Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Elizabeth Warren is really growing on me lately. While I've respected her fights against banks like Wells Fargo and her advocacy for greater consumer protection, she's not been my favorite rumored candidate for 2020. But if she actually builds a real platform aimed at tackling money and corruption in American politics, which I've long felt to be the most fundamental threat to our society, I will gladly reconsider. Bazz, this is what draining the swamp actually looks like.

Accountable Capitalism Act
- Corporations with over $1B revenue would be required to allow their workers to elect 40 percent of the membership of their board of directors.
- Corporate executives would be limited in their ability to sell shares of stock that they receive as pay; such shares be held for at least five years after they were received, and at least three years after a share buyback.
- Corporate political activity must be authorized by both 75% of shareholders and 75% of board members.

Anti-Corruption and Public Integrity Act
- Imposes a lifetime ban on lobbying for presidents, federal lawmakers, judges, and cabinet secretaries.
- Apply conflict of interest laws to presidents, vice presidents, senior government officials, and White House staff.
- Prohibits companies from immediately hiring or paying any senior government official from an agency/department/Congressional office recently lobbied by that company.
- Bans all lobbying on behalf of foreign governments.
- Mandates the release of tax returns for presidential candidates prior to their election and every year they hold office.
- Bans members of Congress, the White House staff, and federal judges from owning individual stocks, replacing them with managed investment accounts.
- Requires executive branch employees to recuse from all issues that might financially benefit themselves or a previous employer or client from the preceding 4 years.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Elizabeth Warren is really growing on me lately. While I've respected her fights against banks like Wells Fargo and her advocacy for greater consumer protection, she's not been my favorite rumored candidate for 2020. But if she actually builds a real platform aimed at tackling money and corruption in American politics, which I've long felt to be the most fundamental threat to our society, I will gladly reconsider. Bazz, this is what draining the swamp actually looks like.

- Corporations with over $1B revenue would be required to allow their workers to elect 40 percent of the membership of their board of directors.
- Corporate executives would be limited in their ability to sell shares of stock that they receive as pay; such shares be held for at least five years after they were received, and at least three years after a share buyback.
- Corporate political activity must be authorized by both 75% of shareholders and 75% of board members.

- Imposes a lifetime ban on lobbying for presidents, federal lawmakers, judges, and cabinet secretaries.
- Apply conflict of interest laws to presidents, vice presidents, senior government officials, and White House staff.
- Prohibits companies from immediately hiring or paying any senior government official from an agency/department/Congressional office recently lobbied by that company.
- Mandates the release of tax returns for presidential candidates prior to their election and every year they hold office.
- Bans members of Congress, the White House staff, and federal judges from owning individual stocks, replacing them with managed investment accounts.
- Requires executive branch employees to recuse from all issues that might financially benefit themselves or a previous employer or client from the preceding 4 years.
But her nickname is Pocahontas. She must be just a silly woman.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

As long as we understand what a gigantic hurdle it is for a progressive to succeed against the entrenched elite that are effectively steering this country toward an autocracy.

A case in point would be Brazil where Michel Temer came to New York to gain the approval of bond holders in their effort to take out the democratically elected President, Dilma Rousseff, though extensive bribes of the legislative and judicial system of Brazil. Their main purpose has been to end Brazil's spending on social programs and the campaign against corruption that has effectively constrained Brazil's ability to join the club of first world countries.

I see so many parallels as we have amazingly progressed to a system where the Supreme Court is to be essentially owned by special interest as evidenced by Citizens United and a Congress that is obviously in the grips of special interest.

I would hope that some one could provide me hope that we could halt this spiral toward an autocracy but I can't see it happening.

There is potential that we could elect an advocate for social change but the uproar and resistance to them would make the resistance to Obama pale in comparison.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
As long as we understand what a gigantic hurdle it is for a progressive to succeed against the entrenched elite that are effectively steering this country toward an autocracy.

A case in point would be Brazil where Michel Temer came to New York to gain the approval of bond holders in their effort to take out the democratically elected President, Dilma Rousseff, though extensive bribes of the legislative and judicial system of Brazil. Their main purpose has been to end Brazil's spending on social programs and the campaign against corruption that has effectively constrained Brazil's ability to join the club of first world countries.

I see so many parallels as we have amazingly progressed to a system where the Supreme Court is to be essentially owned by special interest as evidenced by Citizens United and a Congress that is obviously in the grips of special interest.

I would hope that some one could provide me hope that we could halt this spiral toward an autocracy but I can't see it happening.

