What was your toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take?

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Pick 6 for me. My son in law is a barner and was at my house to watch the game. I went totally silent. I could not even bring myself to talk about it for a week or so.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I typically don’t get as upset as I used to (must be an age thing). That Clemson loss though was tough to take. I wore black the rest of the week and then a month later my Falcons just crushed my spirit again. Both teams lost because the offense couldn’t stay on the field long enough to let the defense rest.
The age thing gets me as well. I was 13 when Bama lost to Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. The man next door was a Catholic from Ohio and went to the Sugar Bowl pulling for Notre Dame. He could not understand why I didn't like the game because it was a great college football game regardless of the outcome. Fast forward (way forward) to the kick-6. I was not happy but I also saw that it was a big play with huge implications and a college classic from just that one play (I was more like "wow"); it did not bother me as much as it should have.

There are a couple of basketball losses that bothered me almost as much as the Sugar Bowl loss...

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'm sure it's been mentioned but that Pick 6 game that we should have won. I think we had the ball on like their 25 yard line, up 7 with like 4 minutes left in the game before a series of mistakes.. basically lost a possible NC with that game. 2nd place would be the Cam game. Another game where we made so many mistakes. Take away just one or two of those and we win. 3rd was the UCLA game. ranked 3rd, Milons returning an early punt for a TD.. Broadcaster quotes something along the lines of "This may be the best team in the country"..may have been Jackson. All heck breaks loose from that point on

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well that’s just pooh...so do you think Alabama could have even beaten Nebraska, Penn State, Miami, or FSU that year???
I think in one game we could have beaten any of them.

Miami? Absolutely, they were not the beast that year.
Penn St? Yes
Florida St? Maybe, they were stud back then
Nebraska? Probably

Even our loss against Florida could very easily have gone in our direction.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Punt Bama punt -- our d was so good we could have given AU the ball on the 50 and they would never have scored.

Kick 6 -- said to my wife as we lined up for the FG attempt -- "This could go bad."

Clemson -- you could see that our d was worn out. The pick play was obvious, but impossible to stop if the refs don't call it.

As far as upset, the Ole Miss loss recently robbed me of a lot of sleep when I had to preach two services the next day.

The sun still shines....

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
All of the losses have been hard to bare for me as with each of you, but the '73 Sugar bowl loss to Notre Dame made me cry like a baby lol!! But even that was not the toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take for me!!

That would be the total beatdown by Nebraska in the 1972 Orange bowl by Nebraska, 38-6!! That was sickening the whole 4 quarters and there was no doubt we should not have even been in the same stadium with them!! No contest whatsoever!!

Nebraska actually called off the dogs on us that night!! :mad2:
The Big 8 became dominate over that period. Coach Bryant's brand at Bama was to out quick the competition then the Big 8 began recruiting bigger faster players and it was game over. It was brutal to see Bama being completely out manned over these years. Southern teams quickly found they they were going to have to recruit the athletes that were being forced to go north to play if they were going to be competitive.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
1976 Sweet 16 loss to Indiana in Baton Rogue. Bama was better than Indiana and would have won NC.

Bama got to BR by running UNC completely out of the building in Dayton. A UNC whose HC and FOUR of their players would be wearing Olympic Basketball Gold Medals later that Summer.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Clemson and the 2010 Iron Bowl. You could feel the stadium go empty when Ingram fumbled before the half and the ball went like 25 yards in a straight line instead of going out of bounds. After $cammy threw that TD pass over Barron (we were going crazy wondering why he didn't get his hands up as we didn't know in the stadium that he was hurt) we knew for sure we were doomed.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Clemson and the 2010 Iron Bowl. You could feel the stadium go empty when Ingram fumbled before the half and the ball went like 25 yards in a straight line instead of going out of bounds. After $cammy threw that TD pass over Barron (we were going crazy wondering why he didn't get his hands up as we didn't know in the stadium that he was hurt) we knew for sure we were doomed.
You were late to the doom and gloom. I knew at the half after Bama left 18 points on the table in the first half. Score should have been 42-0 or 42-7 and game over.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
You were late to the doom and gloom. I knew at the half after Bama left 18 points on the table in the first half. Score should have been 42-0 or 42-7 and game over.
Not really because the fumble was just before the half as well:wink: I agree on the points, if we do indeed score on that drive at the end of the half we put that game away not to mention the other chances as well. We dominated them in the 1st half just to come out totally different in the 2nd half.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not really because the fumble was just before the half as well:wink:
Actually, it was just barely into the second quarter....

I agree on the points, if we do indeed score on that drive at the end of the half we put that game away not to mention the other chances as well. We dominated them in the 1st half just to come out totally different in the 2nd half.
My Oregon buddy was raving about as at halftime and I told him - "we left too many points on the board."

And we did.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
2014 BCSNCG - The momentum shift was palpable when FSU pulled that fake punt off, then FSU marched down the field with a sense of inevitability when we scored too quickly to get the lead back in the 4th.

2014 aTm - Comedy of errors loss when we still had the playoff in sight. 4th quarter botched snap and a fumble at the goal line with minutes to go tanked the season.

2014 Iron Bowl - Offense played well enough to beat anybody, but the defensive come apart spelled the end for the Ellis Johnson experiment.

