What was your toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Getting run out of the Rose Bowl by UCLA to open the season stung. There's just something painful about folks in baby blue chanting "Overrated" at you that hurts.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Getting run out of the Rose Bowl by UCLA to open the season stung. There's just something painful about folks in baby blue chanting "Overrated" at you that hurts.
That definitely left a mark. That one doesn't hurt, but only because I have buried that entire season under a heavy load of denial. :)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
^^ This ^^

excellent point Selma. Even though I listed the 2012 loss to Bama in this thread, in reality, it’s emotional effect on me was no where near the 1994 loss to Auburn when we threw all of the Pick sixes. I will say, though, that in the 2012 game - my Bama son, then a 14 year old huge LSU fan, was quite upset. That made it harder on me.
I had the flu and pneumonia at the time of the 2012 aTm loss. It was truly a horrible day/week, but everything did get better quickly.

And yeah, my response to losses has changed over the years as I've matured but they still hurt too badly.

The AU loss this past year was a low point, but my father had just passed as well so it was tough to take. Still, it got better quickly (the hurt of the loss) just like 2012.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
^^ This ^^

excellent point Selma. Even though I listed the 2012 loss to Bama in this thread, in reality, it’s emotional effect on me was no where near the 1994 loss to Auburn when we threw all of the Pick sixes. I will say, though, that in the 2012 game - my Bama son, then a 14 year old huge LSU fan, was quite upset. That made it harder on me.
that 1994 game, even I was screaming at the TV "Stop throwing the ball!"

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
As an LSU fan, it’s the 2012 loss to Bama. Yes, I hated the loss in the NC game earlier that year, but we were complacent. We went into that game unprepared and overconfident. We got embarrassed and needed revenge. Fast forward to November 2012 and the game was there for LSU to take. We received a punt deep in our own territory. We drove down to the Bama 32 yard line, gaining most of the yardage on Mettenberger passes to Landry and Beckham. Les Miles absolutely went conservative. Run for 3 yards, run losing 3 yards, run again, missed FG. You know the rest.

I will never forgive Les Miles for that.
I don't believe in any way that the LSU players or coaching staff was overconfident. It's even hard to believe that the fans were that stupid. Bama had controlled the game in Tusc, they just could make if count on the scoreboard. LSU had done nothing offensively - barely had over 200 yds of total offense. They crossed the 30 twice in regulation, Bama 6 times. IMO, they knew Bama was the better team. If they were overconfident - they are the most stupid sports team I've ever heard of. I just can't believe they were that stupid. I've heard LSU players (Hebert) talk about that game on local Bham radio and never has overconfidence or complacency even been considered. Maybe not being prepared but not the other.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
My top ten ...

1) Auburn 2010. Could have had a chance to deny Auburn a national championship, although they probably would still have gone to the BCSCG. Might have popped their bubble, though, which would have given Oregon a better shot at the upset if AU was questioning itself. And I'm not sure Newton gets the Heisman absent an undefeated season.
2) Clemson 2017. If for no other reason than the entire media world wanted to talk about it as being a "changing of the guard." :rolleye2:
3) Auburn 2013. Just ridiculous all the way around and AU almost won a title as a result.
4) Auburn 1997. Hate it for us, and for Ed Scissum in particular.
5) LSU 1986. Talk about games you watched slip away from you.
6) LSU 2011 (at BDS). Especially the deal with the "simultaneous catch" and some other questionable calls.
7) Louisiana Tech 1999. One of the few times I've ever known a lack of basic effort had a hand in killing a game for us.
8) Tennessee 2003. Forget 4th-and-19, let me tell you about 1st-and-2.
9) Minnesota 2004. Irrelevant game in the grand scheme of things but one of the few games in my life I could directly point to incompetence on the part of the game officials and say it cost a win.
10) Any other Auburn game I didn't list above. Maybe Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. I would say Notre Dame 1973 but I was less than age 1 at the time.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My top ten ...

