Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Mrs. Basket Case and I were in Copenhagen last spring. Doesn’t speak to foreign trade, but the Danes charge a 50% tax on the purchase of cars. No typo— fifty per cent. So not exactly friendly to heavy industry.
It's been about 20 years since I lived in South Korea, so things may have changed. But, at the time they had a very protectionist economy. The result: consumer goods were expensive and of low quality. They exported the good stuff. For domestic consumption: buy crap or buy nothing.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
We don't have a dedicated "wealth tax" thread, so I'll just toss this in here:

Dems offer legislation to tax financial transactions

Under the legislation, sales of stocks, bonds and derivatives would be taxed at a rate of 0.1 percent. The tax would apply to sales made in the U.S. or by U.S. persons, and initial securities issuances and short-term debt would be exempt.

The Joint Committee on Taxation has estimated that a similar tax would raise $777 billion over 10 years.
Deeper dive: LINK

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We don't have a dedicated "wealth tax" thread, so I'll just toss this in here:

Dems offer legislation to tax financial transactions

Deeper dive: LINK
Honestly I don't know how this becomes an agenda item for a party that is in a minority in the Senate. It is beginning to look a lot chaotic in terms of the party's focus on an agenda that will win the Presidency. Then we can talk about revenue generation and market regulation.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Mrs. Basket Case and I were in Copenhagen last spring. Doesn’t speak to foreign trade, but the Danes charge a 50% tax on the purchase of cars. No typo— fifty per cent. So not exactly friendly to heavy industry.
A nation the size of Wisconsin can do things the US cannot.
And vice versa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.