Security for schools

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My office does lunch n learns every Wednesday. Basically, it is product reps giving a free lunch with a presentation to convince us to use their product in our next building. This week’s was Won Door. They have come up with a possible solution to school security. It is a shutter that when activated closes and locks to lock off areas. Most buildings have these anyway in case of fire (they are called fire shutters.) it is an interesting idea. While it is not perfect, it can be a solution. We did point out that this could in turn make a kill zone and trap potential victims with the killer, but it is at least going in the right direction. It definitely could help reduce loss of life. Utah is currently trying to get it put into the building code to make it mandatory in all schools. It is a much better alternative than any ideas I have heard. Here is a link: http://wondoor.com/steelcurtain-type/ My office does a lot of K-12 schools and higher ed and government buildings. I think it is a good idea that needs a little work, One the steel curtain is not bullet proof (they are working on it) and two the accidental trapping of potential victims.

What do you guys think?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Someone is going to do it anyway so it might as well be me. Have they tested it against grizzlies?

Like you said it could cause victims to be trapped in the wrong place, and could even be worked into killer's plans to do just that if they have the know how to do so. The remote access thing could be nice to be able to block off areas and potentially slow down/trap would be killers as long as the person in charge of it has the information to make the right decisions and doesn't end up causing more problems than they help.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The problem - no disparaging towards the King here - is as you said. Every single solution is fraught with problems.

I'm terrified to say this - but something like it will probably happen one day.

Any of y'all think someone will murder and impersonate a pilot and then crash it into a stadium during one of these flyovers?

I mean, I hate that my thoughts have turned that way, but I have an Army buddy who has PTSD as I do, but his is apparently worse.
He wouldn't go to concerts - and as he noted, what happened in Vegas last October?

And he won't go to sporting events for the same reason. It would be kind of difficult for a person to get into BDS with
a gun capable of killing too awful many because they'd be overwhelmed by sheer numbers. (I won't say it would be impossible).

But either an explosive in a video camera/phone or - in the big scale - someone impersonating the pilot who flies one of those
flyover jets/cargo planes....you could kill more in a stadium than died at the WTC.

(They brought down Pan Am 103 with a Toshiba tape recorder for Pete's sake).

This doesn't thrill me btw that I think of this, either.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The problem - no disparaging towards the King here - is as you said. Every single solution is fraught with problems.

I'm terrified to say this - but something like it will probably happen one day.

Any of y'all think someone will murder and impersonate a pilot and then crash it into a stadium during one of these flyovers?

I mean, I hate that my thoughts have turned that way, but I have an Army buddy who has PTSD as I do, but his is apparently worse.
He wouldn't go to concerts - and as he noted, what happened in Vegas last October?

And he won't go to sporting events for the same reason. It would be kind of difficult for a person to get into BDS with
a gun capable of killing too awful many because they'd be overwhelmed by sheer numbers. (I won't say it would be impossible).

But either an explosive in a video camera/phone or - in the big scale - someone impersonating the pilot who flies one of those
flyover jets/cargo planes....you could kill more in a stadium than died at the WTC.

(They brought down Pan Am 103 with a Toshiba tape recorder for Pete's sake).

This doesn't thrill me btw that I think of this, either.

When we brought up the potential trapping of victims, the guy was a little shocked. We could tell, it had never even occurred to him/them. Some of us just have those darker thoughts (in this case it was one of my coworkers).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've thought for years about how easy it would be to take off in lear jet from Northport and hammer BDS. There'd be zero chance to stop it even if the tower knew what was going on while it was still taxiing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've thought for years about how easy it would be to take off in lear jet from Northport and hammer BDS. There'd be zero chance to stop it even if the tower knew what was going on while it was still taxiing.
Yep. It's not something that keeps me up at night, but what COULD happen is terrifying.

And it won't be the Super Bowl where there's plenty of security. It will be a well attended national TV spectacle that doesn't get the Super Bowl level of security.

But I better shut up. I'm qualified for the federal bench with Trump's standards so......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.