1) Auburn 2010. Could have had a chance to deny Auburn a national championship, although they probably would still have gone to the BCSCG. Might have popped their bubble, though, which would have given Oregon a better shot at the upset if AU was questioning itself. And I'm not sure Newton gets the Heisman absent an undefeated season.
2) Clemson 2017. If for no other reason than the entire media world wanted to talk about it as being a "changing of the guard." :rolleye2:
3) Auburn 2013. Just ridiculous all the way around and AU almost won a title as a result.
4) Auburn 1997. Hate it for us, and for Ed Scissum in particular.
5) LSU 1986. Talk about games you watched slip away from you.
6) LSU 2011 (at BDS). Especially the deal with the "simultaneous catch" and some other questionable calls.
7) Louisiana Tech 1999. One of the few times I've ever known a lack of basic effort had a hand in killing a game for us.
8) Tennessee 2003. Forget 4th-and-19, let me tell you about 1st-and-2.
9) Minnesota 2004. Irrelevant game in the grand scheme of things but one of the few games in my life I could directly point to incompetence on the part of the game officials and say it cost a win.
10) Any other Auburn game I didn't list above. Maybe Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. I would say Notre Dame 1973 but I was less than age 1 at the time.
I can't click "like" to your post but I do agree with all of them. I was at the Minnesota game and I thought the physicality of the running backs they had made our defense look soft that day. I was just happy to see Alabama in a bowl game so I don't remember the bad calls by the officials.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I guess Auburn 2010 doesn't get me so badly. Sort of like last year's game. We had injury problems all year long in 2010 and they ultimately cost us that game. Yes, we didn't capitalize opportunities in the first half that would have buried them. But part of that was, overall, they were just better than us that day. We got the jump on them with the crowd and all that, but they were too good for us to ultimately kill them off early. Last year, we had all the LB injuries. I don't think Auburn was the better team overall by a long shot and the end of the season proved that out. But it also helped that losing that game didn't end our title hopes.

Don't get me wrong. Those two games would definitely rank in any top 10 I did.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
As an LSU fan, it’s the 2012 loss to Bama. Yes, I hated the loss in the NC game earlier that year, but we were complacent. We went into that game unprepared and overconfident. We got embarrassed and needed revenge. Fast forward to November 2012 and the game was there for LSU to take. We received a punt deep in our own territory. We drove down to the Bama 32 yard line, gaining most of the yardage on Mettenberger passes to Landry and Beckham. Les Miles absolutely went conservative. Run for 3 yards, run losing 3 yards, run again, missed FG. You know the rest.

I will never forgive Les Miles for that.
i figured this would have been the most gut-wrenching moment as an lsu fan ;)

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
It's a toss up between a few games. The loss to Utah in the Sugar Bowl was definitely one of them, but the most bitter pill was either the 24-pt comeback by Cam Newton or the Kick 6.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't believe in any way that the LSU players or coaching staff was overconfident. It's even hard to believe that the fans were that stupid. Bama had controlled the game in Tusc, they just could make if count on the scoreboard. LSU had done nothing offensively - barely had over 200 yds of total offense. They crossed the 30 twice in regulation, Bama 6 times. IMO, they knew Bama was the better team. If they were overconfident - they are the most stupid sports team I've ever heard of. I just can't believe they were that stupid. I've heard LSU players (Hebert) talk about that game on local Bham radio and never has overconfidence or complacency even been considered. Maybe not being prepared but not the other.
Trust me they were very confident that they were going to beat us by 2 tds in Nola.

You ought to dig up Daddy Herbert’s crap going into that game and after to see the level of confidence.

The 2012 game in Baton Rouge I honestly thought we were probably walking into either a good Miles-Saban battle or a Bama beat down. But what we got was a game incompetence by Nuss and chavis to see who was the most incompetent coordinator on the field.

Last edited:

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
Easy- forget the year (I'm sure y'all will remind me) but Payton Manning beats the crap out of us and leads their band in Rocky Top in the section next to me. I can't stand him to this day...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.