2015 Louisville - A game we won, but you could literally feel JJ's psyche snap. Everyone was dumbfounded. Guy was a completely different player. The talent was real. Whatever struggles he had stemmed from a problem between his ears.

2017 LSU - Gus learned an important lesson about taking his foot off the gas.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm not in any way trying to disparage those of you who selected 1994 Florida, but I might have been more relieved after that loss than I've ever been.

Because we were going to get hosed by the media's infatuation with Tom "Never Won A Title" Osborne. Remember - it happened to Joe Paterno and back in the day, Stallings wasn't in the same zip code as Paterno nationally for "does the right thing." Time has overturned that character issue, but anyone here who thinks we'd have won the national title that year is fooling themselves. We'd have played Florida State in the Sugar Bowl, beat them, and 1994 would be up there with 1966 in "Alabama went unbeaten but only finished third."

So I was actually more relieved when we lost than anything else. Not happy, no. But for Pete's sake, we were gonna take it royally that year.
I can't honestly say I've ever been 'relieved' to not win an SEC Championship. That game meant a hell of a lot and especially against CSS's Gators. It was a heartbreaking loss that ended any chance of any kind of Title after being an undefeated hopeful all year.

All that other stuff is hindsight is 20/20. At the time none of it was written in stone. For all we knew we had a shot at some type of NC split if one or both teams ahead stumbled.

They didn't....Neither did.... I get it....so in hindsight yes we probably only finish #2 or #3 at best...

But so what? I'd have rather been #2-3 (13-0) SEC/Sugar Bowl Champs after beating Fla and FSU back to back than #4-5 (12-1) Citrus Bowl winner over tOSU.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I can't honestly say I've ever been 'relieved' to not win an SEC Championship. That game meant a hell of a lot and especially against CSS's Gators. It was a heartbreaking loss that ended any chance of any kind of Title after being an undefeated hopeful all year.

All that other stuff is hindsight is 20/20. At the time none of it was written in stone. For all we knew we had a shot at some type of NC split if one or both teams ahead stumbled.

They didn't....Neither did.... I get it....so in hindsight yes we probably only finish #2 or #3 at best...

But so what? I'd have rather been #2-3 (13-0) SEC/Sugar Bowl Champs after beating Fla and FSU back to back than #4-5 (12-1) Citrus Bowl winner over tOSU.
And I "get" where you're coming from, I honestly do.

But to me an SEC title without a national title during an unbeaten season.....not something I want to live through to be honest with ya.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't remember the year, but we were still in the losing streak to UT, and they completed a pass for a first down on something like 4th and 21 and went on to win the game. I wanted to puke.

As bad as that was, though, it has to be the 2013 loss to AU. We were going for three in a row and should have been ahead by two touchdowns in that game, but we weren't, and we lost. That one made me not even think about football for a while. I tried to recover for the bowl game, but we completely pooped our pants in that one. We were undefeated and looking for a three peat and ended up losing the last two. I hated the end to that season.

I must say that the 89 loss at Auburn probably made me the most angry. Again, we were undefeated, but we were heading to Auburn for the first time. I think the final was 30-20, and I had a lot of bad words and angry actions during that one. I must admit that I am glad that I do not get that angry about football games any more. I still get a little ticked at times, but I rarely let it affect the rest of my day any more. Of course, we haven't lost very much in the last ten years! Roll Tide!

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Three games are tough for me but I displayed different emotions with each of them.

Anger-The loss that made me most angry was the 1983 game at Penn State. One of the all time great 4th quarter comebacks that we won and had it taken away from us by the officials.

Shock- The Kick-6. That one had me the most shocked as it took a while to accept what I had just seen. It was definitely gut-wrenching.

Disappointment- Clemson, I was most disappointed at that game because it was a game we could have won but I think some bad clock management cost us that one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't remember the year, but we were still in the losing streak to UT, and they completed a pass for a first down on something like 4th and 21 and went on to win the game. I wanted to puke.

4th and 19

In the second overtime

As bad as that was, though, it has to be the 2013 loss to AU. We were going for three in a row and should have been ahead by two touchdowns in that game, but we weren't, and we lost. That one made me not even think about football for a while. I tried to recover for the bowl game, but we completely pooped our pants in that one. We were undefeated and looking for a three peat and ended up losing the last two. I hated the end to that season.

I must say that the 89 loss at Auburn probably made me the most angry. Again, we were undefeated, but we were heading to Auburn for the first time. I think the final was 30-20, and I had a lot of bad words and angry actions during that one. I must admit that I am glad that I do not get that angry about football games any more. I still get a little ticked at times, but I rarely let it affect the rest of my day any more. Of course, we haven't lost very much in the last ten years! Roll Tide!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Three games are tough for me but I displayed different emotions with each of them.

Anger-The loss that made me most angry was the 1983 game at Penn State. One of the all time great 4th quarter comebacks that we won and had it taken away from us by the officials.

Shock- The Kick-6. That one had me the most shocked as it took a while to accept what I had just seen. It was definitely gut-wrenching.

Disappointment- Clemson, I was most disappointed at that game because it was a game we could have won but I think some bad clock management cost us that one.
That 83 PSU game had slipped my mind, but I was 13 then and remember that being a lesson from my step-dad that we shouldn't have fallen behind that much. That lesson did not help my anger!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.