Question: The Braves: Can they do it?

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Fun watching them celebrate yesterday. Phils made it easier on us by falling apart at the end. Hopefully, they'll play well in the playoff. If you play well and lose, so be it. Just don't give it away.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Dodgers had 5 batters on the bench last night combine for 105 homers. The Braves have 108 total homers.

I’m proud of what they accomplished this year, but they are just a few years away from really thriving at this stage. I’m glad they won last night, but we are facing a team that spotted us a 5-0 lead but made it look easy In tying it.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Last night was fun. I stayed up really, really late watching postgame. And this was a big win for the building back of this franchise. Unreal how guys who have pitched relatively little in the majors (Touissant, Sobotka) can be successful in that big of a game.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
The Dodgers had 5 batters on the bench last night combine for 105 homers. The Braves have 108 total homers.

I’m proud of what they accomplished this year, but they are just a few years away from really thriving at this stage. I’m glad they won last night, but we are facing a team that spotted us a 5-0 lead but made it look easy In tying it.
You are right. An accomplishment for the Braves to win a game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This Braves team is frustrating to watch (youth = inconsistency), but I like their chances in a few years. They are a few pieces away from being very good.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This Braves team is frustrating to watch (youth = inconsistency), but I like their chances in a few years. They are a few pieces away from being very good.
Pitching was an issue all year. They need to get rid of the dead weight and get some good pitchers. No one had them in the playoffs at all before the season started. These guys over achieved.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pitching was an issue all year. They need to get rid of the dead weight and get some good pitchers. No one had them in the playoffs at all before the season started. These guys over achieved.
They played in a weak division and made the most of it. But their weakness was obvious. They struggled against the better teams in the game all season while feasting on the weaker teams. That means that they didn't overachieve. It means that they finished right where they belonged. Winners of a weak division, but not yet ready to win in the playoffs.

I agree that they need pitching to contend for a WS. Their offense and defense keep them in games, but their pitching is weak. Starters can't go deep enough into games, and their bullpen is the worst among teams that made the playoff.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
They played in a weak division and made the most of it. But their weakness was obvious. They struggled against the better teams in the game all season while feasting on the weaker teams. That means that they didn't overachieve. It means that they finished right where they belonged. Winners of a weak division, but not yet ready to win in the playoffs.

I agree that they need pitching to contend for a WS. Their offense and defense keep them in games, but their pitching is weak. Starters can't go deep enough into games, and their bullpen is the worst among teams that made the playoff.
Weak division or not, no one had them making the playoffs. I didn’t think they would. I thought there was way too much youth. Even when they were winning, I still had doubts. Then at the trade deadline, they made no effort to go out and get a pitcher(s) of any kind. I thought they would fold at the end of the regular season, but it turns out that was Philly. The Braves need to go and get some quality pitching to prove this was not a fluke year. They can be contenders with some solid pitching

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I can't agree that the pitching is weak. It is very, very young. They haven't learned how to consistently throw strikes. This was a weakness with the entire staff. Some of the guys that pitched in this series have barely pitched at the MLB level. Toussaint, Sobotka, Fried just to name a few. Newcomb has not quite 2 years experience. Folty has the most experience of the young guys. I think the Braves manager mishandled the starting rotation for this series. I would have led with my two veterans in Sanchez and Gausman out in LA and allowed Folty and Newcomb to start the games at home where they have a higher comfort level and support of fans.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't agree that the pitching is weak. It is very, very young. They haven't learned how to consistently throw strikes. This was a weakness with the entire staff. Some of the guys that pitched in this series have barely pitched at the MLB level. Toussaint, Sobotka, Fried just to name a few. Newcomb has not quite 2 years experience. Folty has the most experience of the young guys. I think the Braves manager mishandled the starting rotation for this series. I would have led with my two veterans in Sanchez and Gausman out in LA and allowed Folty and Newcomb to start the games at home where they have a higher comfort level and support of fans.
You may be right- time will tell. Young or not, they didn't make it deep enough into their games with their horrible bullpen. And their bullpen is pure garbage.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There is a group of homer radio guys and some fans that want the Braves to go and pay a ton of money to Bryce Harper. They think that would "solve everything".

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is a group of homer radio guys and some fans that want the Braves to go and pay a ton of money to Bryce Harper. They think that would "solve everything".
Given their payroll restrictions, it is the worst thing that they could possibly do. Whatever money they have left needs to be spent on pitching.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Most people agreed that the biggest issue for the Braves last year was the bullpen. They addressed none of it and are just keeping the same mediocre players as last year. In other words, same old Braves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.