that could come from enacting tariffs. So now we have the US government essentially picking winners and losers in the process without an idea of the net impact on the total economy. So many more practical ways to have undertaken this with China such as building an alliance with the Europeans rather than alienating them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
most of the ag folks we deal with (apple/pear growers/packers, egg producers/packers) are still all in.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
True. Trump headed down a road on trade without knowing the result that was being sought or understanding the potential impact that could come from enacting tariffs. So now we have the US government essentially picking winners and losers in the process without an idea of the net impact on the total economy. So many more practical ways to have undertaken this with China such as building an alliance with the Europeans rather than alienating them.
or maybe some sort of partnership, one that could transit the entire pacific region we could call it the Trans Pacific Partnership or something. Man that would have been a good idea

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Multigenerational living is actually a valid response to this issue, but it is not as accepted in the US for whatever reason.
One of the reasons we will probably build a home instead of buying down here is that we have invited my wife's mom to come live with us. Moving from Vietnam at her age will surely be stressful for her. We wanted her to have her own space, so needing a second master bedroom and bath downstairs will likely require a new build. I'm also looking at getting something with a backyard big enough to have a worthwhile garden. Add a few bird feeders and I think my MIL will be happy with the arrangement. :)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Somewhat, yes - though I do have quite a few friends in other parts of the world who comment on how easy it is to start a business or to climb to a different economic class in the US relative to their country. It appears there are things here that allow easier economic upward mobility, but I can only relay what I've been told.
This is confirmed by virtually every conversation I've had with friends/colleagues from other countries. Perfect? Nothing is even close. Exceptional? Relative to almost every place else, yes. My wife certainly sees America as exceptional in comparison to her experience.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
No argument here. The USA is still arguably the best country overall to live in, but that's not the point.

The point is that when we begin to think the laws of economics and such don't apply to us it sets us down a dangerous path.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My view is even from a closer perspective, as I watch my daughter and SIL try to build a restaurant in the French Alps. Hard work, but I think they'll make it. However, the bureaucratic nonsense is monumental, compared to here. They are required to file what amounts to an income tax return every month, together with scanned copies of each and every invoice from their vendors. And that's just the beginning of the requirements. There would be a revolt here...

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
My view is even from a closer perspective, as I watch my daughter and SIL try to build a restaurant in the French Alps. Hard work, but I think they'll make it. However, the bureaucratic nonsense is monumental, compared to here. They are required to file what amounts to an income tax return every month, together with scanned copies of each and every invoice from their vendors. And that's just the beginning of the requirements. There would be a revolt here...
Yet we hear wails of woe all the time in this country for having to endure much less. Granted, some of it seems to be “make work” for ineffective STATE AND LOCAL governments that people mistakenly blame the federal government for, and that’s part of the problem. All politics is local.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Yet we hear wails of woe all the time in this country for having to endure much less. Granted, some of it seems to be “make work” for ineffective STATE AND LOCAL governments that people mistakenly blame the federal government for, and that’s part of the problem. All politics is local.

Having shipped product in the EU and seeing the development of that bureaucracy, seeing the local regulations in the UK on on the continent from afar one can see how difficult it would be to live and do business there.

I operated a small import business in Brazil with a Brazilian national for years. It was unbelievably difficult and arcane to start a business even for Brazilian citizens. The economy is practically closed to imports to protect local manufacturers who as a result are amazingly noncompetitive. Brazilians are basically prevented from investing in other countries and are oppressed by an arcane system of taxes at a local and national level. The country will never develop a first world economy.

I completely agree that in the US we have an extraordinarily open economy and investment climate which has been largely predictable over time. I would only say that there are things that our government could have done over the years to support our continued competitiveness in global trade.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
We sold into the UK for several years and until 2018 they used line printed 6 part forms for requesting payment.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we sell a lot of fruit to a partner of ours in the republic of georgia. he has an absolute nightmare of paperwork, reporting, duties, fees, invoice verification, etc. and many times it seems to be a moving target. china has a lot of onerous import regs, but once you know what to do, it's ok. the uae is pretty easy to work wrt documentation, etc. the saudis are saudis.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001

Yet, I hear all the time from the Left that we should be more like Europe.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Hence the “granted, .....” part of the post. That’s a problem with the states, not the fed.
At least 60% of the crap paperwork I had to deal with (and accompanying “fees”) in my last business were state and local regs.
I never hear “Europe” as an ideal - Spain and Italy are nightmares, Denmark not so much.
Canada isn’t in Europe, either - but I’m sure they appreciated you leaving them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Having interacted with various levels of government my entire working life, there is plenty of stupidity to go around at the local, state and federal level.

I hear all the time - even on this very board - how we should be more like Europe. Funny how every one of my friends and colleagues from Europe laments that Europe is like Europe.

Canada is not Europe? Thank you, Captain Obvious. Perhaps I would have mentioned Canada if I was talking about Canada.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hence the “granted, .....” part of the post. That’s a problem with the states, not the fed.
At least 60% of the crap paperwork I had to deal with (and accompanying “fees”) in my last business were state and local regs.
I never hear “Europe” as an ideal - Spain and Italy are nightmares, Denmark not so much.
Canada isn’t in Europe, either - but I’m sure they appreciated you leaving them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mrs. Basket Case and I were in Copenhagen last spring. Doesn’t speak to foreign trade, but the Danes charge a 50% tax on the purchase of cars. No typo— fifty per cent. So not exactly friendly to heavy industry.

They do have gorgeous women, though. Far more than Sweden, which was opposite of what I expected.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.