Question: The Braves: Can they do it?

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Every time I'm about to think they're done, they put together a few wins and gain a few games in standings. The last week or so has been a rollercoaster. Sweep 4 game series from Marlins, get swept in 4 game series vs Rockies and now sweep 3 game series from Pirates. As of today, they hold a 3 game lead over Phillies.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Every time I'm about to think they're done, they put together a few wins and gain a few games in standings. The last week or so has been a rollercoaster. Sweep 4 game series from Marlins, get swept in 4 game series vs Rockies and now sweep 3 game series from Pirates. As of today, they hold a 3 game lead over Phillies.
Can they make the playoffs? Yes, I think they will. Will they actually do anything with it? Well, we have seen this movie before.

Signed long suffering Braves fan.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Can they make the playoffs? Yes, I think they will. Will they actually do anything with it? Well, we have seen this movie before.

Signed long suffering Braves fan.
I'm with you. I think making the playoffs and losing wouldn't be as devastating this year that it was during our 1991-2005 run. Shoulda won lots of championships during that time.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
No matter what happens, this team has been an exciting team to watch this year! That is a welcome change from the last handful of seasons.

I do hope they pull off the division crown, it would be a great reward for the year they’ve had.

#chopon

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
This division may come down to who loses it rather than who wins it. When either Phillies or Braves have had a chance to put some distance between the other team, they've hit a short losing skid to allow the other to stay close.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Gausman has been awesome, and being honest, in the four games in Miami the whole staff was great, but Freeman has been too quiet and things have been spotty at the plate. I think these final games against Washington and Philadelphia will decide things, but as of right now I would give them a 51% chance of getting in.

rtr

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think they'll make the playoffs but that's about it. Then once those youngsters get ready to sign their first big contract it's bye bye Atlanta because the Braves won't pay the money to keep them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If the season ended today:

NL

#1 Chicago Cubs vs St Louis/ Milwaukee
#2 Arizona vs #3 Atlanta

I think it would be very favorable for the Braves to reach the League championship series. From there I think they have a great chance to reach the WS if they play the Cards, a 50/50 shot if they play the Cubs, and not a great chance if the play the Brewers. I think at the very least they reach the playoffs, but how far depends on how they play on the road.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
If the season ended today:

NL

#1 Chicago Cubs vs St Louis/ Milwaukee
#2 Arizona vs #3 Atlanta

I think it would be very favorable for the Braves to reach the League championship series. From there I think they have a great chance to reach the WS if they play the Cards, a 50/50 shot if they play the Cubs, and not a great chance if the play the Brewers. I think at the very least they reach the playoffs, but how far depends on how they play on the road.
And they seem to play better on the road this year than at home. 36-31 at home, 39-29 on road. If we had played better at home, we'd be running away with it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And they seem to play better on the road this year than at home. 36-31 at home, 39-29 on road. If we had played better at home, we'd be running away with it.
Its a different beast on the road during September and October. You start to see 85%-95% stadiums compared to 60% filled. But I still maintain that the MLB playoffs favors the winner of the WC and the winner of the #2/#3 series more because of momentum and usually the #1 team gets caught flatfooted against a hot team from the WC and then has to play a division champ right after that series.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Uh, the magic number is actually 10. Braves won yesterday afternoon to go up by 7 games and drop the m# to 11. Then the Nats finished their sweep of the Phils moving the m# to 10 and giving the Braves a 7.5 game lead!!

After the Braves were swept by the Red Sox, I figured this would go down to the last weekend of the season. Just think, after the Red Sox series, the Braves were only 3 games up and the m# was 21. Braves then won last Thursday giving them a 3.5 lead and a m# of 20.

Friday, Braves lost and Phils won. 2.5 game lead now, still a m# of 20. It really looked like a race heading for the final weekend in Philly. Then Saturday thru last night happened. Braves when 5 straight and Phils lose 5 straight, dropping the m# to 10 and the division lead up to 7.5 games.

It’s been a fun 5 days for Braves fans. Can’t let up though, not with 7 games left against the Phillies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Uh, the magic number is actually 10. Braves won yesterday afternoon to go up by 7 games and drop the m# to 11. Then the Nats finished their sweep of the Phils moving the m# to 10 and giving the Braves a 7.5 game lead!!

After the Braves were swept by the Red Sox, I figured this would go down to the last weekend of the season. Just think, after the Red Sox series, the Braves were only 3 games up and the m# was 21. Braves then won last Thursday giving them a 3.5 lead and a m# of 20.

Friday, Braves lost and Phils won. 2.5 game lead now, still a m# of 20. It really looked like a race heading for the final weekend in Philly. Then Saturday thru last night happened. Braves when 5 straight and Phils lose 5 straight, dropping the m# to 10 and the division lead up to 7.5 games.

It’s been a fun 5 days for Braves fans. Can’t let up though, not with 7 games left against the Phillies.
Oh really? The AP article I read this morning said 11. Either way, the Braves appear in good shape.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Braves Magic number is now 4 with a 99.1 chance of winning the division

If the playoffs were to start to today

NL

#1 CHC
#2. LAD 4.5 GB
#3. Atlanta 4.5 GB
#4 Brewers 2.5 GB
#5. St Louis 5.5 GB

AL

#1 Boston
#2 Houston 8.5 GB
#3 Indians 18.5 GB
#4 Yankees 10.5 GB
#5 A's 12 GB

NL

WC: Brewers vs Cards Single Elimination

Divisional (Best of 5)

#1 CHC vs Mil/St Louis (3 in CHC)
#2 LAD vs #3 Atlanta (3 in LAD)

AL

WC: Yankees vs A's (Single elimination)

Divisional (best of 5)

#1 Boston vs NYY/ Oak (3 in Boston)
#2 Houston vs #3 Cleveland (3 in Houston)

The Braves to have a better chance really need to outpace the dodgers down the stretch. Keep in mind LAD owns the tie breaker. The braves, barring a monumental collapse, are going to win the division, but it would be nice to hold home field in the divisional round.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Braves Magic number is now 4 with a 99.1 chance of winning the division

If the playoffs were to start to today

NL

#1 CHC
#2. LAD 4.5 GB
#3. Atlanta 4.5 GB
#4 Brewers 2.5 GB
#5. St Louis 5.5 GB

AL

#1 Boston
#2 Houston 8.5 GB
#3 Indians 18.5 GB
#4 Yankees 10.5 GB
#5 A's 12 GB

NL

WC: Brewers vs Cards Single Elimination

Divisional (Best of 5)

#1 CHC vs Mil/St Louis (3 in CHC)
#2 LAD vs #3 Atlanta (3 in LAD)

AL

WC: Yankees vs A's (Single elimination)

Divisional (best of 5)

#1 Boston vs NYY/ Oak (3 in Boston)
#2 Houston vs #3 Cleveland (3 in Houston)

The Braves to have a better chance really need to outpace the dodgers down the stretch. Keep in mind LAD owns the tie breaker. The braves, barring a monumental collapse, are going to win the division, but it would be nice to hold home field in the divisional round.
Actually the Braves home record is not that good. Maybe they should be on the road?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Oh, I’m with ya but, I’m going to enjoy it while it last.

This team has achieved a whole lot more than anyone expected this year and they’ve been fun to watch. With their late inning scoring, you can’t ever count them out but, in the end, the bullpen will hold this team back in the playoffs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.