There is potential that we could elect an advocate for social change but the uproar and resistance to them would make the resistance to Obama pale in comparison.
We haven't had that kind of moxie since Lyndon Johnson. Obama's promises were D.O.A. - given the extremist wing in charge of the GOP, and a feckless Democratic Party wing too timid to stand up for what's right.

In the end, the Obama administration was yet another centrist, corporatist entity. Despite the accusations that he was uber-left. He basically allowed the insurance industry to write the Affordable Care Act. And he continued previous entrenched misadventures in the M.E.

I hope Sen. Warren does not run. She comes off a little too shrill for Middle America. Plus, she's not very likable. In my opinion, she's right on most matters, but she's not electable.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i just wanted to add, effectively dismantling the vra in 2013 allowing disenfranchisement in the name of combating "voter fraud"

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
We haven't had that kind of moxie since Lyndon Johnson. Obama's promises were D.O.A. - given the extremist wing in charge of the GOP, and a feckless Democratic Party wing too timid to stand up for what's right.

In the end, the Obama administration was yet another centrist, corporatist entity. Despite the accusations that he was uber-left. He basically allowed the insurance industry to write the Affordable Care Act. And he continued previous entrenched misadventures in the M.E.

I hope Sen. Warren does not run. She comes off a little too shrill for Middle America. Plus, she's not very likable. In my opinion, she's right on most matters, but she's not electable.
I unfortunately agree with this. She might be a little more likable than Clinton but I am not sure. Corporate America would go "all in" to support her opponent, they have too much to lose in the event she would be elected.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Do you not think that business will just flee the country and import rather than give up control of what they own?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I unfortunately agree with this. She might be a little more likable than Clinton but I am not sure. Corporate America would go "all in" to support her opponent, they have too much to lose in the event she would be elected.
pretty much any woman who speaks up on any issue is labeled as shrill.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
She could be a strong VP candidate.
While I am not a big fan you are on to the fact that the party must create some excitement from the Bernie wing to prevent Jill Stein from siphoning off votes that could count for something!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
While I am not a big fan you are on to the fact that the party must create some excitement from the Bernie wing to prevent Jill Stein from siphoning off votes that could count for something!
the thing is, policy wise, hillary and bernie were very similar when it came down to what they were proposing.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
In the end, I think Jill Stein is as embroiled in the Russian business as Trump is.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

No doubt, but most of these things poll very well, even among GOP voters. This gives me hope.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I've plugged them before, but The Weeds has a great podcast on these bills. Anyone interested should check it out.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Elizabeth Warren is closing her joint fundraising committee as she urges Democrats to shun big money in the 2020 presidential election

Good for her. I still think it'll be an uphill climb to overcome her less-than-charismatic presence and the attacks from right wing media, which tend to prove effective against opinionated female politicians. But I do think she has one of the strongest and most timely platforms I've seen in a long time, so if she can sell that often and in front of cameras over the next few years, I do think she has a good shot.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
the thing is, policy wise, hillary and bernie were very similar when it came down to what they were proposing.
Amazing how, after Bernie started winning states, their policies became “ more” similar. Hillary was the quintessential political chameleon; her positions changed, his never did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If the Dems nominate another hard core corporatist, they won’t get much support from true progressives.
It really depends on what happens with Mueller; it Trump’s out its a free for all. If he somehow stays in office and out of jail ([emoji2961]), Dems can’t go hard left ( I should say won’t).
In the end, many progressives will probably support whoever the
Dems nominate ( begrudgingly, maybe) but only as long as HC aren’t their initials. Someone like Beto would garner the most of their support IMO, because of his aversion to PAC money ( I wonder who started this trend...[emoji848][emoji57]).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Elizabeth Warren is closing her joint fundraising committee as she urges Democrats to shun big money in the 2020 presidential election

Good for her. I still think it'll be an uphill climb to overcome her less-than-charismatic presence and the attacks from right wing media, which tend to prove effective against opinionated female politicians. But I do think she has one of the strongest and most timely platforms I've seen in a long time, so if she can sell that often and in front of cameras over the next few years, I do think she has a good shot.

I believe she would get murdered in the Fall campaign. In this election, we need someone who can stand up to a bully. A streetfighter.

Joe Biden is about the only one that fits that bill. Unafraid to slug back when he takes a punch. He may have a loose mouth, but many people(like me) like someone who is frank, and isn't just telling you what you want to hear.

It's not a sexist thing, either. I doubt that Jimmy Carter (a great man and statesman) would fare well against this horse's rear and his fanboys in the media.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.