Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption

Elizabeth Warren is really growing on me lately. While I've respected her fights against banks like Wells Fargo and her advocacy for greater consumer protection, she's not been my favorite rumored candidate for 2020. But if she actually builds a real platform aimed at tackling money and corruption in American politics, which I've long felt to be the most fundamental threat to our society, I will gladly reconsider. Bazz, this is what draining the swamp actually looks like.

Accountable Capitalism Act
    - Corporations with over $1B revenue would be required to allow their workers to elect 40 percent of the membership of their board of directors.
    - Corporate executives would be limited in their ability to sell shares of stock that they receive as pay; such shares be held for at least five years after they were received, and at least three years after a share buyback.
    - Corporate political activity must be authorized by both 75% of shareholders and 75% of board members.

Anti-Corruption and Public Integrity Act
    - Imposes a lifetime ban on lobbying for presidents, federal lawmakers, judges, and cabinet secretaries.
    - Apply conflict of interest laws to presidents, vice presidents, senior government officials, and White House staff.
    - Prohibits companies from immediately hiring or paying any senior government official from an agency/department/Congressional office recently lobbied by that company.
    - Bans all lobbying on behalf of foreign governments.
    - Mandates the release of tax returns for presidential candidates prior to their election and every year they hold office.
    - Bans members of Congress, the White House staff, and federal judges from owning individual stocks, replacing them with managed investment accounts.
    - Requires executive branch employees to recuse from all issues that might financially benefit themselves or a previous employer or client from the preceding 4 years.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Elizabeth Warren and Anti-Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Elizabeth Warren is really growing on me lately. While I've respected her fights against banks like Wells Fargo and her advocacy for greater consumer protection, she's not been my favorite rumored candidate for 2020. But if she actually builds a real platform aimed at tackling money and corruption in American politics, which I've long felt to be the most fundamental threat to our society, I will gladly reconsider. Bazz, this is what draining the swamp actually looks like.

- Corporations with over $1B revenue would be required to allow their workers to elect 40 percent of the membership of their board of directors.
    - Corporate executives would be limited in their ability to sell shares of stock that they receive as pay; such shares be held for at least five years after they were received, and at least three years after a share buyback.
    - Corporate political activity must be authorized by both 75% of shareholders and 75% of board members.

- Imposes a lifetime ban on lobbying for presidents, federal lawmakers, judges, and cabinet secretaries.
    - Apply conflict of interest laws to presidents, vice presidents, senior government officials, and White House staff.
    - Prohibits companies from immediately hiring or paying any senior government official from an agency/department/Congressional office recently lobbied by that company.
    - Mandates the release of tax returns for presidential candidates prior to their election and every year they hold office.
    - Bans members of Congress, the White House staff, and federal judges from owning individual stocks, replacing them with managed investment accounts.
    - Requires executive branch employees to recuse from all issues that might financially benefit themselves or a previous employer or client from the preceding 4 years.
    But her nickname is Pocahontas. She must be just a silly woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post

As long as we understand what a gigantic hurdle it is for a progressive to succeed against the entrenched elite that are effectively steering this country toward an autocracy.

A case in point would be Brazil where Michel Temer came to New York to gain the approval of bond holders in their effort to take out the democratically elected President, Dilma Rousseff, though extensive bribes of the legislative and judicial system of Brazil. Their main purpose has been to end Brazil's spending on social programs and the campaign against corruption that has effectively constrained Brazil's ability to join the club of first world countries.

I see so many parallels as we have amazingly progressed to a system where the Supreme Court is to be essentially owned by special interest as evidenced by Citizens United and a Congress that is obviously in the grips of special interest.

I would hope that some one could provide me hope that we could halt this spiral toward an autocracy but I can't see it happening.

There is potential that we could elect an advocate for social change but the uproar and resistance to them would make the resistance to Obama pale in comparison.

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    As long as we understand what a gigantic hurdle it is for a progressive to succeed against the entrenched elite that are effectively steering this country toward an autocracy.

A case in point would be Brazil where Michel Temer came to New York to gain the approval of bond holders in their effort to take out the democratically elected President, Dilma Rousseff, though extensive bribes of the legislative and judicial system of Brazil. Their main purpose has been to end Brazil's spending on social programs and the campaign against corruption that has effectively constrained Brazil's ability to join the club of first world countries.

I see so many parallels as we have amazingly progressed to a system where the Supreme Court is to be essentially owned by special interest as evidenced by Citizens United and a Congress that is obviously in the grips of special interest.

I would hope that some one could provide me hope that we could halt this spiral toward an autocracy but I can't see it happening.

There is potential that we could elect an advocate for social change but the uproar and resistance to them would make the resistance to Obama pale in comparison.
    We haven't had that kind of moxie since Lyndon Johnson. Obama's promises were D.O.A. - given the extremist wing in charge of the GOP, and a feckless Democratic Party wing too timid to stand up for what's right.

In the end, the Obama administration was yet another centrist, corporatist entity. Despite the accusations that he was uber-left. He basically allowed the insurance industry to write the Affordable Care Act. And he continued previous entrenched misadventures in the M.E.

I hope Sen. Warren does not run. She comes off a little too shrill for Middle America. Plus, she's not very likable. In my opinion, she's right on most matters, but she's not electable.

i just wanted to add, effectively dismantling the vra in 2013 allowing disenfranchisement in the name of combating "voter fraud"
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    We haven't had that kind of moxie since Lyndon Johnson. Obama's promises were D.O.A. - given the extremist wing in charge of the GOP, and a feckless Democratic Party wing too timid to stand up for what's right.

In the end, the Obama administration was yet another centrist, corporatist entity. Despite the accusations that he was uber-left. He basically allowed the insurance industry to write the Affordable Care Act. And he continued previous entrenched misadventures in the M.E.

I hope Sen. Warren does not run. She comes off a little too shrill for Middle America. Plus, she's not very likable. In my opinion, she's right on most matters, but she's not electable.
    I unfortunately agree with this. She might be a little more likable than Clinton but I am not sure. Corporate America would go "all in" to support her opponent, they have too much to lose in the event she would be elected.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    She could be a strong VP candidate.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

Do you not think that business will just flee the country and import rather than give up control of what they own?

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    i honestly think she could probably get more accomplished in the senate.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I unfortunately agree with this. She might be a little more likable than Clinton but I am not sure. Corporate America would go "all in" to support her opponent, they have too much to lose in the event she would be elected.
    pretty much any woman who speaks up on any issue is labeled as shrill.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    While I am not a big fan you are on to the fact that the party must create some excitement from the Bernie wing to prevent Jill Stein from siphoning off votes that could count for something!

While I am not a big fan you are on to the fact that the party must create some excitement from the Bernie wing to prevent Jill Stein from siphoning off votes that could count for something!
    the thing is, policy wise, hillary and bernie were very similar when it came down to what they were proposing.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American

In the end, I think Jill Stein is as embroiled in the Russian business as Trump is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?