Mobile won't give South Alabama's poor football team ten million

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
My wife just got this email:
"The University's request to the City Council of Mobile for $10 million in financial support for our on-campus football stadium was not approved by the Council at its meeting today."

I put this here because even though it has something to do with sports, it's really political. It's about people with power trying to take taxpayer money and use it however they want. South Alabama when they were starting a program never talked about needing a massive expenditure like a football stadium. They did however get rent free use of Ladd. Now, after touting the need for and plans for a football stadium, they started to move forward. The catch? Oh yeah, they needed the City of Mobile to give them 10 million, and another 5 million to come at taxpayers expense as well. This to fund a stadium for an athletic department that's already heavily subsided and already losing millions of dollars a year.

Now, we can debate the need for a new stadium in Mobile and so on, but I am tired of this method of building things across the country. Didn't the University of Alabama announce a massive plan to upgrade and build facilities for their athletic department? Did I miss the part where they wanted a giant chunk of that paid for by taxpayers and the city of Tuscaloosa? Why is it that it's ok for people with products the consumers really don't support, to go around with their hand out to the city, state, and taxpayers in general and try to coerce their support? If people want to support the product they'll do so, but stop trying to make me pay for things I don't want.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.